Jerry finally does the Rubicon Trail

Looks like an amazing trip! That's some beautiful country out there too.

The Rubicon Trail has gotten a lot of publicity from Jeep marketing and such, but what did you think of it in terms of how it compares to most trails you usually go to?

Awesome trip @Jerry Bransford! Personally I cannot wait to drive over and run the Rubicon Trail. Thanks for sharing some pics!

PS: You should post that bridge pic in the RotM thread!

Reactions: khakitj
... What was Glen driving on the Rubicon?
A pretty darned nice buggy.

Glen & Kimberly Plake.jpg

The Rubicon Trail has gotten a lot of publicity from Jeep marketing and such, but what did you think of it in terms of how it compares to most trails you usually go to?
As tough in spots as most of my favored trails, though there are usually bypasses around the toughest spots. I wouldn't recommend it for a stock Jeep on stock tires. I know Jeep takes stock Jeeps on the trail but I dunno if they have special routes I didn't see but what we did was not something I'd take a stock Jeep on.

35's and f/r lockers worked well for me. Some spots I ended up turning the front locker on in addition to the rear so while it's probably possible to do it without any lockers at all I wouldn't want to.

Last edited:
Awesome photos and looks like a hell of a time. Its on my bucket list someday

I kinda kept my eye out for them but didn't see any or hear anyone mentioning that they had seen any.

Not a fan of the 'nope rope' and kept an eye out for them at Sierra Trek too, but didn't see any.

So you still didn't tell us, was it easier or tougher than you thought it would be? How did it compare to the trails you guys go on in JV?

So you still didn't tell us, was it easier or tougher than you thought it would be? How did it compare to the trails you guys go on in JV?
I did up in post #23 above at the bottom. Nothing like the tougher trails in JV. It was probably a little tougher overall than I expected but still not exceptionally hard. Some of the optional extra-credit areas are just short extra-tough obstacles like Soupbowl that are easily bypassed.

Did you guys have a chilly night on Saturday ? I know we did and we were jeeping at about the same elevation

I did the Rubi back in '06. To me, I'd compare it to the John Bull Trail in Big Bear Ca. But just the opposite, JB has more dirt sections and The Rubi has more rocks.
When we were camped out at the Springs, Jeep of North America, brought down a few new (bone ass stock) '07 JK's. Drove them down from the Tahoe side, down Caddy Hill. The parts that weren't scratched and dented cleaned up ok. But underneath, it was fugly.

Reactions: afmoto and DrDmoney
I did the Rubi back in '06. To me, I'd compare it to the John Bull Trail in Big Bear Ca. But just the opposite, JB has more dirt sections and The Rubi has more rocks.
When we were camped out at the Springs, Jeep of North America, brought down a few new (bone ass stock) '07 JK's. Drove them down from the Tahoe side, down Caddy Hill. The parts that weren't scratched and dented cleaned up ok. But underneath, it was fugly.
In ‘06, The Gatekeeper would filter out most rigs and Little Sluice had a 20 to 1 bypass rate. I miss those days. The Tahoe entrance was the easy way in if you wanted pictures of stock JK’s at The Springs. See what our little TJ’s caused.

Great post Jerry .

The guy in the truck story beats all, boy his plan was the height of optimism .