Jeep XJ 2.5

JeepZilla380

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I always seem to be on the prowl for a clean 2 door XJ with manual window cranks. Most of these stripped down XJs are 2.5 liter equipped. Is it as much of a dog in the XJ as i recall it was in my YJs? Is the earlier model 2.8 v6 as bad as its reputation online?

I always seem to be on the prowl for a clean 2 door XJ with manual window cranks. Most of these stripped down XJs are 2.5 liter equipped. Is it as much of a dog in the XJ as i recall it was in my YJs? Is the earlier model 2.8 v6 as bad as its reputation online?
the 2.8 V6 is TERRIBLE. Don't do it. Find a clean 2 door and plop a 4.0L in!

Reactions: JeepZilla380
That 2.8 V6 (which was produced by GM) is the biggest piece of garbage (arguably) ever put in a Jeep. The 2.5 is right there next to it. The 4.0 is only mildly better.

Seriously though, that V6 feels like it might even have less power than the 2.5 (as if that's possible).

• USA Proud
Reactions: Apparition
That 2.8 V6 (which was produced by GM) is the biggest piece of garbage (arguably) ever put in a Jeep. The 2.5 is right there next to it. The 4.0 is only mildly better.

Seriously though, that V6 feels like it might even have less power than the 2.5 (as if that's possible).
Thanks. Yea, thats what i have read as well. Sad cause the XJ's im seeing with the 2.8 are really clean in my area.

Thanks. Yea, thats what i have read as well. Sad cause the XJ's im seeing with the 2.8 are really clean in my area.

It would be a good candidate to swap with another engine, but that's a huge, expensive project if you want to do it right.

Xjs are lighter than wranglers. Probably a little better aerodynamics too. Will be slow but should do OK with the 2.5

It would be a good candidate to swap with another engine, but that's a huge, expensive project if you want to do it right.
Agreed. Is swapping a later model 4 cylinder to 4.0 any better? Based on mileage im seeing on the later year XJs figured a motor swap was in the cards if i really wanted to daily drive an XJ. I know its worlds easier if i can find a 4.0 to swap with a rebuilt 4.0 one day.

Xjs are lighter than wranglers. Probably a little better aerodynamics too. Will be slow but should do OK with the 2.5
Thanks! I know the 4.0 in my Son's XJ is super peppy. My 4 cylinder YJs and one TJ really lagged.

Agreed. Is swapping a later model 4 cylinder to 4.0 any better? Based on mileage im seeing on the later year XJs figured a motor swap was in the cards if i really wanted to daily drive an XJ. I know its worlds easier if i can find a 4.0 to swap with a rebuilt 4.0 one day.

A 4.0 would be a big improvement over that 2.8 V6, that's for sure.

I'm a big fan of the early XJ body and interior styles (1984-96) and the RENIX years (1987-90) in particular. I've owned 3 and still have 1, a 1989 2 dr. Limited. I've only had 4.0 litre engines so I can't comment on the early ones but they don't get a lot of love on the XJ forums. As for engine swaps, there have been some great ones, anything from Mercedes diesel engines to LS engines. I'm perfectly happy with the 4.0 l though. As with the TJ & LJ, they'll pretty much last forever if you take care of them.