Colorado Krew Hangout

Sounds like it is more focused on stopping energy development (oil/gas/solar).

Couple more links but not the actual bill nor have I found the bill. I’m guessing (I don’t have maps) that we will be loosing road access to a lot of land.
https://doc-04-64-docs.googleuserco.../1I9e9gYCTeSxhThfM9A8TBf5LMKTAGzWV?e=download
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/01/...koBO0StrDBugZYJjsi7HLYd28Ku_BoYubPqp0sr90B-Ac

Given the backing of the original link to start the thread, it seems like motorized vehicles will be losing access to a fair bit of land. If not explicitly, through ambiguity in the map clarity (the latter may have just been an objection regarding reviewability).

Reactions: Powdermonkey
I am all for preservation. I'd rather have the ability to see vast wilderness and wildlife and be able to actually get away from city development. One of the articles says "Polis is quick to point out that his plans do not take away uses. No area currently open to motorized use will be closed for snowmobiles, ATVs, and motorcycles". What does that mean for us jeepers? Not entirely sure. Seems every year there is talk of trails closing. Some of it has happened--Twin Cone, seasonal closure on Slaughterhouse, I believe some of the gulches near Tarryall...

This effects areas nears Leadville, San Juans, and the Thompson Divide. Primarily focused on withdrawing NEW oil and gas leasing. I really need to sit down and read thru all of it. I think we'll be ok

Reactions: rasband
I can almost guarantee Thompson Divide is about oil and gas. They have mineral rights up there but from what I understand they were highly limited on what they could do. I was contracted to remove what was know as deadman’s curve and people were pissed at us for it. They were convinced it was for the oil and gas but it wasn’t. It was just a narrow and blind curve that needed to be fixed. I don’t think people realize how oil and gas companies effect everyone directly or indirectly buts that another conversation.
I’m not against putting land aside for nature even if negativity affects me. But if they’re going to restrict some, restrict all motorized vehicles and maybe that’s what they’re doing.

I’m not against putting land aside for nature even if negativity affects me. But if they’re going to restrict some, restrict all motorized vehicles and maybe that’s what they’re doing.

If I understand correctly, the proposal is regarding "wilderness" areas - so it's pretty restrictive (no cars, motorcycles, bicycles, or even chain saws).

Reactions: Powdermonkey
If no one is busy on 3/30, we will be running Chinaman gulch in Buena Vista. TrailDamage rates this a 4-7 out of 10. See recommendations below. This trail is 6 miles but can take 6+ hours to complete.

————————————————————————————————————————————-
Okay Phools, here is the date this year.
April 1st falls on Monday so the 30th makes the most sense.

Chinaman,for those that want to play on rocks, and probably 4 mile for those that want to something a little tamer. The upper elevations have been getting hammered this year with snow (
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif
) so 4 mile will probably be the only thing open when we go for the mild but wild run.

Doug I am sure will post recommendations for Chinaman but it will be 33" minimum tires and I would suggest 35's, rear locker and plenty of body (rock rails and diff) armor. If you haven't ran it before this is a big rock kind of a trail that will test your gear.

The mild but wild run can be ran in a stock rig.

bring a lunch and a great sense of humor while we kick off the summer in our usual way.

Looking forward to seeing all you crazy SOB's!!

Meet up will be the Gunsmoke truck stop at 09:00 leaving for the trail at 10:00
12916 US-24, Buena Vista, CO 81211

Get them rigs put back together and lets hit the rocks!!

awesome.png

Well here is Doug's recommendations for this trip.

First of all this trip can be effected by weather but typically isn't a problem. Be prepared for anything and any weather. Bring your tools, shovels, recovery gear, spare parts, and all weather gear. Basically be prepared for anything. Bring food and something to drink.

I'm going to start with the mild trip. This will be in the Fourmile area. This trail will be open to all levels of Jeeps. This trip has a few areas where you might need 4wd. It will start in Buena Vista and go south. You will catch trails that will bring you back to the highway where you will cross continuing on more trails coming out south of Buena Vista. Great all day trip. Great trip for all levels. Just bring a great attitude and have fun.

Chinamans, like tworley said be ready for anything on this one. These recommendations are a bare minimum and may be enforced. Don't waste others time because you "think" you can do it. I state these recommendations based on previous trips and the way the trail has changed in the past few years.

CJ, YJ, TJ, LJ you will need a bare minimum of 33" tires, one locker and armor. 35" or bigger are realistically what you will need. JK all levels and JL all levels you will need a minimum of 35" tires one locker and armor.

Now just because someone said " I did it stock and no lockers" dosen't mean you should. If you want to run this trail like that, just let us know. You can go after we leave. Dont ruin our trip just because you think you can. I'm including a picture of 2 rigs who didnt think it through. I saw 1 rig parted out later on FB because they basically ruined this rig on Carnage. The other was sold whole but was tore up. Someone told them it was easy. It took a day and half to get 2 similar rigs out. Lots of winching and body damage.

On all trips you need to listen to 1 spotter and trust them. They know what they are doing. The spotter may have additional help but the spotter is who you are paying attention to.

Get your rig ready to go. Check it out for wear and tear. Dont wait until later to fix it. I broke 3 times last year on this trail. The last time took months to repair and rebuild. Now if you dont know me, then you don't know that I play hard on this trail. I built my rig based on this trail and have continually upgraded mine to be better on this trail. When you are done you just might do the same.

And a video if you have never seen/run this trail.

I haven't been paying attention over there. I should be able to make it this year!

Reactions: tworley
That looks like a good time. If it was a day or two earlier I might've made a detour to try and come. I'll be heading through Cheyenne going east on the 29th if everything goes to plan. Have fun!

BTW, which are the two rigs that couldn't make it and got destroyed? All the Jeeps in the photos look pretty good to me.

I'll throw it on the calendar for when I can actually thing and plan, we are moving this week and my mind is all over the place with that 😅. New garage week!!

Good luck with the move.

There was a year where my wife and I moved to Baltimore for a job she got. We ended up hiring some college kids thru a moving company to pack/unpack the house. It was the best money we ever spent. We boxed it all up, but they took it from the living room to the truck, I bet in under an hour it was all loaded and secured. IIRC it was $200, but it saved us an entire day.

I know it's a JK but c'mon, he's my brother!

Be on the lookout--2017 4 door grey Rubicon. Plate # GFQ667. Stolen from Fredrick this afternoon. Best picture I have and about the only info I have at the moment, it's my brother's jeep. I'll try and update if I hear more details.

I know it's a JK but c'mon, he's my brother!

Be on the lookout--2017 4 door grey Rubicon. Plate # GFQ667. Stolen from Fredrick this afternoon. Best picture I have and about the only info I have at the moment, it's my brother's jeep. I'll try and update if I hear more details.

View attachment 78663
Sucks they’re so many scumbags in the world. Hopefully they find it and it’s not destroyed.

Reactions: tworley
They broke into his house too, stole birth certificates, passports, money and bank info, weapons, found the keys and took the jeep right out of the garage.

• Angry
Reactions: rasband
Man that sucks! I can’t imagine how violating that must feel.
My BP just had his email hacked. Although he was stupid, these assholes are making our life difficult. I just wish they bring back quarting.