Jerry finally does the Rubicon Trail

Jerry Bransford

Retired to more relaxed pastures... bye.
Supporting Member
The Rubicon Trail, how cool it was!! Just completed it Friday with a great bunch for a friend's post-wedding Bachelor Party. Poor Boy Racing and Kracker Fab race teams were represented and it was awesome wheeling with them. There were no whiners, no breakages, and no problems, just too much fun!!! It was perfect timing, we were between two humongous groups so we didn't see a lot of traffic on the trail. Two days moving, one day relaxing/swimming/drinking at Loon Lake. Bears hit the camp a couple hundred yards from us but none (thankfully) found our camp. Mojitos, some awesome campsite cooking, beers, and awesomely funny stories about KOH and other trails. TV celebrities Glen & Kimberly Plake from Truck Night in America cruised by our camp, a really fun couple! One pic with them in a group photo below. Some guy in a stock Chevy pickup with no spare parts/food/anything twisted his rear aluminum driveshaft in half, it was McGyvered back together with a tree limb and lots of bolts lol. Overall it was lots of grins and laughs, what an experience. Another checkbox checked off!

Rubicon Sign Group Photo.jpg

Abe Gonzales, Kracker Fab guys Josh Atteberry and Josh Lawyer, Poor Boy Racing Sean McNamara, Geoff Constable, Brian McNamara & Sean Malone, and me.

Jerry following Kota.jpg

Me behind Geoff Constable.

Abe.jpg

Abe Gonzales in his JK.

Brian Geoff Josh Atteberry Abe Sean Malone Josh Lawyer.jpg

The rock slabs were really cool but even as easy as they look they could sneak up on you and you'd find yourself in trouble.

Geoff.jpg

Geoff Constable. He just got through re-doing his entire TJ and it worked great. It was fun to hear his rear tires constantly squealing & chirping after installing a spool into his rear axle.

Jerry in the trees.jpg

Yours truly with Sean Malone in his red Toyota following.

Abe in Trees.jpg

Frigging beautiful in the forest isn't it.

Josh Atteberry Closeup Crawling Up Ledge.jpg

Josh Atteberry.

Josh Atteberry Crawling Up Ledge.jpg

Josh Atteberry Adding Gas.jpg

Josh had some fuel system problems that were finally tracked down to a deteriorating fuel line. He had to drive back off the trail to town (75 miles!) to buy an additional inline fuel filter to fix it. We lost much of our first day waiting for him to get back with parts. He had an otherwise awesome CJ with a big-ass V8 in it.

Josh sticking butt out Josh L. Geoff Kota.jpg

Josh. sticking his butt out and giving the pouty look here, had a great sense of humor, he was always doing funny shit. That's his race teammate Josh Lawyer in the blue tshirt.

Abe Sean Brian Josh holding Geoff's Tipped TJ.jpg

Geoff's TJ wasn't in danger of tipping, they were helping the r-r tire gain a bit more traction by rocking the Jeep back & forth a tad.

Brian Josh Sean Geoff on slab Loon Lake.jpg

Relaxing in camp adjacent to Loon Lake.

Jeeps-Camp-Guys-Loon Lake.jpg

We had a great location on Loon Lake. That's my itty-bitty tiny-assed blue tent. It was so tiny-assed I had to sleep diagonally in it. At least it didn't take up much room in my space-challenged TJ.

Campsite Group from Above.jpg

Jerry making Mojitos.jpg

Yours truly slicing and muddling limes for Mojitos. It was pretty hot so the Mojitos were a big hit with everyone.

Brian & Sean McNamara.jpg

Brian & Sean McNamara, the driver/co-driver for Poor Boy Racing. I wish I could consistently tell those two apart lol.
Broken Driveshaft.jpg

That's a thin-walled aluminum rear driveshaft on a completely stock 2018 Chevy pickup. Don't attempt to drive the Rubicon with one.

Holding repaired driveshaft.jpg

They put it back together but It ultimately proved again that it was not up to the Rubicon. A friend of PBR ended up bringing the owner of the truck a replacement driveshaft. The guy thought he could do the Rubicon with a stock Chevy pickup in one day so he brought nothing in the way of spare parts, sleeping bag, food, nothing. I ended up feeding him dinner and breakfast the next day. He spent a miserable night inside his truck. He finally left Loon Lake 11pm the next night but I don't know if he made it to the highway.

Josh Geoff Sean Malone.jpg

All three in this picture were totally ready for my camera lol.

Loon Lake.jpg

Loon lake is frigging awesome. Cold but not REAL cold. I had to catch my breath after getting in with my floaty.

Panorama.jpg

Loved the views at so many points.

Glen & Kimberly Plake Group Photo.jpg

Glen & Kimberly Plake, TV hosts of Truck Night in America stopped by. That's Glen in the plaid shirt, Kimberly felt safe effing with the harmless old guy (me). BIggest thrill I had all week lol.

Monday Brian Climbing Soupbowl.jpg

Brian McNamara being assisted by Josh Atteberry and his brother Sean McNamara.

Monday Geoff Climbing.jpg

Geoff Constable, his TJ worked really well.

Monday Josh Climbing.jpg

Josh's CJ worked great after he got his fuel problem fixed.

MondayRubicon-Climbing.jpg

Next to our campsite. This location provided much entertainment due to all the breakages and some not knowing what they're doing.

Monday Sean Malone.jpg

Sean Malone, also a member of the PBR team. Funny guy always kept us laughing.

Bridge.jpg

The Rubicon Bridge. Sean Malone is a pro photographer and used my camera to snap this. Great pic.

Jerry on Bridge.jpg

Yours truly on the bridge.

On the Bridge Last Day.jpg

Sign at Rubicon Springs.jpg

Helicopter.jpg

Helicopters are a common sight on the Rubicon, they're constantly hauling out trash and hauling in supplies, parts, etc.

Abe 2.jpg

Jeeps Lined Up Last Day.jpg

Group Shot Last Day.jpg

End of the last day. We're all just so stoked how much fun we had. It was such a great trail most are already talking about doing it again.

Jerry, looks like a blast!

Are you trying to re-arrange the photos from a desktop computer or mobile device? I know for a fact on a desktop computer you can drag and drop them in order.

Very cool! Lot’s of action going on there, helicopters, snapped DS’s!

Now that you have made the trip in person, what minimum mods would be recommended for a TJ, not to just make it, but to be “comfortable” on this trail?

Sounds like a great trip and thanks for sharing pics. How long did it take to come up with the driveshaft repair?

Congrats, that's awesome!

@Chris - the pics are giving me the "Oops!" page (404). Is may somehow just be me since it seems like the others can see them.

Congrats, that's awesome!

@Chris - the pics are giving me the "Oops!" page (404). Is may somehow just be me since it seems like the others can see them.

The pictures were working 10 minutes ago. Jerry must have deleted the attachments or something. Either that or he is in the process of editing the post.

Reactions: rasband
Jerry, looks like a blast!

Are you trying to re-arrange the photos from a desktop computer or mobile device? I know for a fact on a desktop computer you can drag and drop them in order.
That's what I ended up doing Chris. I deleted all the pics and re-did the drag & drop one at a time.

Look forward to seeing the pics when they work to open. We'll be up there next month, so really looking forward to it. Glad you had a blast Jerry.

That's what I ended up doing Chris. I deleted all the pics and re-did the drag & drop one at a time.

Got it! Looks like it worked nicely.

Now I really want to go to the Rubicon trail. That looks like a lot of fun, and very beautiful scenery too!

That's awesome, glad you finally did the Rubicon and had a good time! How did the difficulty of the trail match up to your expectations? I know you're mostly wheelin in JV and I've never been down there, so it would be interesting to hear your perspective.

The trip looked awesome! A bucket list trip for me too. Glen Plake! That guy is the reason I bought Look ski bindings as a kid.

Reactions: Kevlarr
Another great multi day trail is the Dusy Ershim Trail, it’s in the Sierras east of Fresno. 30 miles long it’s a 2 to 3 day trip if you’re not in a race to get through.

'Great time had by all' seems to be a good saying to sum it all up.....Good bunch of people and the weather seemed perfect for wheeling out there..... some of those scenery shots are truly amazing.

Wow, thanks for sharing Jerry! Looked like the best possible way to knock off a bucket item list for sure. What was Glen driving on the Rubicon?