JLUR owners what are your thoughts so far?

Keep in mind you can get these in some states 8-10% under invoice. Deals to be had for sure. It’s expensive, but if you can afford it, it doesn’t sound like there are many negatives to the new Rubicon.

The thing you have to know about me is that I'm cheap (and you can take that any way you want...). I have yet to spend more than $17K on any vehicle I have ever owned, new or used. That's my frame of reference and I'm too old to want to change. I'll be driving my LJ until I die, then passing it on to my kids in my will, so I don't really have any desire to buy anything else, although I have no quarrel with the JL. Google "stick in the mud", you'll see my picture...

Reactions: indio and UpperMI
I've not been in one yet, but the style is pretty slick with a moderate lift. I totally understand the desire for the creature comforts (though I prefer the more rustic side of that equation, but that's subjective) and (easy to use) added passenger capacity if you have the needs (though it really is just a net of +1).

However, I can't really get over the price. I'm the always buy used type though.

Once summer comes about, my son will be accustomed to climbing my LJR rear tire to get in to his booster seat though, making my life easier than the winter months :D.

I've not been in one yet, but the style is pretty slick with a moderate lift. I totally understand the desire for the creature comforts (though I prefer the more rustic side of that equation, but that's subjective) and (easy to use) added passenger capacity if you have the needs (though it really is just a net of +1).

However, I can't really get over the price. I'm the always buy used type though.

Once summer comes about, my son will be accustomed to climbing my LJR rear tire to get in to his booster seat though, making my life easier than the winter months :D.
I'm definitely a buy used type as well, might pick up a JL in a couple of decades lol.

Reactions: rasband
I would never be without a TJ or LJ for wheeling. I just love this platform. Plain, simple, capable. Easy mods make them beasts. When wheeling, I’m more about capability then creature comforts.

Now with that said, I would absolutely love to own a JLUR. My brother has a fully optioned Sahara and there are a few JLURs in the clubs we wheel with. With a nice 2”, 2.5” lift and 37’s built out as a daily with an over landing theme, just gives me goosebumps.

They are plenty capable too if you’re willing to risk doing some real wheeling with your $50k vehicle...Not sure I would be, lol.

Last June I had the opportunity to lead the crew from Clayton Off Road on a weekend wheeling trip on our property. They brought their brand new JLUR with their prototype lift out for some testing. I have to give them credit. They took it on some tight, greasy stuff that would find most drivers kissing trees and bouncing off of rocks. Now, both Clayton and Adam are pretty skilled drivers so they got off dent free and their JLUR did things that bigger or more trail oriented jeeps had some difficulty with. Yes, it was a combination of driver skill and vehicle modifications, but impressive nonetheless.

If the funds and driveway space were there, I’d definitely have one.

Reactions: rasband and Starrs
I would never be without a TJ or LJ for wheeling. I just love this platform. Plain, simple, capable. Easy mods make them beasts. When wheeling, I’m more about capability then creature comforts.

Now with that said, I would absolutely love to own a JLUR. My brother has a fully optioned Sahara and there are a few JLURs in the clubs we wheel with. With a nice 2”, 2.5” lift and 37’s built out as a daily with an over landing theme, just gives me goosebumps.

They are plenty capable too if you’re willing to risk doing some real wheeling with your $50k vehicle...Not sure I would be, lol.

Last June I had the opportunity to lead the crew from Clayton Off Road on a weekend wheeling trip on our property. They brought their brand new JLUR with their prototype lift out for some testing. I have to give them credit. They took it on some tight, greasy stuff that would find most drivers kissing trees and bouncing off of rocks. Now, both Clayton and Adam are pretty skilled drivers so they got off dent free and their JLUR did things that bigger or more trail oriented jeeps had some difficulty with. Yes, it was a combination of driver skill and vehicle modifications, but impressive nonetheless.

If the funds and driveway space were there, I’d definitely have one.
If anything I'd be more willing to risk some hard wheeling in a JL, regardless of the price - I'm just more attached to my TJ and sentimentally it's worth way more to me.

Talk to Frankie Johnson at Rocket City Offroad in Huntsville Alabama, he has two of them . This guy knows Jeep's , I'm talking sets them up ready for battle. He says it's "The Jeep" for today's lifestyle .

They are extremely nice.

Talk to Frankie Johnson at Rocket City Offroad in Huntsville Alabama, he has two of them . This guy knows Jeep's , I'm talking sets them up ready for battle. He says it's "The Jeep" for today's lifestyle .

They are extremely nice.

I’m sure they’re great, but few things tell a story about a car than time and miles. Given my car “upgrade” cycle, I’ll be excited to see how they stand the test of both.

I only was interested in two doors. Late in summer tested JLs and JKs, i didn’t care for a lot of things on the JL. The price was no factor in it but I went JK. Just felt more sturdy interior and looked more like a classic Jeep without the molded panels, scoops and flimsy plastic handles that crack when you pull hard. Start/ stop engine..the hideous top. Why change it?!

I did like that the JL panels are aluminum and won’t bubble/ rust like my TJs did. But being a first year run, I passed and glad with all the issues. The 2019s are still having tons of problems (electrical) on the forums and Facebook posts. I’d never buy first year run.

Last edited:
I’m sure they’re great, but few things tell a story about a car than time and miles. Given my car “upgrade” cycle, I’ll be excited to see how they stand the test of both.
That is the gospel truth right there.

I've been avoiding going to look at them. I just bought a new truck...and the allure of a daily wrangler calls to me, well, daily. JLU would make a hell of a daily, IMHO

Which truck for you get? What were you upgrading from?

I bought a Colorado ZR2 in October. Went from a 2013 F150 FX4.
It’s a decent package for only 5k; AEVs bison package. It screams for 33s tho. 31s look so goofy on them.

Reactions: Artemis
They been out a year, still don't like the look less like old Wranglers. Was almost going to get a JL or even a Rubicon JL last fall...didn't want a first year. I just hate the molded, SUV' wish look. No more straight panels, doors etc.. and those GC lights on the fenders, looks more like SUVs around. I prefer TJ, JK look by far. The classic Jeep look is gone. And the rear look of the JLs look off. Can't put my finger on it. But that's subjective... the issues still being reported isn't..

I know someone that has a '19 and they having major electronics bugs. and they STILL ain't fixed the steering.
https://www.tflcar.com/2018/12/2019-jeep-wrangler-steering-issues/

I'm in the JK/JL Facebook pages and still so many issues. Same with JK. I remember when TJ's came out in '96, it was same thing. The Rubicon JL model is the only model I'd be into and I'll wait till at least the '20's come out!

My JLUR arrived last Friday 2/23. It took just under six weeks from order to delivery, 10 days of which the plant was shut down for retooling.
So far I love it. No complaints except the driver seat I find to be uncomfortable, but according to a poll on the JL forum I’m in the minority.
Rides and drives awesome. I got 17mpg on my first tank, although I’m driving it like a baby.
Nice weather can’t come soon enough!

Gonna add your own bumpers down the road?
Yeah, I’m definitely regretting not getting the steel bumper group and I’m looking at bumpers now. Aftermarket I'm looking at options from Warn and ARB, but also keeping my eye out for a take-off steel bumper, even though they're not truly winch-ready (I'm actually not winch-ready either).

IMG_1899.JPG

I have been around several of those and they are exceptionally nice... The hood is so cool.

Reactions: KCNoDots