JLUR owners what are your thoughts so far?

If Toyota would build a removable top 4x4, they wouldn't be able to keep them on the lots, solid axle or not. But they never will.

The 4.0L Toyota engine, both the Tacoma & 4Runner versions, are the best thing they ever did. They've done away with it in the Tacoma, but still using it in the T4R. 4Runner owners are dreading the day it's gone.

My auto 4.0L Tacoma is the best driving vehicle I've ever owned.
My wife has 18 T4R and the 4.0 is good but it feels so sluggish and anemic. i know its the gearing and trans but they could have done better. hopefully they keep the 4.0 and improve all the other junk.

My wife has 18 T4R and the 4.0 is good but it feels so sluggish and anemic. i know its the gearing and trans but they could have done better. hopefully they keep the 4.0 and improve all the other junk.
Thanks for the insight. I had been planning to test drive a T4R, just hadn't gotten around to it. If I do, it would be compared to my 13 Tacoma.

Thanks for the insight. I had been planning to test drive a T4R, just hadn't gotten around to it. If I do, it would be compared to my 13 Tacoma.

Do it!!! Get a peddle commander. Takes the sluggish feel away. It’s the drive by wire they use, causing you to use too much peddle makes it feel anemic.

Photo for inspiration! Have 285’s going on the beadlocks this weekend.

A9174A68-A49B-443D-ADC3-C7988E794826.jpeg

Reactions: Allstar424
My wife picked her rubicon last night, seems to have really loose steering, is this a common problem? , dealer told her thats the way they are, doesnt seem right, other than that she loves it

Did you crack open a brochure before purchasing? The JL/JLU 's steering is going to "feel" much different than a JK or even a TJ for that matter. The JL/JLU uses hydro electric power steering..how much homework did you do on this $50k purchase?

The electric power steering motor works with an adaptive ecu to monitor steering speed, steering wheel angle, and vehicle speed. This allows for variable amounts of steering assistance to be applied when more is needed at low speeds, such as when off road, or less when at highway speeds.

This new steering setup was Jeep again listening to customers and taking their inputs and pushing engineers to build a better Jeep to handle bigger tires and increase off road capabilities. Dont beleive everyone here, the new Jeeps are being built to handle better not just on road better but off road too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Artemis
It is different than my TJ or even my husband's JKU. But it doesn't take long to get used to it. I absolutely love mine and I'm amazed at the difference between the TJ and JL. Glad she is enjoying her Jeep. Just need to get used to it and have fun!

well its been about 2 weeks, lowered tire pressure to 37 lb as was suggested and all that she thought was bad is now good, she is enjoying it now with no complaints

Reactions: Artemis
well its been about 2 weeks, lowered tire pressure to 37 lb as was suggested and all that she thought was bad is now good, she is enjoying it now with no complaints
I keep mine at 36! But yes that the pressure changes everything. I think they shipped from Toledo at 42 o_O

I've put over 10k miles on my 2018 JLUR and I absolutely love it. In its stock form it can keep up with my TJ off road no problem, then get on the interstate and drive 1000 miles at 80mph getting 20mph in comfort. Heated leather seats, satnav, wind noise is minimal. My wife says its been her favorite vehicle of all the ones we have ever owned and I cannot get her to go more than 10 miles in my TJ. now she asks to go offroad.
That last part should get my point across.

If anyone is looking to buy, I purchased from Dennis Dillon in Caldwell Idaho. Nearly 10k off MSRP. They didn't do me any favors, it's just their price.

IMG_1065.jpg

My wife picked her rubicon last night, seems to have really loose steering, is this a common problem? , dealer told her thats the way they are, doesnt seem right, other than that she loves it
There was a huge recall on the steering .

I’d see if it’s been evaluated.

The are extremely nice , I love the hoods.