Jeep Wrangler TJ LED Headlight Upgrade Options

Great writeup and convinced me to upgrade to Truck-Lites.

Thank you for the research and posting!

One typo in the original post I'd like to point out though because it was sort of confusing. . .

"Are Jeep Wrangler TJ headlights the same as JK LED headlights?
Aside from the harness these headlights use to plug-in, there is no difference at all in terms of fitment. In other words, a JK headlight is the same as a TJ headlight, with the exception of the wiring harness. If a headlight mentions that it was designed for the Jeep Wrangler TJ, all you need to make it work with your TJ is some H4 to H13 adapters. I've noted next to most of these headlights which if they'll require the adapters or not. These adapters will allow for any JK headlight to be a simple plug-and-play installation, taking about 5-10 minutes per headlight to install at most."

I think the bolded sentence below the section header was meant to read: "If a headlight mentions that it was designed for the Jeep Wrangler JK, all you need to make it work with your TJ are some H4 to H13 adapters."

I actually reached out to Vision X on your behalf and let them know about your post. Clearly they were very eager to resolve it, which shows what a stand-up company they are.

I'm not surprised honestly. I've had nothing but positive experiences with Vision X and always recommend them to people looking for a quality LED headlight.

I owe you a shout out too then! Thanks Chris! One of the best things about being a TJ owner: being a member of this great community!

Reactions: Ericict and Chris
I may have missed it in the past 25 pages, does anyone other than trucklite make a heated led headlight for the tj to avoide ice/slush buildup on the lenses in cold climates? this winter my stock headlights had to be wiped off two to three times a day due to the buildup on the lenses impeding the already dismal lighting.

I may have missed it in the past 25 pages, does anyone other than trucklite make a heated led headlight for the tj to avoide ice/slush buildup on the lenses in cold climates? this winter my stock headlights had to be wiped off two to three times a day due to the buildup on the lenses impeding the already dismal lighting.

The only other ones I'm aware of are the Rigid ones, which are also owned by Truck Lite:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0102OGTD0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: 4speedhandler
XK glow headlights are what I'm running and they are great.

57438380276__11B7740E-A616-480B-B348-AD1F0D649967.JPG

Reactions: Chris
I’ve asked the same question on this site about the LED lights. The guys from Colorado and Canada said it has not been an issue for them. I got non heated based on their comments. I have had no issue with ice forming since I installed mine with temps in the 40’s +. ;)

Reactions: MikeM
I do have one question on the Mopar LED. You covered the ‘14-‘16. What about the Mopar 2017 LED model?

Also any suggestions on LED bulb replacements for the factory fog lights? Wanting to try and keep the OEM look if at all possible.

Last edited:
I do have one question on the Mopar LED. You covered the ‘14-‘16. What about the Mopar 2017 LED model?

Also any suggestions on LED bulb replacements for the factory fog lights? Wanting to try and keep the OEM look if at all possible.

The 2017 Mopar LED headlights will fit. Someone on here has them on their TJ, just can't recall who.

As for LED bulb replacements for the factory fog lights, skip it. Those halogen housings with LED bulbs in them will throw the light pattern everywhere and be absolutely useless on the road.

However, if you want something just for looks, then go with a bulb like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FPPXYYQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The 2017 Mopar LED headlights will fit. Someone on here has them on their TJ, just can't recall who.

As for LED bulb replacements for the factory fog lights, skip it. Those halogen housings with LED bulbs in them will throw the light pattern everywhere and be absolutely useless on the road.

However, if you want something just for looks, then go with a bulb like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FPPXYYQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

So the new style JL and 2018 led lights fit a TJ without any cutting or heavy modifications?

I find they look good not sure what it would look like on a TJ tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So the new style JL and 2018 led lights with a TJ without any cutting or heavy modifications?

I find they look good not sure what it would look like on a TJ tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JL headlight won't fit on a TJ. They are 8" as oppose to 7" like the TJ and JK.

So no, JL headlights will not fit on a TJ.

I found a YouTube on installing the 2017 LED headlights. The difference in the '14-'16 and '17 is the '17 has the bucket intergraded to the headlight. You could make it fit but defiantly not the plug and play like the '14-'16 LED headlights. I am going with the '14-'16 LED Mopar headlights to give it that Mopar Factory look on ma TJ. Really appreciate this article Chris.

Reactions: Chris