Jeep Wrangler TJ V8 swap with carburetor

My Uncle Jimmy had and still owns a 1970 Buick GSX with a big 455...the gas going into the engine from the carburetor looks like a faucet... My dad said it would pass anything but a gas station.

Reactions: Blondie70
Speaking of dual four-barrels, a high school buddy had an old Oldsmobile with, I think, a 327. Anyway it had three deuces (three 2 barrel carburetors for you younger tykes lol). He had just had it painted with a nice deep-looking black paint, it was beautiful. He pulled into our local drive-in restaurant where we hung out and after showing us the chromed-up engine, lowered the hood and then started it. One of his three carbs backfired but he didn't know it was on fire. Before too many seconds had gone by he had a big wet bubble of his fresh paint forming on his hood which then popped. :ROFLMAO: I saw him quite a while later and his hood still had the popped paint bubble spot.
Daaaaang. eeeeeh. That's horrible heheh if u end up watching our videos ull see my old 73 340 cuda in the background what isn't in the videos YET is my 71 383 4 SPD cuda . I want to put 3 deuces aka 6 pack on it but it's so expensive plus I hear to adjust them puppies is hell. I accept that challenge though hahah (I say old because I traded the 73 to my dad) the 71 is my dream car. Sorry not trying to go to far off topic..
Screenshot_20191231-130331_Dropbox.jpg

Daaaaang. eeeeeh. That's horrible heheh if u end up watching our videos ull see my old 73 340 cuda in the background what isn't in the videos YET is my 71 383 4 SPD cuda . I want to put 3 deuces aka 6 pack on it but it's so expensive plus I hear to adjust them puppies is hell. I accept that challenge though hahah (I say old because I traded the 73 to my dad) the 71 is my dream car. Sorry not trying to go to far off topic..View attachment 134224
you need to check out the Wellborn muscle car museum online he's here in Alabama and he's got a phenomenal Mopar collection.

you need to check out the Wellborn muscle car museum online he's here in Alabama and he's got a phenomenal Mopar collection.
Mmmmmm I'll check that out. I'm a mopar man!! I looked at a 318/360 option before I went to the 350 idea. It just wasn't part /adapting friendly :(

Mmmmmm I'll check that out. I'm a mopar man!! I looked at a 318/360 option before I went to the 350 idea. It just wasn't part /adapting friendly :(
you are going to love his collection of Dodge chargers in every possible transmission engine combination... He's probably one of the top two Mopar guys in the world.

He sold a hemi cuda at Kissimmee a year or two ago and they said it was going to be the barometer of muscle car value....

Someone sold a '70 yellow hemi cuda convertible on there with a shaker hood and I thought yeah it'll go 1.4 million or something...went 2.7 million.

Amazing.

Did you ever notice with the advent of fuel injection automotive engines started lasting , affordably, 2 to 3 times longer than the 100,000 mile mark?
Very true. The modern EFI engine delivers the correct air/fuel ratio forever with computercontrol and electronic metering. With a carb, you have to monitor it, maintain it, tinker with it. Which is why I love carbs.

I rank tinkering with carbs right up there with airing down, a task one has to do. If one loves EFI one must dream about central tire inflation systems too. Me, I like stopping and walking around the Jeep to air down/up.

Just so everyone knows I appreciate and love all the comments! And I'd like to "like" them but I can't seem to find the like button or option...
it should be down at the bottom of the screen on the right and on mine you always hit it multiple times.... Every time you hit like on one of my posts.... It is connected to the internet and the world wide Web... Your Experion credit score goes up two points... And if you believe that, I have a 4-cylinder SE with a hundred thousand miles for sale for only $15,000.... Just let me know what color you want.

Last edited:
it should be down at the bottom of the screen on the right and I'll mind you always hit it multiple times.... Every time you hit like on one of my post... It is connected to the internet and the world wide Web... Your Experion credit score goes up two points... And if you believe that, I have a 4-cylinder SE with a hundred thousand miles for sale for only $15,000.... Just let me know what color you want.
Hahahahhahahah

I always like the pro-carb argument of being easy to adjust and rebuild. My fuel injection needs neither adjustment or rebuild.

The first dozen or so cars I had were carb equipped and I have adjusted and rebuilt numerous carbs back in the day. The only reason I could ever see goong back to carbs is for nostalgia and originality.

For a daily driver I think injection is best. And for most people nowadays it is the only way to go. There are few people that even know how to check their tire pressure anymore. Or check their oil for that matter. Technology just makes people dumber and more ignorant of their environment.
There are few of us remaining that even knows how to adjust a carb, let alone rebuild it.
But if you are looking for more power, a properly tuned carb is hard to beat.

The yellow monstrosity in my avatar sits in my garage, a few years ago I finally got rid of the late-70s 4 barrel with three miles of vacuum tubes to a simple Edelbrock 1406. I've found it to be pretty 'set and forget', I've only had to adjust it a handful of times (and did change the jets when I went from FL to UT).

I'm also proud to say that my 7 year old knows how to adjust a carb, set idle, and base timing. Additionally, his favorite 8-track is Unmasked.

What I think many hate about carburetors stems from later model vehicles with miles of government required ineffective smog vacuum hoses and devices. One pin hole buried in that bucket of spaghetti would cause it to run terrible and suck dirt in. Old school systems often had only one or two vacuum feeds, one for the timing advance and one for the brake booster. A chimp could be trained to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet or two barrel. I agree that fuel injection is a good or better system, but a good carb'd engine would not scare me one bit. My son had a YJ with a carb system that was utterly horrible. We rebuilt the 4.2, and replaced all of the fuel system with Clifford Research intake and a simple 450 CFM carb and all of the pollution crap went in the trash. That Jeep was one mean mother stump puller. Put a better Elgin cam in as well other goodies. Many developments have led to the improved longevity of modern engines. Better build materials, cleaner fuel and ignition systems and cars that don't rust as much. I think most rigs went to the graveyard due to rust, not drivetrains. Our old family Oldsmobile rockets all logged 2-300K, patched and bondo'd.

The gasohol is what finally put the nail in the carb coffin for me. I'm fine with occasional tuning — with an eye on an eventual rebuild — but the float clip on my last Motorcraft 2150 dissolved into a little whisper of rust in under 4 years, and left me stranded with absolutely no warning. These carbs were not designed for constant contact with water, and once you high side 10% ethanol, that's what you've got throughout your fuel system.

It's a battle you won't win.

Reactions: Flivver250
One more consideration. EPA CARB etc. Every year the ninnies in charge of taking the fun out of tinkering with cars find new ways to ban tinkering. But most states already have legislation stating an engine must forever meet the regulations at the time the vehicle was built. When they decide to enforce that law your TJ with a carb will likely fail the emissions testing..... Which will eventually hit every state.