JK freedom top issue

MaggiCzer

My freedom tops appear to fit perfectly if you’re looking at them from the top.
I can get everything to latch EXCEPT the two that hook to the windshield. I can push the lever forward but it won’t grab on to the hook. We tried shoving up the back hard top with no luck. I have a tiny leak on both sides when going through the car wash near where the pins go in. The pins definitely look like they need to go in further, but they are lined up properly.
a3040e266eda9d1c6abf27e5abf4bbe8.jpg
92d1dc97cc3f2230a783f6b7aded2561.jpg

Help please !
a3040e266eda9d1c6abf27e5abf4bbe8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have time I'm sure if you drove by the dealer they would be glad to give you a hand. Nothing compares to hands on experience. You can sit in a new JL at the same time.

Reactions: MaggiCzer
Try unscrewing the 2 bolts in the sound bar, then latch at the windshield.

It’s possible that the 2 screws in back are too tight.

If you have time I'm sure if you drove by the dealer they would be glad to give you a hand. Nothing compares to hands on experience. You can sit in a new JL at the same time.

I’m following your video. No change. Still not clipping to windshield

@MaggiCzer, it's been a couple of years since I had my JK, but if I remember correctly, the latches do not actually 'hook' on to anything. The front of the latch is supposed to go under the footman loop (not clip on to it, hook it, or grab it), and when you close the latch, it pulls the top down, because the latch is pushing up on the footman loop when closed...is that what you're doing?

Reactions: Camdenst
cc4ca472eecbc26f6199605a4c3ecced.jpg

This is what it’s like. Maybe it’s right and I’m just a newbie and feels like it should latch better.

View attachment 49531

This is what it’s like. Maybe it’s right and I’m just a newbie and feels like it should latch better.

Can you open the latch, let it hang down, and take a photo of it? In your photo, the rubber foot should be under the footman loop, not behind it. I can understand your frustration. It seems the arm that the foot is on is too short. Is there any adjustment to that at all? That's why a photo of the latch open would help...

Can you open the latch, let it hang down, and take a photo of it? In your photo, the rubber foot should be under the footman loop, not behind it. I can understand your frustration. It seems the arm that the foot is on is too short. Is there any adjustment to that at all? That's why a photo of the latch open would help...

35c1d9b689756ca773772c0b0f0046df.jpg

Sent a photo with it open. It’s almost like the rubber smashes in to the metal hook vs going under it

In this photo, with the latch in that position, can you push the foot forward while holding the bottom of the latch back, so the rubber foot is next to the footman loop, then close the latch, so the rubber foot is pushing up on the loop? That foot should be extended forward before you close the latch...
35c1d9b689756ca773772c0b0f0046df-jpg.jpg

In this photo, with the latch in that position, can you push the foot forward while holding the bottom of the latch back, so the rubber foot is next to the footman loop, then close the latch, so the rubber foot is pushing up on the loop? That foot should be extended forward before you close the latch...
View attachment 49533

I’m struggling. How can I upload a short video

Not sure on a video, I haven't uploaded any...

What I am getting at is, if you open the latch all the way back, then extend that foot forward all the way it will go (it should move forward independently of the latch handle), it should then be close to or touching the loop. Then close the big latch, and that should be it!

Not sure on a video, I haven't uploaded any...

What I am getting at is, if you open the latch all the way back, then extend that foot forward all the way it will go (it should move forward independently of the latch handle), it should then be close to or touching the loop. Then close the big latch, and that should be it!

Yeah I’m trying that with no luck :(

It might be stuck in that position, and needs to be freed up. The foot should go forward, to where it is either touching, or almost touching that loop, before you even move the latch handle forward...maybe you could try prying it with a tool of some sort to free it up.