Jerry Cans

Serbonze

TJ Neophyte
Supporting Member
There is a lot of information out there, so I thought that I would ask for input from anyone that has purchased a jerry can.

Plastic vs Metal - which did you buy and why?

What brand did you buy?

The spout is a non-issue as I have a super siphon for each.

Note: I recently acquired two Rock Hard jerry can mounts for free. I plan on one can for water and one for fuel. These are not for wheeling, these are for evacuation purposes in the event of a hurricane.

Last edited:
I'm interested to know as well. I was planning to buy two of them for the exact same uses and purposes as you (though earthquakes in my situation).

Reactions: Serbonze
I have both plastic and metal for fuel. I have the military surplus plastic Scepter can. I also use a wavian brand metal can for fuel that I store in the shed. Plastic vs. metal will usually ignite quite a debate. Just be sure to get the real deal, the cheap knock offs will give you problems when you need them the least.

I use these type containers exclusively for water.

http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/Military-Water-Cans.html

I have one each of the 5gal. And 2.5 gal. These can also be bought surplus I'm sure. I bought mine a few years ago from this site for a some what better price then the ad shows now.

I'm sure you will get lots of other opinions but the above items work well for me.

You can learn more than you might want about the metal cans at the link below. Keep reading, the history of the "jerry can" is an interesting read.

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/cart/product.php?productid=19940&cat=292&page=1

I bought a spout from these guys for the Wavian can that I was able to adapt to avoid the stupid CARB spouts that fuel cans come with now. I don't believe that what I bought is available from them anymore.

Thanks for the input! I'll check out the link and read through it.

I do realize that there is some debate between metal and plastic, which is precisely why I asked why the purchase was made.

I forgot to add, and I'll edit the OP, that I have a super siphon for each so the spout is a non-issue.

I like the metal can for storing fuel in my shed here in Phoenix. The jerry can is easy to open after you get pressure build up in the can from the extreme heat. Sometimes the plastic Sceptor can required use of a cap wrench. Just my limited experience.

If you get a military surplus plastic can and find it leaks, a friend of mine just got the necessary parts to rebuild a couple cans from this guy.

http://www.jagmte.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=60

I'm sure there are other sources as well

Me neither, I'm still trying to figure it out. The Rotopax look cool, but the price point seems a bit high.

The water can arrived today, it's exactly what I wanted. I think you will be happy.

Reactions: Chris
What I've learned so far is that both plastic and metal have their own pros and cons. For my purposes I've decided to go with the Scepter MFC. It's plastic and it's expensive, but I think it's the right choice for me. If you decide to get a metal can be sure to buy one with welded rather than pressed seems.

Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow it says!

The issue I see with plastic as far as gasoline goes, is that it won't hold up to ethanol based fuel. Even the small plastic gallon gas cans I have laying around for my lawn mower swell big time when you put ethanol fuel in them.

These are not for wheeling, these are for evacuation purposes in the event of a hurricane.
What part of FL are you in? Were you affected by Hurricane Hermine at all?

I was on my way home from work at the hospital (topless/doorless) and got caught in some of the side effects of it and we were pretty far from it. Anyway, everything that could be wet was DRENCHED, cup holders full of water, etc...it was hilarious. Total Jeep thing.

I just wanted to say driving topless through a hurricane made me realize, I need to Rain-X the "inside" of my windshield, as well as the outside.

I've got some Daystar Cam Can stuff going on. Working on some cool evac stuff as well!

I'm in Tampa. We were lucky, the main body of Hermine just missed us. We certainly got hit by the bands, and we were on the south east side and got hit with some storm surge. Cedar Key got hit with a three foot surge. It was really bad.

I'm in Tampa. We were lucky, the main body of Hermine just missed us. We certainly got hit by the bands, and we were on the south east side and got hit with some storm surge. Cedar Key got hit with a three foot surge. It was really bad.
Close call...i'm new to FL and to hurricanes so i'm prepping a bit now. Good idea anyway to have good supplies.