Jeep's New Inline 6 Cylinder

Johnathan looks pissed in that photo. He probably wanted in it a Wrangler too. šŸ¤Ŗ

Interesting that the 3L diesel is a v6 and 3L turbo a straight 6. They must be targeting specific HP and torque numbers at similar operating points.

Fiat has a disease ...they want small displacement engines in these ,I'm not saying bad engines, I'm saying small. It's a huge mistake for the current and future Jeep Wrangler /Gladiator line.

Last edited:
Fiat has a disease ...they want small displacement engines in these ,I'm. It saying bad engines, I'm saying small. It's a huge mistake for the current and future Jeep Wrangler /Gladiator line.

I remember reading somewhere that the government makes a distinction about engines greater than 3.0L for emissions or tax purposes, and that's why all these car brands are making smaller engines. It would explain the new 3.0L I6.

I remember reading somewhere that the government makes a distinction about engines greater than 3.0L for emissions or tax purposes, and that's why all these car brands are making smaller engines. It would explain the new 3.0L I6.
Well.... Look at how many Dodge trucks are sold with a big diesel.

I know there is pressure on manufacturers to produce greener vehicles..but I think what's going on with Fiat is really just a European mindset which is based on the same concerns in a good bit ahead of Amercan emissions standards.

Even European 2 stroke dirt bikes have to be fuel injected and you know those things don't have a carbon footprint.

My first take is it is more of the same - another powerplant that produces just enough , before overstepping to the 392. The 4 door Wrangler needs something in between- Iā€™m not sure those guys have any clue what is happening when those things leave the dealerships- I may be miles off. They can squeeze a lot out of one these days.

There also seems to be something magical about 0.5L per cylinder. Lots of 2.0 4 bangers too.

My take on all the displacements, etc is most vehicles that these engines are designed for donā€™t end up with 37ā€™s on beadlocks loaded with aftermarket parts, roof top tents, coolers and try to climb walls. Jeeps do.

Indeed the consensus on this side of the pond re engines is downsizing. From what I know, other EU countries, Greece included, tax vehicles based on the engine size in a way to penalize ā€œgas guzzlersā€ as polluters and road breakers.

This has, at least over here, created a market where 10-15 year old SUVs (mainly luxury German brands and some American ones) need to pay high annual road taxes, close to those of a new Porsche with a 2.0L engine!! Add to that the fact that gas is more pricey over here compared to the States and you have a market for used SUVs that sell for pennies on the dollar.

Market was flooded so much with Porsche Cayennes selling for 6k as owners who bought them couldnā€™t afford the payments, taxes and gas prices due to the prolonged crisis that recently ended, to the point that it became a business for dealers to acquire them and exporting them to Germany making a profit.

Back to engine sizes, 2.0L has unofficially been set as the braking point north of which road taxes become incrementally biggger. So I understand that manufacturers targeting the EU market have switched to smaller and forced induction engines. BMW is maybe a good example which was always true to NA engines until the latest generation where almost the entire fleet has smaller but turbocharged engines. šŸ˜¢

Personal opinion from my driving experience so far and especially when it comes to Jeeps, as @AndyG mentioned, displacement is king in these vehicles.

Over here, hot hatches and roadsters (from Miatas to high-end AMGs and ā€œMsā€ are the most lusted by guys in my age group (30s). Jap scene is also present with tuned civics, integras, Subarus, Evos etc being a common sight as well. (Greece votes team Brian vs team Dom šŸ˜‚). Unfortunately for me a I have the bug of Jeeps and muscle cars šŸ¤ (a near non-existent sight in the streets of Athens) and I literally need to pay the price. šŸ¤‘

On the other hand, as mentioned before, since itā€™s more expensive to maintain, itā€™s becoming cheap to acquire. In my case that meant recently grabbing a clean rust-free low mileage 2003 WJ Overland for 5k. šŸ˜Ž

Bottom line, I guess that environmental concerns and Hybrids/ EVs will put even more pressure in I6s and V8s and downsizing is here to stayā€¦

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and AndyG
Indeed the consensus on this side of the pond re engines is downsizing. From what I know, other EU countries, Greece included, tax vehicles based on the engine size in a way to penalize ā€œgas guzzlersā€ as polluters and road breakers.

This has, at least over here, created a market where 10-15 year old SUVs (mainly luxury German brands and some American ones) need to pay high annual road taxes, close to those of a new Porsche with a 2.0L engine!! Add to that the fact that gas is more pricey over here compared to the States and you have a market for used SUVs that sell for pennies on the dollar.

Market was flooded so much with Porsche Cayennes selling for 6k as owners who bought them couldnā€™t afford the payments, taxes and gas prices due to the prolonged crisis that recently ended, to the point that it became a business for dealers to acquire them and exporting them to Germany making a profit.

Back to engine sizes, 2.0L has unofficially been set as the braking point north of which road taxes become incrementally biggger. So I understand that manufacturers targeting the EU market have switched to smaller and forced induction engines. BMW is maybe a good example which was always true to NA engines until the latest generation where almost the entire fleet has smaller but turbocharged engines. šŸ˜¢

Personal opinion from my driving experience so far and especially when it comes to Jeeps, as @AndyG mentioned, displacement is king in these vehicles.

Over here, hot hatches and roadsters (from Miatas to high-end AMGs and ā€œMsā€ are the most lusted by guys in my age group (30s). Jap scene is also present with tuned civics, integras, Subarus, Evos etc being a common sight as well. (Greece votes team Brian vs team Dom šŸ˜‚). Unfortunately for me a I have the bug of Jeeps and muscle cars šŸ¤ (a near non-existent sight in the streets of Athens) and I literally need to pay the price. šŸ¤‘

On the other hand, as mentioned before, since itā€™s more expensive to maintain, itā€™s becoming cheap to acquire. In my case that meant recently grabbing a clean rust-free low mileage 2003 WJ Overland with for 5k. šŸ˜Ž

Bottom line, I guess that environmental concerns and Hybrids/ EVs will put even more pressure in I6s and V8s and downsizing is here to stayā€¦
Good post, makes sense.

A cayenne for 6k. Wow.

For whatever reason, this reminds me of the idiot on the Harley who was doing the usual Harley obnoxiousness on Monasteraki. "Some things transcend borders" I told my wife at the time.

• Haha
Reactions: Kon
I'm not much of a motor guru but the HP they are getting out of these newer twin turbo v6's is pretty impressive.

Good post, makes sense.

A cayenne for 6k. Wow.

Thanks!

Maybe you can find it online since it seams hard to believe but Athens and another city in Greece were ranked among the top 5 places in "Cayenne per capita". First of all, I don't know who came up with such a ratio and why, but sadly it's a fact.

The 90s and especially 00s were golden decades for the economy here with the growth though being only partially robust with the rest being cheap subprime credit and very low taxes. Millennials like me, we were still in school during this period which is notoriously known as "the big party era". šŸ˜ As many of you may have heard was not built on solid grounds, hence the prolonged crisis.

Add to that the ego of anyone who suddenly could afford the PAYMENTS, not the ASSET of a Porsche during the SUV-booming decades and you got the recipe for a Cayenne flood! šŸ„³

Well, what goes around comes around I guess...

Reactions: AndyG
Just european sub 2L insurance breaks not to mention the whole 2L SCCA thing. Nothing wrong with a 1.8 but you aren't really on any edge.

That's certainly a reason for the total displacement but the half liter per cylinder also lands at a good compromise in combustion chamber design (driving a smaller cylinder to improve combustion) and production cost (driving a larger cylinder to reduce part count). Hence 1.5L 3s, 2L 4s, 3L 6s, 4L 8s, etc.

Reactions: Kon
That's certainly a reason for the total displacement but the half liter per cylinder also lands at a good compromise in combustion chamber design (driving a smaller cylinder to improve combustion) and production cost (driving a larger cylinder to reduce part count). Hence 1.5L 3s, 2L 4s, 3L 6s, 4L 8s, etc.

I hadnā€™t noticed the pattern but it makes absolute sense.

Last edited: