Colorado Krew Hangout

If you can tune into the scientific aspects of the work, it's a bit more fun. Photography was still new in his time and the idea of capturing light was a new way of viewing the world as something separate from the actual subject matter. Abstract painting came from here and it happened fast.

This was also a time when art began to shift away from recording the wealthy through portraits (again photography) and representing highbrow topics from history and literature. Instead, Monet and others were looking at farms, factories, bars and hookers. This was the early stages of dirty lowbrow subject matter being explored through art and music. The 1880's weren't that long ago.

It's really impressive when you recognize how an artist (or genre) reflects a cultural trend that lead to the next economic and cultural phase. I've found that understanding the era is pretty imperative to actually appreciating more (since the strokes, medium, etc, escape me).

My liberal arts degree at work :D

Reactions: tworley and jjvw
I'm actually pretty excited to go. We got our tickets maybe 6 months ago. I was never one to appreciate art but after meeting my wife she has really opened me up to it in the last 5 years.

Reactions: rasband and jjvw
It's really impressive when you recognize how an artist (or genre) reflects a cultural trend that lead to the next economic and cultural phase. I've found that understanding the era is pretty imperative to actually appreciating more (since the strokes, medium, etc, escape me).

My liberal arts degree at work :D

So much of what we think of as cultured and high class started out as an attack on the cultured and high class of it's day.

Reactions: rasband
It's a good thing Tyler is in Phoenix.
Screenshot_20191023-211716_Chrome.jpg

The Monet exhibit was pretty great. If they have tickets left I would recommend going. The layout was a bit weird and confusing, we had to push our way thru the first couple paintings because everyone was standing around. They have little ear sets that you can dial a certain number, and it will explain what you are seeing. There are paintings on both sides of you so it was crowded until we got further in. His ability to create texture is pretty astounding, along with his ability to mimic reflections in the water. There was one painting which honestly looked like you could pick up the fallen leaves. His impressions from Vetheuil were probably my favorite, main focus being landscapes and the abundant colors he saw. Very vivid. I only took a few photos of what I thought were my favorites, otherwise I was to busy enjoying them with my own eyes.
20191026_143646.jpg
20191026_145722.jpg
20191026_150129.jpg
20191026_150510.jpg
20191026_151056.jpg

20191026_151028.jpg
20191026_150055.jpg
20191026_145133.jpg

Reactions: rasband and jjvw
I think it looks better on an LJ than a TJ. Gr8tops sells them new for not much more.

View attachment 122470

Proportionally, yes. I agree it looks better on the LJ. A lot of the photos out there are on stockish rigs, when on a rig with big tires, lift, etc.. they look good to me. The only way I would get one is if it was just a few hundred bucks and someone wanted to offload it. I couldnt bring myself to spend that much on the top.

Reactions: ranger101
Wheres the Environmental impact statement? Definitely want to comment but don't know the reasoning behind it. Maybe I just can't find it on my phone...

I sent a statement. I don't know if it is the right approach or not, but I tried to make a distinction between a licensed and registered Jeep and an ATV, UTV or dirt bike. I think we all know where the majority of the trail abuse is coming from and the efforts to reduce the problem need to be focused on the groups that are creating it.