JKS quicker disconnect issue

UglyDuck

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I caved and got the JKS 2001 disconnects. I read how easy the install was, and for the most part can agree, aside from one of the links not adjusting easily due to stuck threads. Once that was solved, I adjusted the lengths and noticed a difference between the two. At first it was a lot, maybe a couple inches, but I also realized I wasn’t perfectly level.
So I leveled the jeep, and adjusted again. Now they are within about 1/2 of an inch from each other, but still off.

Could I have a bent sway bar?
Does it matter?
Thanks in advance.

-Jason

368A2C51-A2C2-41B3-97D0-C666B7A52828.jpeg

Personally I'd put the Jeep on level ground and put the links on so they fit easily and with the bar at approximately the correct angle. I wouldn't worry if they are different lengths. Even if you did bend the sway bar who cares? As long as it doesn't hit the frame it'll still work about the same.

Reactions: Jim Byrne
You'll want to set them for the way the Jeep sits. Otherwise, they won't be quick disconnects.
However, I would still investigate why there's an issue for peace of mind.

It should only take a couple of measurements to figure out if it's the sway bar or the sway bar mounts on the axle.

Last edited:
You'll want to set them for the way the Jeep sits. Otherwise, they won't be quick disconnects.
However, I would still investigate why there's an issue for peace of mind.
So what do you suggest for investigating? Short of removing the sway bar, I don’t know what other variables there are. Brackets are welded to the axle from the factory, correct?

if your Jeep is leaning like most of them do it'll do this as well. There isn't a good place to get a measurement, that is such a small offset I'd forget it. Next thing you know you'll realize your Jeep is actually leaning and you'll never let that one go. Don't go down the rabbit hole, bolt it up and go play.

Reactions: Sancho and SvtLdr
Just because you're parked on level ground doesn't mean the Jeep is level. It's not uncommon to have opposite corners ride at different elevations.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
You could check your sway bar for straightness by:
1. Disconnecting both links.
2. Level one side of the bar using and angle finder or digital level.
3. Go measure the opposite side to compare the angle.

$4 inclinometer from Harbor Freight. Use it to find the same angle on both sides rather than measuring the links or their threads.
20220106_193211.jpg
20220106_193231.jpg

Reactions: UglyDuck
$4 inclinometer from Harbor Freight. Use it to find the same angle on both sides rather than measuring the links or their threads. View attachment 300995View attachment 300996
That’s cool. I happened to have a digital protractor; so I used it.
On a side note; I noticed you have your links installed contrary to the instructions. The say to install the attach bracket on top of the sway bar, but I see in your pic it’s installed below it. Did you do that on purpose to reduce the amount of exposed threads?

On a side note; I noticed you have your links installed contrary to the instructions. The say to install the attach bracket on top of the sway bar, but I see in your pic it’s installed below it. Did you do that on purpose to reduce the amount of exposed threads?
Wish I could say it was for a savvy reason like that, but apparently I just can't read directions! 🤦‍♂️

Never realized they weren't set up correctly. I've never had any issues with them though....especially the unexposed threads. 👍😉

Wish I could say it was for a savvy reason like that, but apparently I just can't read directions! 🤦‍♂️

Never realized they weren't set up correctly. I've never had any issues with them though....especially the unexposed threads. 👍😉
All good, wasn’t trying to call you out, just caught my eye because I started out installing mine like that but then when I read the directions I caught it.

All good, wasn’t trying to call you out, just caught my eye because I started out installing mine like that but then when I read the directions I caught it.
No worries at all; didn't take it that way...totally making fun of myself. 😃

I see you're in Goodyear. If you haven't, you should add yourself to the AZ Members Who Like to Wheel thread. Good bunch of folks who get together for trail rides when we can.

If you need a new sway bar, I’d reccomend posting an ISO ad, there’s enough of us that installed Antirocks and probably have one sitting in a corner of garages

I don't have these specific disconnects, and am usually pretty good at visualization, but from the picture am having a really hard time understanding how that QD bracket would attach on top of the sway bar without interference. I looked at a couple videos and threads and they all seem to have them installed the same as DaveC.

It certainly isn't critical, but can you sort me out on this? We're talking about the C bracket that is attached to the sway bar itself and that is presently sitting under the swaybar, correct? And you are suggesting that that bracket should be on top of the sway bar with the nut on the underside? Or am I completely misunderstanding your post?

Doug

I don't have these specific disconnects, and am usually pretty good at visualization, but from the picture am having a really hard time understanding how that QD bracket would attach on top of the sway bar without interference. I looked at a couple videos and threads and they all seem to have them installed the same as DaveC.

It certainly isn't critical, but can you sort me out on this? We're talking about the C bracket that is attached to the sway bar itself and that is presently sitting under the swaybar, correct? And you are suggesting that that bracket should be on top of the sway bar with the nut on the underside? Or am I completely misunderstanding your post?

Doug
You just take the U shaped piece and set it on top of the sway bar. Then add the bolt from the top through the U bolt and sway bar and put the nut on the bottom.