Jeep Wrangler TJ LED Headlight Upgrade Options

I ended up up getting genuine JW Speaker J2 units. The installation will be after I received the new buckets. I was pleasantly surprised to see very clear glass lens and hefty construction. Because of this, I want to make sure that the buckets are up to the task of holding them up. I have read great things about the JW units, and since I bought them at less than half the price for the pair, I couldn't pass it up. Currently the KC H4 conversion I have is not doing so well and I will probably redo the wiring loom later in the summer.

Any tips or suggestions about these Il Buono?

The stock buckets were definitely able to hold the lights without any problem. I got a pair of cheap H4 to H13 adapters off of ebay. Amazon also has them. I'm not really sure how they would hold up to long term abuse, but they worked well for me during the time I had the J2. Aiming the J2 headlights was so easy. The projector beam really makes is simple to get the lights where you want them at the crosshairs. With the Vision X headlights, it took me a bit more time to dial them in.

I stand corrected. These ARE Polycarbonate, but have a special coating and hardness to the lens. Fooled me for sure. The way the lens is shaped just rigidity to the assembly as well.

These are the ones:

JW Speaker J evo

It's a solid lens, but scratches do still develop. The passenger side on mine was pretty scratch-free, but the driver side had some scratches in the center. It was only noticeable up close though.

Reactions: Ephry73
I stand corrected. These ARE Polycarbonate, but have a special coating and hardness to the lens. Fooled me for sure. The way the lens is shaped just rigidity to the assembly as well.

These are the ones:

JW Speaker J evo
Darn it! I wonder how they hold up to sunlight over time? Even glass will eventually degrade, my Mercedes's E-code Hellas and fog lamps both have subtle sand pitting, but the Hellas are 20 years old and the fogs are older than that. Thanx for the update.

Darn it! I wonder how they hold up to sunlight over time? Even glass will eventually degrade, my Mercedes's E-code Hellas and fog lamps both have subtle sand pitting, but the Hellas are 20 years old and the fogs are older than that. Thanx for the update.
They claim it to be specially coated. I still cannot believe they are not glass after holding them in my hands and tapping on the with a metal screwdriver. We shall see once I mount them.

Reactions: Zorba
I have those headlights (and the matching fogs) they are super nice! High beams really light up your path!
EJD, what are the matching fog lights for the KC Gravity? We recently purchased a 2003 TJR and it has the stock sealed lights (they are horrible). I’m back and forth on the KC Gravity or Truck-lights. If there’s a matching fog light to the Gravity, that might help make the decision. Bite the bullet once and get it over with lol.

Reactions: EJD
EJD, what are the matching fog lights for the KC Gravity? We recently purchased a 2003 TJR and it has the stock sealed lights (they are horrible). I’m back and forth on the KC Gravity or Truck-lights. If there’s a matching fog light to the Gravity, that might help make the decision. Bite the bullet once and get it over with lol.
They have them in clear or amber, and these are a universal mounting bracket that would bolt to any flat surface.

KC HiLiTES 495 Individual Gravity G4 Amber LED Fog Light (SAE/ECE) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015EBIN9O/?tag=wranglerorg-20

F28C0F1A-54A8-4625-949D-25C27DC14C3E.jpeg

Last edited:
Just in case anyone else is thinking about it, I threw in a pair of JW speaker knockoffs called SunPie LED’s about a month ago for 50 on amazon. I like them so far, really bright and I like the look, well see how they last. No where near the quality of KC’s but waaayyyyy cheaper

Great, thanks for the link and pic. Your TJ looks great!
Thanks! And your very welcome, i always try to add a fresh pic if applicable. 😉

KC also has an excellent warranty and they have been nothing short of amazing in terms of customer service.

Anyone else out there with the TruckLite knock offs aka WHZD or whatever they are called getting flashed from oncoming traffic?

Not sure how much of an adjustment is needed considering these were a direct bolt in vs. the stock sealed bulbs.

Anyone else have that issue?

You have these said adjustment/alignment procedures?

Why would I need to align these if the stock ones were okay?
Its likely - but not certain - that the stock ones were out of alignment as well, but because they were so much dimmer, it didn't make any difference.

The web is full of articles on "how to", but this one seems to be one of the better ones and is the one I went by:

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html
A takeaway from the above article: "...in North America most people don't know or care much about lamp aim, figuring—very incorrectly—that if they're not getting flashed at night the lamps are OK..."

Reactions: joelachr
Yes, trying to home school little kids is driving me nuts.

I work in IT doing infrastructure for school districts. None of them are prepared for kids to come back. Literally Zero. It's like watching the Titanic going towards the iceberg.

I work in IT doing infrastructure for school districts. None of them are prepared for kids to come back. Literally Zero. It's like watching the Titanic going towards the iceberg.

School started several weeks ago here in Arizona. It was online school and we did that for a week before we withdrew our daughter. It was a joke if ever there was a joke. So far I’ve heard that over 20% of students have withdrawn from the school for homeschooling. That’s incredibly alarming to the school district and it’s going to be their downfall.

Young children simply can’t do online school, that doesn’t work. They are figuring that out very quickly.

Reactions: jeepguy03
School started several weeks ago here in Arizona. It was online school and we did that for a week before we withdrew our daughter. It was a joke if ever there was a joke. So far I’ve heard that over 20% of students have withdrawn from the school for homeschooling. That’s incredibly alarming to the school district and it’s going to be their downfall.

Young children simply can’t do online school, that doesn’t work. They are figuring that out very quickly.

My son finished first grade this spring online and he did amazing.

Reactions: Chris