Colorado Krew Hangout

The news report said the driver had gotten out to help someone else and set the parking brake but didn't put the transmission in park. The jeep began to roll forward and he couldn't stop it in time. The female passenger was ejected soon after.

Field work outside of Glenwood Springs late last week

20201119_123519.jpg

Anyone know which parts of the Front Range National Forests are open again? Looks like most forest areas not associated to East Troublesome / Cameron Peak are open:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd844559.pdf
I don't have a lot of experience researching this and the information seems very hard to come by - sorry if the question is obvious.

I'd call the forest service and ask them based on which area you want to go and explore.

Any chance there is somebody in Southern CO that might be willing to help me with some stuff? I am working on an axle swap but do not have any experience with gears/seals. Need to replace a leaking pinion seal, inspect gears and locker, and install axle lock sensor. Certainly don't know how to do any of those things.

Pm me or respond here if you might be willing to help me out.

Coming in on 70 tomorrow and doing Crested Butte / Telluride / Ouray over the next couple days. I'm snowboarding a bit this week, but anything cool I should see on the drive in? Staying in Crested Butte and Ouray.

Coming in on 70 tomorrow and doing Crested Butte / Telluride / Ouray over the next couple days. I'm snowboarding a bit this week, but anything cool I should see on the drive in? Staying in Crested Butte and Ouray.
Is it your first time out here?

Ok here is a series of "Stupid Questions" from a Texan who has only driven in snow a few times.
I'm going to Boulder for a wedding the 3rd week of January. My only 4x4 is my LJ and I'm not driving it from Texas. I thought about flat towing it behind my truck and then having it to drive around while I'm there. I'm not sure how it will flat tow in different weather conditions. I have towed it plenty in wet rainy conditions. What suggestions would yall make. If this is the wrong place for this question please delete and oops. Please go easy on me. " If God wanted Texans to ski he would have made BULLSHIT white".

I'd leave your LJ and just bring your truck. Most trails are closed here in the winter so you're not going to be doing any wheeling

We will be driving other places to do other activities and thought I would need it to go to other places. Of course if any of the places are open. I was told if you were going to go up in elevation that a 4x4 is needed. If we try to snowmobile or train ride or whatever. Thanks for the input. Also if anyone needs something brought from Texas let me know. I might be cheaper than standard shipping LOL. MOE

We will be driving other places to do other activities and thought I would need it to go to other places. Of course if any of the places are open. I was told if you were going to go up in elevation that a 4x4 is needed. If we try to snowmobile or train ride or whatever. Thanks for the input. Also if anyone needs something brought from Texas let me know. I might be cheaper than standard shipping LOL. MOE
I'm guessing your truck is RWD. If so, and if you plan to drive into the mountains, you'll be much better off either carefully planning to ensure you're not up there for snow or driving a FWD/AWD/4WD vehicle. Bear in mind it's nearly impossible to predict snow in the mountains. Many cases where forecasts were for clear skies and the slopes got several inches of powder.

The Amtrak train from Denver to Glenwood Springs is an beautiful ride. Trains around Durango are running, but limited capacity and routes are reduced - Durango to Silverton isn't operating.

There are some excellent snowmobiling options in the Copper Triangle area (Copper Mountain / Leadville / Minturn/Vail).

Not sure where you're snowboarding but definitely look into the reservations. I know Vail resorts have been limiting capacity and are on a reservation system.

Reactions: rasband