Jeep Wrangler TJ V8 swap with carburetor

Kapt'n Skull

I have a 2000 jeep TJ that me and a friend are doing V8 swap and have been filming posting onto youtube we are "Torqueriot" this is a link to video part one ( https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAF6BAgDEAQ&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov ) and converting into a 69 camaro 5.7 350 carburetor powered jeep since I had so many problems with replacement 4.0 long blocks aka being cracked (from actaul manufactures not a used motor) I have tons of pictures so far and we have 7 videos out so I hope to gain followers with ideas for new projects when this is done aswell as give and inside look at the swap conversion this maybe our first but wont be our last. Here are some teaser pics. This will be my daily driver but I also may throw a blower on it! Come check out our insanity

Screenshot_20191231-131257_Photos.jpg

20190915_210612.jpg

Screenshot_20191231-131005_Photos.jpg

received_2663589790330848.jpeg

20190915_200456.jpg

20190625_172536.jpg

20190625_131034.jpg

I dont know what the link doesnt work. And the other I posted didnt post but I'm gonna throw this in here check out our channel

I think that's awesome, what a great project. I dunno if I'd ever go back to a carburetor but on the right engine and for the right reasons it'd still be awesome. I'm old enough to remember all the bad things about carburetors lol.
Haha ya I hear you my dad was and is a hotrod maniac and I didnt fall far from the tree. I love the smell and sound of carbs and ease of adjustment on the fly :)

I'm old enough to remember all the bad things about carburetors lol.

I am right there with you age wise and agreeing I remember when fuel injecting was first coming out hated it now don’t want to go back to carburetors. Spent to many evenings rebuilding carburetors at kitchen table

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I'm old enough to remember all the bad things about carburetors lol.

I am right there with you age wise and agreeing I remember when fuel injecting was first coming out hated it now don’t want to go back to carburetors. Spent to many evenings rebuilding carburetors at kitchen table
Hahah ya that's what I grew up to dad even built a 411 posi rear in the living room floor while watching sci-fi(when it was good and not b rated crap hahah) good memories :)

Are you able to put it on the road legally? Here in NY that would never be allowed. But we're saddled with the Cal. Smog laws. Looks like you are doing a great job. Good luck to you.

Are you able to put it on the road legally? Here in NY that would never be allowed. But we're saddled with the Cal. Smog laws. Looks like you are doing a great job. Good luck to you.
Ya u can legally ride on roads here however it doesnt cover you on interstate highways because I believe they are federal and not by state laws I'm in southern va area we also have no sound limit In the inspection but a cop can still say u are to loud and he has to prove it some how. Its oddly written in the book

I still like carbs. Easy to adjust and rebuilding them is fairly simple as well. Carburetors were reliably used for well over a century.

Reactions: TJRick
I think that's awesome, what a great project. I dunno if I'd ever go back to a carburetor but on the right engine and for the right reasons it'd still be awesome. I'm old enough to remember all the bad things about carburetors lol.
Did you ever notice with the advent of fuel injection automotive engines started lasting , affordably, 2 to 3 times longer than the 100,000 mile mark? Today , vehicles still have considerable value north of 100,000 miles...that wasn’t true in the 70’s generally.

Proper fuel metering doesn’t dilute oil as bad or wash the cylinders down.

My son bought an 85 4x4 chevy chassis, super clean ...I said..if you will put an efi engine in it , I will put money in it .

He wouldn’t listen , and it has sat 2 years with problems . I took the money and got myself a TJ....boy it’s been a blast. If everybody can’t be happy , sometimes you need to make sure you are.

Reactions: psrivats
Engines definitely started lasting longer about then but I never really thought about why other than perhaps better lubricants and engine design. But your suggestion of EFI as a big contributor makes perfect sense with your reasoning. I never would have thought of that!

Edit: You're right I just found lots to back up what you said like this one... https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.be...anic-Carburetor-vs-Fuel-Injection?hs_amp=true

Reactions: AndyG
Engines definitely started lasting longer about then but I never really thought about why other than perhaps better lubricants and engine design. But your suggestion of EFI as a big contributor makes perfect sense with your reasoning. I never would have thought of that!
My dad gets credit for that thought process ...I think fuel injection , maybe steel quality , design , lubricants, and higher precision borne from a global market place , all contributed.

My dad gets credit for that thought process ...I think fuel injection , maybe steel quality , design , lubricants, and higher precision borne from a global market place , all contributed.
Check out the very good article on this subject I added a link to above.

Check out the very good article on this subject I added a link to above.
Awesome ...my dad is just a homegrown Alabama boy , sold insurance , and just seems to understand everything ....he’s got the best bull detector I’ve ever seen...it’s not the principal of things he says, it’s usually the blankety blank money. He’s hilarious , and gets smarter as I get older.

Great thread, very cool build . If it was a stock TJ, we could call it “low carb”.

Last edited:

Edit: You're right I just found lots to back up what you said like this one... https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.be...anic-Carburetor-vs-Fuel-Injection?hs_amp=true
Fantastic read. Makes total sense ...I’m thankful we have EFI for many reasons..one is because new vehicles are soooo high , longevity makes them affordable for different market segments at some point.

The dependability of today’s vehicles is fabulous ...I remember dirt bikes had a tool kit included and stored on board ..they new it would break! And man did they.

All this is not to slam the OP’s build —build it man . The Jeep world wants more power . FCA is missing it sooo bad ...a 5000 lb JKU with 280 hp is no better than a 4.0 TJ As far as horsepower to weight .

On the same subject , the 258 was an outlier with a carb-it would last 2-3 x times longer than about any V8 back in the 70’s , and now we fuel injection In the 4.0 . 14-22 years later , they are running strong ...sometimes I’m more confident in my 4.0 TJ being around than every other vehicle I own .

Fantastic read. Makes total sense ...I’m thankful we have EFI for many reasons..one is because new vehicles are soooo high , longevity makes them affordable for different market segments at some point.

The dependability of today’s vehicles is fabulous ...I remember dirt bikes had a tool kit included and stored on board ..they new it would break! And man did they.

All this is not to slam the OP’s build —build it man . The Jeep world wants more power . FCA is missing it sooo bad ...a 5000 lb JKU with 280 hp is no better than a 4.0 TJ As far as horsepower to weight .

On the same subject , the 258 was an outlier with a carb-it would last 2-3 x times longer than about any V8 back in the 70’s , and now we fuel injection In the 4.0 . 14-22 years later , they are running strong ...sometimes I’m more confident in my 4.0 TJ being around than every other vehicle I own .
No worries I know everyone has different opinions I expected to get flack for going backwards hahah(I just love classic). when it comes time I'll drop a ls in it or maybe a hemi or a viper v10 or may stick a 671 blower on this one with 2 4barrels. the next build will probably be a power stroke diesel in another jeep I kinda wanna build a LJ or a new j8. Just gotta keep a smile on my face and building does it. Thanks for the comments

Speaking of dual four-barrels, a high school buddy had an old Oldsmobile with, I think, a 327. Anyway it had three deuces (three 2 barrel carburetors for you younger tykes lol). He had just had it painted with a nice deep-looking black paint, it was beautiful. He pulled into our local drive-in restaurant where we hung out and after showing us the chromed-up engine, lowered the hood and then started it. One of his three carbs backfired but he didn't know it was on fire. Before too many seconds had gone by he had a big wet bubble of his fresh paint forming on his hood which then popped. :ROFLMAO: I saw him quite a while later and his hood still had the popped paint bubble spot.

Reactions: AndyG