Jeep Wrangler TJ LED Headlight Upgrade Options

Has anyone tried the SPL Classic 7 inch Cree chips LED headlights from Amazon? They were noted as being Amazon’s Choice in led headlights and have good reviews?

Has anyone tried the SPL Classic 7 inch Cree chips LED headlights from Amazon? They were noted as being Amazon’s Choice in led headlights and have good reviews?

Looks the same as every other Chinese version out there, nothing different about them.

That's not to say they are bad of course.

Well I ordered them and have them installed. I haven't drove at night yet. I did try to adjust them down some in my garage during the day. What does the adjustment screw at 7 o'clock do? I read your write up on adjusting the headlights but didn't see that screw mentioned.

Well I ordered them and have them installed. I haven't drove at night yet. I did try to adjust them down some in my garage during the day. What does the adjustment screw at 7 o'clock do? I read your write up on adjusting the headlights but didn't see that screw mentioned.

I'm not sure, but I think that's just a mounting screw for the headlight bucket.

Would be nice if people that install these Chinese lights also post pics so we see which lights they are..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did, but here you go. Again. Trucklights knock-offs.
IMG_0749.JPG
IMG_0750.JPG
IMG_0813.JPG

Is there a fog light similar to the Truck Lite knock offs in yellow?

I mean something on the less expensive side. That performs better than the stock light. I know the stock fog lights are limited by the power going to them (55w?). And I'm not into rewiring them. So it would need to be of similar power range. But if rewiring is the only way to go to get an inexpensive fog light like the Truck Lite knock offs. Then so be it. I'll buy a wiring harness for them. (For the record I'd like to simply replace the stock fog lights with knock offs or similar in the same position. Not looking for LED light bars or anything.)

Even the stock fog lights with white bulbs give off enough power for me. They seem to light up an entire city block. But yellow would be better. Because white just doesn't work well with fog.

I'm not sure, but I think that's just a mounting screw for the headlight bucket.
I just remembered the seller gave me a Haynes Repair Manual for 1987-2003 Jeep Wranglers, so I looked up adjusting headlights. It says the screw at 2 o’clock is for up/down and the one at 7-8 o’clock is for left/right. There is one at 4 o’clock but it doesn’t say what it is for.

Reactions: H_E_H
After installing the headlights I was trying to adjust them before putting the trim rings on because I knew you would have more room to get to the adjusting screws. It seems the beam pattern on my lights are wide and I can’t determine what the center of the beam is. So I gave up for now and put the trim rings on. Now I see where the adjustment indentations are on my rings and on the drivers side they are at 2 o’clock and 8 o’clock and on the passenger side they are at 10 o’clock and 4 o’clock.

Reactions: Chris
Can anyone comment on what do these LED's headlights do with the DRL option? I know the Canadian Jeep market has DRL's when you move a foot or so the headlights come on. Is this function gone when one of these LED headlights is installed?

Reactions: BoldlyGoing
Can anyone comment on what do these LED's headlights do with the DRL option? I know the Canadian Jeep market has DRL's when you move a foot or so the headlights come on. Is this function gone when one of these LED headlights is installed?
FWIW, I set mine up so that the upper and lower LEDS illuminate as soon as you turn the Jeep on. Not sure how much light you need to meet the law, but even just the 2 small LED strips light up my driveway.

I'm an old guy and rarely drive at night, after I bought my rubi 7 months ago I went to my daughters 75 mi.away at night.the stock headlights were the worst.....I got the Chinese ones on amazon for $45.big difference then changed fogs to lil cubes from Walmart that had the factory plug on them for $15 apiece.....one of the best mods.i've done.for less than $100
IMG_0423.JPG

FWIW, I set mine up so that the upper and lower LEDS illuminate as soon as you turn the Jeep on. Not sure how much light you need to meet the law, but even just the 2 small LED strips light up my driveway.

Which headlights are you referring to? The ones that have the high/low beam split between the upper and lower half? Or some other type?

I'm torn between these two sets, not sure..

Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 6.10.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 6.10.47 PM.png

Last edited:
Which headlights are you referring to? The ones that have the high/low beam split between the upper and lower half? Or some other type?

I'm torn between these two sets, not sure..

View attachment 104390

View attachment 104391

Mine are the "spider" looking ones. There is a ~2.5" long strip across the top and bottom that are powered individually.

3B0E2A0E-FD84-49A4-9DAB-D7DACBFBF4A8.png

Reactions: rubicube
One too many early morning brown alerts due to Bambi shenanigans.
Ordered LED headlights this afternoon based on all the good advice from this thread.