Jezza's Turbo LJ

Are You running a cooler on that setup?

Not currently, I have a rather large one that will support 1000 hp I am going to attempt to fit. I am only running 5 psi right now and that is easily done without an intercooler.

Working on a little project today with all the ice outside. I need to modify the OPDA to run the AEM Infinity correctly. A replacement cap with a sensor to read another cam trigger is probably the easiest solution, all be it a somewhat complicated one.

20230130_164756.jpg

20230130_164737.jpg

Finished the OPDA modifications for the Infinity. I mounted a Hall effect sensor just before TDC on the cam tone ring. This will allow me to get a single cam tooth trigger at TDC. The Infinity uses that to reference what cycle the engine is on.

20230203_182222.jpg

I worked on the intercooler setup a bit this week. I scavenged an air to water core from a Gallardo project I did about 10 years ago. It's been sitting in one of my shipping containers just waiting for a project. I think it is a Precision Turbo 1000hp core IIRC. 3 inch in and out with -16 water fittings. Big boy stuff. I cut the one end tank off to clear the oil cap and remove the 3 inch inlet. I need to finish the plate fro the front and finish the brackets from the block to the core. Charge pipes, water lines, bypass valve and heat exchanger left to do.

20230215_173831.jpg

20230215_173858.jpg

Last edited:
Looks amazing and super beefy for cooling. Is lag a concern when using the larger cooler and tubing?

I sure can be. It's more of an issue on vehicles with a front or side mount intercooler and large piping. The more volume the turbo needs to fill the longer the lag.

I sure can be. It's more of an issue on vehicles with a front or side mount intercooler and large piping. The more volume the turbo needs to fill the longer the lag.

The real question is this: Is the trade off of a little increased lag worth the additional power from the resulting cooler air charge? My guess is probably.

Reactions: MikeE024 and Jezza
The ones you really notice lag on are the rear mount systems like the STS. I drove one of those installed on a Charger and it was painful waiting on the boost.

The real question is this: Is the trade off of a little increased lag worth the additional power from the resulting cooler air charge? My guess is probably.

To take it another step, it seems like a game of relativity. Meaning, if Jezza sees lag and can't get a slightly smaller cooler that will handle his cooling needs, then the larger cooler's lag may be well worth it. But, if he can reduce lag by choosing a slightly smaller unit that doesn't lose cooling (in the event he was overbuilt for his cooling needs), then I could see his detailed nature wanting to further dial things in.

I was still getting codes related to the 42RLE transmission that I couldn't get rid of with HP Tuners or by other means. I called @Wranglerfix and they got me set up with a PCM for a manual trans programmed with my vin. For anyone wondering the PCM they sent me was able to be read and tuned with HP Tuners. I transfered over my tables and it runs great without the 42RLE codes.

20230326_120846.jpg

20230326_120745.jpg

This jeep has a ford trans right now? If so how is that coming along?

Yep, it has the 6R80 6 speed auto. It has been installed and running since the end of December. I have probably put 2k miles on it or so since then. It runs like a champ.

Reactions: Wildman and Rickyd
I was still getting codes related to the 42RLE transmission that I couldn't get rid of with HP Tuners or by other means. I called @Wranglerfix and they got me set up with a PCM for a manual trans programmed with my vin. For anyone wondering the PCM they sent me was able to be read and tuned with HP Tuners. I transfered over my tables and it runs great without the 42RLE codes.

View attachment 410526

View attachment 410527

You are operating on a whole different plane to me, so far above mine that it is in fact only just visible. But love seeing the quality of what you do.

The 4.7 stroker engine is getting assembled now that I have finally located a good crankshaft. In preparation of the engine being finished I have been spending my vast amounts of spare time working on the AEM harness and getting engine parts ready to assemble. I am going to reuse the same harness from the TJ build, but change the PCM plugs to the NGC style. I also want to add a few circuits for the trans temp, trans fan, traction control, trans shift cut, etc.. I also made up some intake/exhaust studs and washers. The studs and nuts are ARP and the washers I made here from 8740 steel. My old ones are rusty and some are missing being replaced with Home Depot hex garbage.

Jeep 4 Manifold Washers.jpg

The 4.7 stroker engine is getting assembled now that I have finally located a good crankshaft. In preparation of the engine being finished I have been spending my vast amounts of spare time working on the AEM harness and getting engine parts ready to assemble. I am going to reuse the same harness from the TJ build, but change the PCM plugs to the NGC style. I also want to add a few circuits for the trans temp, trans fan, traction control, trans shift cut, etc.. I also made up some intake/exhaust studs and washers. The studs and nuts are ARP and the washers I made here from 8740 steel. My old ones are rusty and some are missing being replaced with Home Depot hex garbage.

View attachment 411930

Can you expand a bit on going to NGC plugs? Is there a certain Part# that’s compatible with our PCM plug jacks?

I have one PCM plug that refuses to latch, so I’m game to replace the plug and maybe all of them if the NGC route is superior.

Can you expand a bit on going to NGC plugs? Is there a certain Part# that’s compatible with our PCM plug jacks?

I have one PCM plug that refuses to latch, so I’m game to replace the plug and maybe all of them if the NGC route is superior.

My 2002 had the JTEC PCM. That is the 3 plug PCM used from 97-04. My LJ has the newer 4 plug NGC PCM used in the 05-06. My AEM harness plugs into the PCM and has a small bit of wire then another female PCM bulkhead that the harness plugs into. That allows me to tap-in, intercept or pass-thru wires from the harness to either the PCM or AEM. Of course my old setup was for the 3 plug JTEC and the newer LJ needs the 4 plug NGC, so some modification is underway. I'll post up some pics when I get it closer to being done.

I got the engine back yesterday. It's still a 4.7 stroker bottom end with an Edelbrock head. I need to order a thicker head gasket as my piston to head clearance is a little tight and my compression ratio is a tad high for boost. Once I get that in I can button it up and drop it in.

20230414_172305.jpg