Supporting Member
Was in Havana today found a few jeeps and lots of old cars

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG

IMG_0808.PNG

Wow, that’s really cool. Thanks for sharing those photos. It’s interesting to see all the old vehicles that still remain there. It’s very hard to get parts for them too as I understand.

I think it was back in the sixties when Castro banned imported cars and parts so its like a time capsule there...many back street mechanics are very inventive in fixing or adapting parts to keep their classics on the roads...Love those fifties and sixties cars.

Reactions: fourpointzero
Yes

it is, noticed a lot of cars had various parts not original but keeping them going

Yep, I read an article about this once. Most of the vehicles there are not original because they’ve used so many various parts to keep them running.

Im first gen Cuban American. My grandfather made a good living as a mechanic, here in the USA. I’m always learning and hearing stories of Cuba from my grandmother and parents, who where born there. A lot of those cars, from what I’ve been told, have Soviet engines or parts. And for sure, modded beyond OE, inventively, to keep them going.

Thank you for posting these great photos, @Davidtj For some reason, I didn’t even think about Jeeps in Cuba! Hope to eventually make a trip there sometime early in 18’

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ac_ and Kiwi TJ
There is a great start to fast and the furious 8 (I think) filmed in Havana, albeit dramatized for Hollywood but it does give you an idea of how Cubans use anything to keep their pride n joy on the road...sort of like Jeepers too. lol

All I can think of is "Lucy! I'm hooome!" :D All kidding aside, I truly admire what some of the folks in Cuba go through to keep their old American iron on the road. Backyard Engineering at its finest!

Watched a documentary on Netflix a while back regarding a group of Cuban gearheads pushing for legalized drag racing. Their passion for it is nothing short of amazing. One guy, if I recall correctly, raised an engine from a sunken boat and rebuilt it for his car. I swear, it made me want to send one of those guys a care package of car parts! Definitely makes me appreciate what we have here in the states.

Yup Cuba is essentially a time capsule. It is stuck in the 50's when it comes to American cars. My grandfather had a 50's era Cadillac during my childhood in the 70's. Fuel is scarce unless you know someone who knows someone. Lots of cars have had homemade parts or homemade adaptations to keep them going. Some may look American made in the outside but have Russian powertrain. The people there are able to fabricate parts by hand. I remember stories from my dad's engineering school years. Anything they needed they made with no fancy machinery or anything. Some have turned cars into boats and sailed for the US.