JK wheels on my TJ

Cbenne4137

When I was researching about putting jk wheels on my tj I couldn’t find all the info in one spot. I searched for 3 hours to make my decision. So let me tell you what I did.
I bought some cheap 2015 rubicon rims off of Craigslist ($250) and put new tires on ($800). I used a 2 inch adapters off amazon ($160) and they work perfect. Be sure to get hubcentric adapters. That’s about it. Here’s a picture of before and after.

D5654EC3-3D02-44C2-BBFA-9FA94F389FD5.jpeg

A22E8ADB-1DFB-45E4-A8CB-ED0632EA5739.jpeg

Reactions: EJD and JMT
Those look really nice. Food for thought. I have a black TJ too. Those would look cool on my car. lol. I just used the stock JK rims and tires. Got both for $300 new. Couldn't pass up being able to put that extra money elsewhere in the Jeep. SO I did the same thing as you 2" adapters. Runs great and I got my entire turning radius back. As I had been running 31"s.

Tell me more about "hubcentric adapters"? I have not heard that term. And what size are you new rims?

Those look really nice. Food for thought. I have a black TJ too. Those would look cool on my car. lol. I just used the stock JK rims and tires. Got both for $300 new. Couldn't pass up being able to put that extra money elsewhere in the Jeep. SO I did the same thing as you 2" adapters. Runs great and I got my entire turning radius back. As I had been running 31"s.

Tell me more about "hubcentric adapters"? I have not heard that term. And what size are you new rims?
Hubcentric refers to the locating method for spacers and wheel adapters as well as rims and rotors.

The OEM unitbearing has a pilot in the middle of it that does two things, it registers the rotor center bore to make it concentric to the flange on the bearing and the section that sticks out past the rotor face, registers the center hub hole in the stock rim which fits it fairly close, thus, hub centric.

Most after market rims do not have the tight fitting center hole so they can fit a variety of vehicles, so they register and locate the rim on the lug studs, thus lug centric.

While I do appreciate and enjoy the peace of mind hub centric spacers and adapters afford, folks rarely recommend that one must only run hub centric rims to mimic how the factory designed it to be, but they almost always recommend hub centric spacers and adapters. I wouldn't say they were wrong, but it does give one pause to wonder about such things.

Reactions: Feralkid

The new rims are 17’s.

When I was researching about putting jk wheels on my tj I couldn’t find all the info in one spot. I searched for 3 hours to make my decision. So let me tell you what I did.
I bought some cheap 2015 rubicon rims off of Craigslist ($250) and put new tires on ($800). I used a 2 inch adapters off amazon ($160) and they work perfect. Be sure to get hubcentric adapters. That’s about it. Here’s a picture of before and after.

View attachment 72972

View attachment 72973
I have passed on the purchase of many of those sets of tires and rims locally because I have never liked the way they look on any vehicle I've seen them on except yours. I don't do black Jeeps but if I did, a set of those rims would be in my pile.

Reactions: Cbenne4137
Same here. By the way, @Cbenne4137, do you have any suspension changes, and do you know the axle gear ratio on your X?

All I have is about a 1-2 inch lift. Im going back on the trails today so I’ll see how capable it still is. The gear ratio is 3.07. It drives great. I rarely use 5th gear now but it doesn’t really bother me.

I've never been much of a fan of JK wheels on a TJ, but those look great on yours! I really like the tan hard top also.

I'm the same way. The matte silver five-spoke JK wheels just look weird as hell on TJs.

These wheels, however, look very fitting!