JK averages 10 mpg

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I'm sorry, my friend sent me this and I just couldn't help but laugh out loud :risas3:

screen shot 2018-12-29 at 8.26.54 am.jpg

But come on... With tires that big and all that weight, expecting much more than 10 mpg (around town at least) is a little silly.

Reactions: Bird and mots
I'd be curious to know what his previous vehicles were... since he mentions it doesn't have as much "get up and go" as they did. Watch, it's probably something like a Nissan 350Z.

LOL. Popular Wrangler mods and fuel economy are diametrically opposed. Welcome to the club buddy! I get a measly 15 mpg on my 32's/3.73, 95% city driving. 10 mpg for 37's on a heavier rig sounds about right to me.

10 mpg for 37's on a heavier rig sounds about right to me.

My thoughts exactly. Mine gets maybe 14 mpg at most on 35s, but mine is also a lot smaller and lighter than his JKU, and my tires are smaller too.

So 10 mpg sounds right to me. You can always get a bit more on pure highway driving with consistent speed, but around town, that's where it sucks to be a modified Jeep Wrangler owner!

Yeah 10 sounds about right.

I wheel with a couple of JK's and on long trips, they fill up more often than I do " both on 37's "and I'm only getting 13-14.

Reactions: Chris
I am far from an engineer. But basic aero dynamics is simple. Most cars are built lower to the ground. Trucks still have air dams to minimize the amount of air that gets underneath the vehicle.

As jeepers we toss all that sound and proven information in the trash. We lift higher and do not want anything hanging down that might impact ground clearance.

We remove fenders and add tubing slyle that now creates a zone were the air goes in but cant get out.

We add so much more weight from axles, armor, lockers, skid plates, tires. Something that was never factored into MPG.

We change gear ratios to match tires (the smart ones do) but fail to take into the account of the extra power required to turn these larger tires.

Then we ask why am i getting 12 MPG. When this little stock jeep gets 16.........

I am far from an engineer. But basic aero dynamics is simple. Most cars are built lower to the ground. Trucks still have air dams to minimize the amount of air that gets underneath the vehicle.

As jeepers we toss all that sound and proven information in the trash. We lift higher and do not want anything hanging down that might impact ground clearance.

We remove fenders and add tubing slyle that now creates a zone were the air goes in but cant get out.

We add so much more weight from axles, armor, lockers, skid plates, tires. Something that was never factored into MPG.

We change gear ratios to match tires (the smart ones do) but fail to take into the account of the extra power required to turn these larger tires.

Then we ask why am i getting 12 MPG. When this little stock jeep gets 16.........

Exactly. It’s like one big giant air brake.

Reactions: RD3
I'd be curious to know what his previous vehicles were... since he mentions it doesn't have as much "get up and go" as they did. Watch, it's probably something like a Nissan 350Z.

I loved my 350z to death. That was such an amazing car if you didnt rice it out. Although, it was cursed.

Ok guys I'm going to hijack this for a second. I want to get my husband some shocks for his JKU so that it rides smoother. I'm assuming Ranchos, but can you guys help me with advise on what I need to get him please?

The JKU is a lot less picky on shocks as it's a much heavier vehicle than our TJ's.
The reason you hear the Rancho's being highly recommended is due to price and being properly valved for the lighter weight TJ.

Man I'm laughing . First , with the "keep the ignorant comments to yourself " line , I bet he sat their for like 2 weeks waiting on advice .

Second , it weighs 5000 lbs. It has a 3.6 V6 (if he's lucky) , The tires came off Bigfoot , and it's likely geared stock.

That post is kind of like ," I farted in bed and yanked the sheets over my wife's head , and now she is upset , why is that? " Because you are an idiot , that's why.

I came really close to buying a 2016 JK Rubicon this past week , just to see what the 4 door life was all about . Posts like that make me glad I got my daughter a minivan instead.