JL and a winch

Tj04

TJ Enthusiast
so with the stop and start thing the JL will have, how will you use a winch? Won't the battery just die from winching? Seems like the single stupidest thing possible for a Jeep. I guess you could throw it in Neutral and give it gas but that seems really dumb.

Am I missing something? seems the JL will be the worst of the wranglers.

I'm not entirely sure, but I would imagine that Jeep will install some sort of override button for that feature or something, incase you're using a winch. I can't believe the engineers would overlook such a critical detail.

The stop-start thing is just stupid though. That doesn't belong anywhere on a Wrangler. They're only doing it to try and improve fuel economy (the EPA is really crazy these days, definitely not as lenient as they were when the TJ was produced), but it's a stupid feature if you ask me.

Actually, I think the computer is smart enough to know when to stop shutting it off. For instance, on our old Highlander Hybrid, the vehicle would only shut off at stop lights when the battery was sufficiently charged. When it wasn't, the engine would not shut off until it was.

So maybe that's how it will be on the new JLs. Either way, I'll pass! More shit to break IMHO.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Maybe the winch option will be a small "clean diesel" engine made by Volkswagen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Now that's funny!

So, the JL shuts off when you stop and starts back up when you go to take off again? That feature better disable when 4x4 is engaged or someone is gonna destroy a new JL first time out. Scenario: you're all twisted up on some rough terrain and stop to give the obstacle another shot. The engine shuts off. Now what? Does the power steering still work? Power brakes? Ouch. I guess we'll all get perfect at picking a line the first time with the JL, unless it does that for us as well.

Last edited:
Now that's funny!

So, the JL shuts off when you stop and starts back up when you go to take off again? That feature better disable when 4x4 is engaged or sooner is gonna destroy a new JL first time out. Scenario: you're all twisted up on some rough terrain and stop to give the obstacle another shot. The engine shuts off. Now what? Does the power steering still work? Power brakes? Ouch. I guess we'll all get perfect at picking a line the first time with the JL, unless it does that for us as well.
You forget that the new JL is soooo good that it will get up on that curb outside JC penny on the first try.. lol

Reactions: StG58
Our Cherokee has that feature, and it has a button to disable it. It also won't work if the engine isn't at operating temp, or if there is a greater than normal electrical draw.

I am pretty sure the engineers thought of all these concerns and implemented some way of disabling it. I mean it is wrangler and it will perform like one.

All this equates too is more electronics and more bullshit to break... At least in my book.

I never understood the start and stop function. It takes more fuel to start a car than it does to idle it, and it cause more wear and tear to start it up again than to idle it. unless im completely missing something, its just a way to get you back in the dealership.

I never understood the start and stop function. It takes more fuel to start a car than it does to idle it, and it cause more wear and tear to start it up again than to idle it. unless im completely missing something, its just a way to get you back in the dealership.

I don't either. In mind mind it seems like it would waste more gas, and be less efficient. Especially when you consider that most stop lights last 30 seconds or so.

I'm obviously missing something.

Reactions: VallenMaes