JKU, before and after

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Old wheels and tires...
20170218_134111.jpg

New wheels and tires...
20170506_202024.jpg

I'm in the doghouse though, made a comment about the wheels not being my preferred choice. Ruined the wife's thrill over getting new wheels and tires.

Reactions: FF_Jeep and TJ4Jim
Okay, while those new wheels are not my preferred choice either, they look a million times better than those ugly wheels that came off there, not even a doubt about that!

Huge improvement. Time to do away with those chrome running boards and the chrome gas cap cover. Then you'll be good!

Reactions: StG58
The gas cap is going away...maybe that can be my peace offering for offending the wife. The chrome step is going to be a little more difficult. I think the first time they hang her, then they'll go away.

The tires are 285/75R16 KO2's, and the difference in ride and handling is night and day compared to the ones that were on there. The downside is the tire shop inflated them to 42 psi. I'm dropping that down to 30 give or take once the tire shop gets the TPMS sensors under control. I have a feeling that I'll end up getting a programmer and fixing it myself in the end. Any desire to get a 2012+ JKR is now gone. Anything this picky is NOT an offroad vehicle. Trail Rated badge notwithstanding.

Well hell, even if she just replaced the chrome steps with black ones, that's all it would take. It's just the chrome that looks so out of place on a Jeep.

I'm still so taken back when I see JKs with half doors. I rarely see them, so it's almost like it's not a JK... It's weird! Not in a bad way though, it's almost refreshing.

Reactions: xxdabroxx and StG58
I would like a slider on there. The break over angles on a JKU suck until you get to 35" tires and above, and even then it's not great. Black would be an improvement.

I think it would look better without the running boards at all!

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Much better, picture is blurry but I like the wheels from what I see. The JK series seem to have a lot or rake. I would level her out and surely it would look much better. Not a fan of the chrome but, it is her's so let her do whatever she wants with it.

Huge improvement over the wheels that came on it. Plus it looks more aggressive with the larger KO2's. I agree with @billiebob, most 5 spoke wheels look great on a jeep. Remove the chrome side steps and gas cap and you'll be good to go.

I think it would look better without the running boards at all!
It would look better, but when I broached the subject, there was a lot of push back. She has a different esthetic than I do. For the time being, that chunk of chrome stays put.
Much better, picture is blurry but I like the wheels from what I see. The JK series seem to have a lot or rake. I would level her out and surely it would look much better. Not a fan of the chrome but, it is her's so let her do whatever she wants with it.
The bigger tires really show the rake on that thing. Easy fix though. Spring spacers, bump stops and new shocks in the front will fix that right up.

It is her Jeep, and she gets to make the choices on it. Well, the non-technical ones anyway. There was a lot of butt-hurt around the wheels. She wanted more bling than those. We'll see how long I'm in the doghouse over those. She may get different ones after awhile.
Huge improvement over the wheels that came on it. Plus it looks more aggressive with the larger KO2's. I agree with @billiebob, most 5 spoke wheels look great on a jeep. Remove the chrome side steps and gas cap and you'll be good to go.
The chrome gas cover goes, but for now the step bar stays. It must be a woman thing.

I am amazed at how much room is in those fender wells. With, essentially, 33x11.50 tires on there and dropping the backspace an inch and a half it looks like you could stuff a 35" tire under there and run it on the street. Gobs of room!

You'd need to regear though. The stock gears are OK on the street with 33's. It drives really nice on the bigger tires. It feels really solid on the road. Plenty of brakes still as well.

Last edited:
It would look better, but when I broached the subject, there was a lot of push back. She has a different esthetic than I do. For the time being, that chunk of chrome stays put.

The chrome gas cover goes, but for now the step bar stays. It must be a woman thing.

Girls like pretty and shiny. Let her have her way and she will let you have yours :emoji_thumbsup:

Old wheels and tires...
View attachment 15582
New wheels and tires...
View attachment 15583
I'm in the doghouse though, made a comment about the wheels not being my preferred choice. Ruined the wife's thrill over getting new wheels and tires.

Wow. I have NEVER seen a JK, or a JKU, with half doors before.

I kind of like it, but then again I don't. I can't take my eyes away from it....

Damnit I think I'm starting to like it.

I've seen three JKU's in the area with half doors. Two were absolute rock monsters, and the wife's. When we saw it, and in her favorite color, it followed us home. It's growing on me as well.

Half doors were common 2007 maybe 2008 base model after that it is a factory option you need to request I think.

Here is my wife's JKU playing in the snow during our winter vacation :) It has larger tires on factory wheels. I put wheel spacers because they rubbed when doing u-turns
20161229_152504.jpg

Half doors were common 2007 maybe 2008 base model after that it is a factory option you need to request I think.

Here is my wife's JKU playing in the snow during our winter vacation :) It has larger tires on factory wheels. I put wheel spacers because they rubbed when doing u-turns
View attachment 15678
Nice looking rig! In it's natural habitat too. Backspacing is crucial for fitting tires on a JK/JKU. These things really have thier own build rules. A lot of tech translates from the TJ, but a surprising amount doesn't.