JKs: Things you dislike about them

They're difficult to work on, they're "too new" in my opinion. As Michael said, overengineered.

They tried too hard to make it appeal to too many people and now the utilitarian Jeep owners aren't as interested. I don't like when I look under the hood and I don't know what half the crap under it is. There are wires for miles and everything is a "feature" which means for the owners who choose to keep these vehicles for long periods of time, it's just something else that will break in the long run. I really wish they would have kept it simple. I would still probably buy one but it's not something I think I'd ever fall in love with and try to keep for multiple decades or anything because I just don't see them lasting that long. Maybe they'll prove me wrong.

OK, I'll throw my 2¢ worth in here...and I've got one in the family, and work on it.

I like the JK suspension. It's an improved version of the TJ suspension. I like the flat skids from the factory underneath. Everything from the tires to where the transmission bolts to the engine is pretty much an upgraded late model TJ. The 3.6 V-6 is a running machine.

All of the wiring and all of the computer controls are going to be an issue. I hate wiring and control issues. They suck.

It's wider and taller than a TJ. It's going to cost a grip o' cash to get this pig in shape to be herded down into the same places that the TJ goes easily.

Putting a winch on is a pain in the ass. You can't just put a mount and winch on, you need to replace the whole front bumper.

Reactions: MikeM and Brantley
That rear bumper isn't any treat either.

Oh, and the wife vacuumed dog hair out the interior yesterday. She bitched constantly for over an hour about how the interior had too many nooks and crannies and what a pain in the ass it was. The carpets are much harder to remove as well.

The sound insulation underneath is a whopping pain in the ass. It's fragile and collects trail crap by the pound.

I personally like them. But dislike that it's a glitchy vehicle. Also, very costly. Everything is more expensive and seemingly difficult to work on vs the TJ. But that's partially because I've focused and learned a lot about the TJ and basically neglected the JK. Slowly but surely, I'm learning because a close friend of mine recently bought one. When he comes across any issues or CEL, I research and attempt to help. As well as look for after-market add-ons in btween my TJ binging.

Spreading the 'bug' lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeM and StG58
JK's develop weird problems that are hard to diagnose and correct. Seemingly unrelated issues cause problems in systems that on a TJ you couldn't get to interact if you wanted to.

The thing I hate about the JKs is the front end (stock at least). When I see them coming at me head on, I very much dislike the look of the super wide front fender flares. Something about it just puts me off.

I also dislike how they squared everything off (i.e. windows, door edges, etc.).

Reactions: cory campbell
They're wicked expensive. Brand new vehicles are overpriced. So if you want one, it'll have to be used. The 2007-2011 have the 3.8 engine, and while dependable and reliable, horrible choice for a jeep.
The 2012's had head problems. And the 2013's and up are still expensive.

Reactions: Schwifty Rich
The owners. They are not friendly. I don't think they are real Jeep people. They're not normally adventure seeking outdoor people. They are old ladies and guys who think they are really cool. They are SUV people trying to be unique (nothing wrong with SUV's, they serve a purpose and I have one, but you know what I'm saying)

Not near as reliable as the i6. Harder to work on.

One reason I got my TJ was to teach my kids about how cars work. It's something we can actually do together. Less expensive to mod. Can go more places on our land.

I do think JK's can look pretty cool if the owner knows what he is doing

Last edited:
The price is indeed a killer. I'm sorry, but 40k for a brand new JKU Rubicon is way too much. Obviously people are willing to pay it, but I'm sitting on the sidelines wondering if these people are stupid, or if they just don't mind a $800 a month car payment.

Reactions: Azdude63
The price is indeed a killer. I'm sorry, but 40k for a brand new JKU Rubicon is way too much. Obviously people are willing to pay it, but I'm sitting on the sidelines wondering if these people are stupid, or if they just don't mind a $800 a month car payment.

Chris, I hear you, man. I can't imagine dishing out that much dough a month + the desire to buy more add-ons. Ouch! I'd go used JK, without a doubt. But that too is a tough pill to swallow when dealers want to squeeze every dollar out of you w their BS. For me, after many weeks of visiting, emailing, talking to every Jeep spot within a 1 hour radius to negotiate a reasonable price, I decided the TJ was the only way to go. Even w 15k down and a low interest rate, toss in full coverage then consider the mods, forget it!

Reactions: Chris

The new normal is having 2 $800 a month car payments.

I see so many on the road anymore, even brand new F150's and Silverados. People have to either be leasing, which is a mistake, or they have wicked good jobs.

I hate the price, that's about it they look cool (As long as the owner doesn't make it look absolutely horrible)

The new normal is having 2 $800 a month car payments.

I see so many on the road anymore, even brand new F150's and Silverados. People have to either be leasing, which is a mistake, or they have wicked good jobs.

$800 a month in car payments is absurd. You're right, either they are leasing or they make a crap ton of money. Either way, I think it's ridiculous.

Reactions: FTI76 and StG58
$800 a month in car payments is absurd. You're right, either they are leasing or they make a crap ton of money. Either way, I think it's ridiculous.

JK prices are out of control. My friends wife wanted a 2 door JK. We started looking at 2012+. They hold their value to the point it didn't even make sense to buy used. A new 2 door Willys build came out to 31k and that's with manual transmission. It's really nice but so damn pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JK prices are out of control. My friends wife wanted a 2 door JK. We started looking at 2012+. They hold their value to the point it didn't even make sense to buy used. A new 2 door Willys build came out to 31k and that's with manual transmission. It's really nice but so damn pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, I was looking at the prices for them as well. A used 2012 JKU Rubicon was about 37k. A brand new 2016 JKU Rubicon was about 41k. Why on earth would I not just pay 4k more and get a brand new one with 0 miles? Why would you pay 4k less and get one that is 5 years old, with 80k miles or so on it? Just makes more sense to pay the 4k more if you ask me.