JK axle swap into TJ

Matt T

I apologize in advance if this has already been addressed. I am going to be swapping the axles on my TJ to JK axles. I know of all the truss mounts that I'll purchase and I'll have to run JK steering or a 1 ton setup. But what I can't find is what pitman arm I need. I currently have a 5.5 RE long arm kit installed with a 2in drop pitman with the Y-link steering. So do I need a TJ pitman or JK pitman. Everything I read says the TJ pitman will not throw the tires all the way and the steering box stops will contact first. But I don't know if the JK arm will fit on the steering box shaft. I know people have done this swap and any help would be appreciated.

If you have Facebook, come and join the Jeeps with JK axle group, lots of good info and guys that are quick to answer.
Have a good plan and stick with your budget, I went over in my rear axle swap, I’ll be ordering a front rather than cutting/welding etc. a JK axle.
There is also a link to a 300+ build thread that cover everything.
Facebook link won’t work, search for this group:
021AAF37-3684-4226-83C9-B6D28A11DC2C.png

Awesome. I don't have Facebook but I guess my wife is about to join the group. 😂 Being on Guam makes it a bit more difficult to have a cheap budget but I do have the axles already. I picked up a JK Dana 44 rear with a Yukon grizzly locker and nitro chromoly axles. And JK Dana 30 with RCV axles and Aussie locker. Both have 4.88 gearing. All brake discs and calipers included for $2500. Around here that's a steal.

Going with the jk2tj conversion from Artec for both but just have to make the tracbar and drag link.

Thanks for the help. Should be a fun build.

Last edited:
Awesome. I don't have Facebook but I guess my wife is about to join the group. 😂 Being on Guam makes it a bit more difficult to have a cheap budget but I do have the axles already. I picked up a JK Dana 44 rear with a Yukon grizzly locker and nitro chromoly axles. And JK Dana 30 with RCV axles and Aussie locker. Both have 4.88 gearing. All brake discs and calipers included for $2500. Around here that's a steal.

Going with the jk2tj conversion from Artec for both but just have to make the tracbar and drag link.

Thanks for the help. Should be a fun build.
Well, that’s an awesome starting point, I replaced everything on my axle and it cost quite a bit.
The Artec kit is easy and setups up well. Measure your lower control arm mounting points before you tack on, I’d like to have mine about 1/2” in than what the instructions claim.
Once you get going start a build thread and I’ll try and comment on things I noticed when installing that kit.
Good luck, I really like my rubicon elocker.