JK and JL frames made by Hyundai

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Not sure if this is true or not, but I was talking to someone today and we got to talking about the issue with the JL frames. He was a very knowledgable guy, and he was telling me that the frames for both the JK and JL are manufactured by Hyundai for Jeep.

Not surprising at all given that most auto manufacturers don't build all their own parts.

I just thought it was interesting, that's all.

Not sure if this is true or not, but I was talking to someone today and we got to talking about the issue with the JL frames. He was a very knowledgable guy, and he was telling me that the frames for both the JK and JL are manufactured by Kia for Jeep.

Not surprising at all given that most auto manufacturers don't build all their own parts.

I just thought it was interesting, that's all.

I think Kia owns a Jeep now might be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Kia owns a Jeep now might be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, Jeep is owned by FCA (Fiat Chrysler America).

Hyundai is supposedly in talks to buy Jeep however. Guess it kind of makes sense that they make the frames then.

Reactions: Chris
My neighbor/wheeling buddy has a JKU, I think it's a 2016. Anyway, last winter he was backing out of his driveway & the track bar mount welds broke free & he couldn't steer. Fortunately he just pulled back into the driveway then had it towed to the dealership. They told him it involves welding so there was nothing they could do so off it went to the JpShop for repairs, cost him a nice chunk of change.

I was under the impression that this particular issue was new to the JL but I could be wrong, anyone know if it's been an ongoing issue with the JK line as well?

I haven't heard of the issue happening on JK frames, but I can't say I'm surprised to hear about it. If it was happening on JK frames, it was clearly on much less of a scale than what is currently going on with the JL frames.

Those frame issues seem like a nightmare. Not good for the JL at all. I was just reading https://www.hotcars.com/fca-recalli...ution&utm_source=HC-FB-P&utm_campaign=HC-FB-P
Oh damn! That is bad.

They seem to have spent so much effort on adding computerized features and convenient features that they overlooked the most crucial part: Make the frame strong and dependable.

It's like building a castle on a swamp.
th?id=OIP.jpg

Reactions: tomtaylz and Chris
Based on personal experience, I'd rather Jeep be owned by Hyundai than Fiat. The quality control wont be any worse and should be alot better.

Korean made cars are up there in the scale since 2005. We had a KIA Sportage for 375,000 miles and was trouble free.
The hatch back hinge fell apart at 360,000 miles due to rust and timing belt snapped at 375,000 miles end up with bent piston rod.

I was completely shocked when the dealer gave us a tiny Fiat for the day when my JKU was getting lineX'd. I looked at the service guy and I said I just gave you a brand new Jeep with 46 miles and you're giving me this POS? Yes, yes they did give me that POS :( it was a very long day in that tiny car.

Reactions: Equilibrium31
The Jeep JL frames are made at Plymouth michigan. The company who makes the jeep is called TOWER AUTOMOTIVE

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk