Jeep Wrangler TJ LED Headlight Upgrade Options

I only made it to about post 340, but wanted to add my input. Through a series of events I recently ended up with the Wagner Lighting H6024LED. The look to be similar if not identical to the TruckLite 27270c. They also retail around the same price if not more. So may be the same light. Interesting note, the box they came in along with the lens on the light says Phillips. But I don't know the Phillips model #. So far I love them. They really turn night into day on the road.

I also like the way they look with the chrome grill on my Rubihara. Clean, modern, yet simple.

IMG_20200804_195251.jpg

Reactions: Ephry73 and Chris
The stock buckets were definitely able to hold the lights without any problem. I got a pair of cheap H4 to H13 adapters off of ebay. Amazon also has them. I'm not really sure how they would hold up to long term abuse, but they worked well for me during the time I had the J2. Aiming the J2 headlights was so easy. The projector beam really makes is simple to get the lights where you want them at the crosshairs. With the Vision X headlights, it took me a bit more time to dial them in.

It's a solid lens, but scratches do still develop. The passenger side on mine was pretty scratch-free, but the driver side had some scratches in the center. It was only noticeable up close though.

I ended up using some liquid weld and a nut that sort of worked with the adjusters. I enforced the areas that seem weak and fixed the broken ones. Every review I read on amazon had complaints of the bucket bases breaking eventually. I kept the ones I had and made them work. Not they are SOLID!!! Thus far I am enjoying the H4 LED bulbs in the 3k temperature. I will do a comparison to the JW units this weekend and the stock bulbs if weather and work permits.

Have to say it again, the K-Suspension wiring upgrade is a HUGE, and dare I say, necessary mod if you want to have better headlight output.

For anyone thinking about the WHDZ brand headlights:

I had to adjust mine (used the how-to from here) and could not adjust the passenger side fully to the right. Both required so much adjustment that I could not re-attach the chrome rings fully (1 out of 3 screws) because of how much they were away from straight ahead (couldn't reach the other 2 screw holes because the bulb is now blocking them).

Has anyone else had a similar issue with this brand or any headlights?

I had to adjust mine (used the how-to from here) and could not adjust the passenger side fully to the right. Both required so much adjustment that I could not re-attach the chrome rings fully (1 out of 3 screws) because of how much they were away from straight ahead (couldn't reach the other 2 screw holes because the bulb is now blocking them).

How far off are they? did you receive US pattern or Euro Pattern?

I've read through this entire thread and viewed many of the headlights mentioned in the discussion. Am I really going to see a big difference between $500 and $100 headlights? I currently have the stock headlights in my 03. I want black, not chrome. I'd prefer to buy something made in USA, but the cheapest I've found is $450 for USA made. Any thoughts?

I've read through this entire thread and viewed many of the headlights mentioned in the discussion. Am I really going to see a big difference between $500 and $100 headlights? I currently have the stock headlights in my 03. I want black, not chrome. I'd prefer to buy something made in USA, but the cheapest I've found is $450 for USA made. Any thoughts?
My first suggestion is to upgrade the wiring loom. $25 dollars and about five minutes of your time. The stock headlights will be much improved. MUCH MORE.

Peterson makes the KC and Trucklite headlights. US based, and not too expensive.

My first suggestion is to upgrade the wiring loom. $25 dollars and about five minutes of your time. The stock headlights will be much improved. MUCH MORE.

Peterson makes the KC and Trucklite headlights. US based, and not too expensive.
Thank you! I'll take a look at those headlights.

I have two TJs. One has JW Speaker EVO 2s, and the other one has the Truck Lite knock offs. I do see a big difference in the two, but damn the JW lights are pricey.

Reactions: Ephry73
I have two TJs. One has JW Speaker EVO 2s, and the other one has the Truck Lite knock offs. I do see a big difference in the two, but damn the JW lights are pricey.
The Evo 2s is what I got and will be comparing them to my current setup. The headlights do look amazing and should provide plenty of nice warmish light. If I end up liking the current setup more, the JWs will go for sale cheap

Reactions: zebra12

I've looked and am not finding a write up on this, what exactly are you replacing? Are you just getting some kind of aftermarket wiring loom and wiring the exact same way?

I've looked and am not finding a write up on this, what exactly are you replacing? Are you just getting some kind of aftermarket wiring loom and wiring the exact same way?
There's plenty of write ups and videos. K-Suspension has a nice little video. I did not make a write up of my setup as it didn't take too long to install. Took me longer to remove the factory plug from the H4 bulb I had on there than to install the new wiring.

The K-Suspension H4 Harness Installation is very, very straight forward and uses your existing setup for the switch. This way you keep your stock high beam lever push and pull as well as the push/pull headlight switch.

The factory wiring plugs to the K-Suspension harness on the passenger side, and all you need to do is plug the red wire to the battery positive, and the black one to battery negative. Bolt the relays to a safe place in the engine bay and tuck everything else where is out of the way and safe. Then plug your headlights to the new harness. That's it, no fuss, no muss. I did add dialectic grease on the connectors just for prevention as winter will be here soon and they salt like crazy around here.

With stock used to death H4 bulbs, the KC housings I have were easily double if not triple the output before the harness installation. Now that I'm running LED H4 bulbs in there the difference is night and day. I chose the yellow 3k temperature because it rains a lot and there is always fog where I live in NY. The brightness of the bulb is almost 100w to be honest. No one has flashed me driving at night and my eyes aren't as tired after driving back and forth to work or just going about. I will try the JW headlights with the same setup and will probably take the time to do a comparison of the stock harness,(KC H4 housing and cheap bulb, LED bulb and JW Speaker headlights) K-Suspension harness(KC H4 housing and cheap bulb, LED bulb and JW Speaker headlight) my neighbors are going to love me.

This way, I can clearly define the upgrade in harness as well as headlights for someone in a pinch and/or on the fence about going one way or the other. Without the comparison, I can definitely and honestly say that the K-Suspension harness is a must even if keep the stock factory sealed headlight setup. At the least, most TJs are now around 15 years old, and at most like mine, you're looking at 23-24 years old. The harness and connectors have seen better days and a lot of heat and corrosion in the north east. My driver's side connector looked like it melted over the H4 bulb(which is why it took me forever to get it off) and since I bought the jeep I had issues with that headlight. I taped it tight and running the K-S harness.

Reactions: cpwolf
^^ Just ordered this. I'm intimidated by the install process (not really a do-it-yourselfer), but thought while I was changing the headlights, I might as well change the harness too. Good luck me!

Reactions: cpwolf
^^ Just ordered this. I'm intimidated by the install process (not really a do-it-yourselfer), but thought while I was changing the headlights, I might as well change the harness too. Good luck me!
You'll be fine. If you can change the headlights and bulbs, you can definitely install this harness. You'll thank me later ;)

Tried to adjust the WHZD led lights and I must be blind because I followed the steps but I don’t see the concentrated spot of light ‘enough’ in order to actually tune the light to be in the right lower corner of the crosses. I covered the opposite light while trying to adjust the other side and it just seems like white light across.. I can see the cut up at the top and adjust that but doing the left to right I see no difference as I can’t spot the ‘hot spot’.

Anyone else have this issue?

I haven't driven mine in the dark and haven't adjusted them yet, but I did find that the shape of the housing in front blocks access to the bezel screws. My previous headlights had a more rounded lens while these are flatter with a more pronounced shoulder around the perimeter. With a skinny enough screwdriver I think I might be able to adjust them without taking the bezels back off, but it might be "fun" next time the bezels have to come off. I ended up sticking a T10 driver into the T15 screw at an angle to get it to bottom out, and I couldn't get it very tight.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
I bought the TruckLite 27270C lights for my '04. Unless I'm missing something in the install, I would not be recommending them as fitting a Wrangler. The lights stick out a tad too far, and you can't get the screws back in place that hold the metal trim piece in place. I'm referring to the outer metal trim piece, not the metal ring that holds the lights in place.

I'll probably end up having to use double stick tape to hold the trim in place

I bought the TruckLite 27270C lights for my '04. Unless I'm missing something in the install, I would not be recommending them as fitting a Wrangler. The lights stick out a tad too far, and you can't get the screws back in place that hold the metal trim piece in place. I'm referring to the outer metal trim piece, not the metal ring that holds the lights in place.

I'll probably end up having to use double stick tape to hold the trim in place

I never had that issue with my Truck Lites. It's been years and I no longer have that Jeep, but this is the first time I've ever heard of this.