JMT’s 91' XJ Build

JMT

Just another auto…
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
NAXJA forum software is so outdated I pretty much refuse to go through all their loopholes like photobucket to make a build thread. What is there is what is there and I'll just ask questions over there as I move forward. I acquired a 91 XJ, white, 4,0, 5-Speed, Sport, Dana 30/35, 2-Door. I got this rig for free. All I had to do was pay the guy for some tires he put on it back in October, $450. I changed all the fluids; diffs, TCase, Transmission. It needs some love. Spent a lot of time cleaning the interior and it still needs work. Drives smoother than my TJ though. I drove it from TX to WA over the course of 3 days, sleeping in the back at Truck Stops and averaging 650+ miles/day. The rig is for my daughter who is 16 and twin sons who are not far behind. It's nice to have the rig because I have a large family and we can't all go wheel together. So, now with two rigs, we can make that happen. Well, we can make it happen with a little money and time put into the XJ. 😉 On the long drive I found it needed a thermostat, it was running 130* and XJ's are supposed to run 195*, I replaced it along the way and it immediately warmed up to 195*. The rig averaged 20+mp. Amazing to me when I'm seeing 14-15mpg on the TJ on highway. The tailgate hydraulic supports were done, ordered some more and got them on when I got home. When I got the rig home I found lots of bolts rusted and need to be replaced, they are stubborn, had to drill one out, not good, still trying to get that one completely out. Cleaned the exterior up and it really needs some paint. I may do the hood and the roof, the sides still have some clear. 4x4 badge was missing on one side, found one and ordered it, arrived today. Mirrors suck, they have those little adjusting knobs on the inside that don't work, ordered some new mirrors that bypasses that. Missing headliner, I have one on order along with some 3M adhesive. All the exterior trim and bumpers need to be painted.I ordered some Adhesion Promoter and SEM Trim Black. It should be in later this week.The tailpipe was nothing but holes and some remaining tape someone used to hold it together. I took it to Doc's muffler and $80 later a new tailpipe and all is good. Oil leak, hoping it's the CCV and PCV, got one so far, need to do that, but I fear it's the RMS. The gas tank cover was a coffee creamer lid. 🤣 $9 and I was in business. AC/Heat wasn't blowing too good on the long trip, discovered there was a breach in the glove box so I need to patch that to seal up the vent tubes. I went ahead and removed the bumper, grille, headlight trim and prepped for painting. Front bumper is done, it had a dent that I pretty much corrected, will look sooo much better. The suspension is suck, suck, suck, the leaf springs are flat. I'm going to do something. Looking at Procomp 3.5" leaf springs, RE Coils, Rancho 5000X shocks. I might move my ZJ tie rod over to the XJ and go Currie on my steering setup. I can also move my disconnects over and go JKS on my rig. All in all, looking to run 31's on the XJ. Should be a cool rig to get out in.
IMG_5785.jpeg

IMG_5809.jpeg

IMG_5810.jpeg

IMG_5781.jpeg

IMG_5788.jpeg

IMG_5778.jpeg

IMG_5711.jpeg

IMG_5678.jpeg

IMG_5680.jpeg

IMG_5685.jpeg

IMG_5689.jpeg

IMG_5687.jpeg

IMG_5811.jpeg

oh, and the head unit. This thing was in dire need of an upgrade. Got one from @toximus on the way, Kenwood, plus a little something for the TJ from him as well, steering box skid. 😉

Ooooh, a 2-door XJ? Now that’s definitely one of my favorite Jeeps!

NAXJA makes you use photobucket?

Ha... talk about old 🤣

Reactions: JMT
Regarding your oil leak, be sure and check out the oil filter adapter. It's an elbow adapter that routes the filter to run parallel to the block, instead of perpendicular to it. They did this, as there's not enough clearance, otherwise, and the filter would run right into the frame rail. There's a series of O-rings that get brittle, and they leak like crazy. I had to replace the ones on my wife's '96 XJ (also a 2-door). Lots of videos and such on it. You'll need to buy a Torx bit. Can't remember what size, but it's a bigger one than most kits have included. Beyond breaking that bolt loose, it wasn't a bad job at all, and I've not had a leak since.

Congrats on your acquisition!

Reactions: JMT and DrDmoney
Sounds like a fun project. Just make sure you let your kids have some of the fun too!
They’re in on 60% of it. I really want my daughter to be most involved, and she did clean it in and out. She put her license plates on and scuffed up some of the trim. I want her to do more, but she’s so busy with homeschool. Here’s to hoping!!!

Ooooh, a 2-door XJ? Now that’s definitely one of my favorite Jeeps!

NAXJA makes you use photobucket?

Ha... talk about old 🤣
Yeah, I know, right. Photobucket? What is this? 1999

• Haha
Reactions: EJD and Chris
I don’t know if will work on earlier model but probably the biggest thing I did that improved ride comfort, ok and looks, on my 98 was swap in WJ leather seats. I think I might have put write up on NAXJA but that was like 10 yrs ago.

Trying to figure out what suspension to go with that won’t break the bank. OME has the best rep in the XJ world, but the front 2930 gives 2.5” and the rear 033RB is crazy variable, 3.5-5.5”, and I don’t really want more than 3”. If I can figure out the rear I’ll be in business. Just want to run 31’s. Rancho 5000x shocks

I’m spending most of my time and money on the XJ now. When I took the long drive home I noticed I wasn’t getting much heat out of the vents. When I got home I found out why; the floor of the glovebox was broken out. Now I know it was nice and toasty in the glovebox. I fixed it all with some JB Weld for plastics. Now the air is blowing hard!

24CED37E-AE67-417C-A9F3-F2FE95AD7EFC.jpeg

Last edited:
Like many Cherokee’s, the PO added a cargo hitch. What a PITA. This thing was all rusted up, and connected to a unibody, a real bear to remove. I finally had to remove the bumper to get the final bolts off. But now it’s done and all cleaned up!
CC21F46B-4527-4BB9-9411-04900F33FE3F.jpeg

daughter investing in the Jeep. See the stupid cargo hitch?
538FE4CD-A681-44AD-A663-777BBAB84EC4.jpeg

now you don’t.

I’m spending most of my time and money on the XJ now. When I took the long drive home I noticed I wasn’t getting much heat out of the vents. When I got home I found out why; the floor of the glovebox was broken out. Now I know it was nice and toasty in the glovebox. I fixed it all with some JB Weld for plastics. Now the air is blowing hard!

View attachment 148831
Interesting. Does the XJ route the A/C and heat through the glovebox or is here a leak in the system? If it was designed that way it's kind of cool you can keep your drinks in the glovebox in the summer and keep them cool.

It's so cool you have a project to work on with your daughter. I hope to do the same one day.

Interesting. Does the XJ route the A/C and heat through the glovebox or is here a leak in the system? If it was designed that way it's kind of cool you can keep your drinks in the glovebox in the summer and keep them cool.

It's so cool you have a project to work on with your daughter. I hope to do the same one day.
The vent tube shares a wall with the floor of the glovebox, so a hole in one means a hole in the other. I still have another smaller leak in the system, but at least some good air volume is flowing out the vents!

Reactions: Alex01
The leaf springs are shot. I’ve decided to go with the Zone 3” with full leaf pack replacement. It gets good reviews and the shipping is much less than Rusty’s 3”, which is held in high regard for a cheaper lift in the XJ world. OME is considered the best.

9417E34C-E9AD-418F-AD30-A9CFEC07FD01.jpeg

If your only looking for 31's, you might be able to get away with a TJ flare swap and factory suspension. Cherokees have very small wheel wells, which is why people put such big lifts on for relatively small tires sizes.

Buddy of mine did it, and he's got JK Rubicon wheels and tires on his Cherokee with a small budget boost. Looks good.

Just something else to consider

Like many Cherokee’s, the PO added a cargo hitch. What a PITA. This thing was all rusted up, and connected to a unibody, a real bear to remove. I finally had to remove the bumper to get the final bolts off. But now it’s done and all cleaned up!
View attachment 148845
daughter investing in the Jeep. See the stupid cargo hitch?
View attachment 148846
now you don’t.
You didn't want a tow hitch on it incase you wanted to tow something? Small trailer, recovery point, etc.