Jeep Wrangler TJ Water Pump Replacement

Looks like this question never got answered. What is the recommended strategy here, both for the water pump as well as the thermostat housing? RTV? Gasket alone? RTV + gasket? RTV on both sides of the gasket? So many options!

I've only done this job once before on a Ford 289, and I'm pretty sure I used RTV to some extent. I've done several non-Jeep t-stat housings and they all used RTV.....and several JKU 3.6L's which did not. Would love guidance from the masses regarding the 4.0L.

I used the gasket alone. I was very careful to torque everything to spec. No leaks at all.

Reactions: TWiG01
X2. And take your time and make sure all mounting surfaces are clean and even. No knicks/ scratches/ etc. I hate RTV
RTV is the absolute worst. Lube Locker needs to make a gasket for everything.

I SAID EVERYTHING.

Reactions: TWiG01
Looks like this question never got answered. What is the recommended strategy here, both for the water pump as well as the thermostat housing? RTV? Gasket alone? RTV + gasket? RTV on both sides of the gasket? So many options!

I've only done this job once before on a Ford 289, and I'm pretty sure I used RTV to some extent. I've done several non-Jeep t-stat housings and they all used RTV.....and several JKU 3.6L's which did not. Would love guidance from the masses regarding the 4.0L.
Just replaced my water pump & thermostat 3 weeks ago and only needed the gaskets, no RTV needed, as long as you have a clean surface that's all you'll need, jeep's been running fine without any leaks as far as I'm concerned...

I replaced mine recently and used only the gaskets. I also replaced the bolts as the stock ones had a little corrosion on some of the threads.

I just did mine and again just the gasket. Make sure you get the mating surface clean and be very careful scraping the old one off. Some have said use steel wool and acetone to make sure its clean.

Hey
I found some pictures on your webpage related to the water pump.
I kept a similar spare new water pump in its box for a long time.
Now I am trying to make sure it was not intended for another vehicle V8 350 TBI engine gasser. The body of the pump has the following id: MOPAR 58772 T-01 and 53010417.
Will fit my 2005 TJ Wrangler Sport 6 cylinders gasser?
There is also a small hole (6mm) in the body of the pump behind the rotor above the axle of the pump. What is that for ??
Thanks
René

If this is the hole you’re talking about, it’s the weep hole, and apparently it’s purpose in life is to indicate when the pump bearing is starting to wear out.
3E97795D-7441-444A-8943-59D403E33584.jpeg

If you're going to take more than a few hours to do this project, you should probably lay your fan shroud flat on the ground. If you take 3 weeks to get back to it like I did, and if you also leaned the fan shroud up against the wall... you may find that the bottom of the shroud has has flattened just enough to make the fan blades scrape the shroud and make an awful racket.

If you're also like me and you only learned all this the hard way, you can just put new holes about a quarter inch above the existing holes in the shroud, effectively lowering the shroud and solving your problem.

Reactions: khakitj
I would pass on it. When you click the link and a GM symbol pops up it looks a little suspicious to me. Rock auto has it for 167

Reactions: hear