JMT’s 91' XJ Build

I know that spot. Across deep creak, the hills to the right. Looks like you almost needed your emergency shorts.
My wife did for sure, she freaked out! 🤣Make sure and turn up the volume. She was initially in the rig, she climbed out on my side and immediately started videoing. I think her commentary is self-therapy.

Very happy that you’re doing this build on here, The One True Forum, as every time I get the XJ bug the rabbit hole stops short due to how awful/outdated XJ forums tend to be. I had pretty much the exact same Jeep just with the automatic back when I was in high school. With about 4.5” of lift, 32”s and stock gears it kept me out of trouble!

Reactions: TJ Starting and JMT
Found these today and thought of you. Probably more than you want to spend, but I bet these flares would allow for 33" tires with a 3" lift.

https://notchcustoms.com/
Geez, those are so nice. The MJ set fits the 2-Door XJ. I think you’re right, with 3” lift I could easily fit 33’s. Then I would really have to re-gear. 🤣

Some good news in all this is that my wife said I should move my DC-2’s over to the XJ and get new wheels for mine. I did notice on the Notch Customs site an XJ and an MJ with the DC-2 wheels, and they looked pretty good. I might repaint mine all black though for the white XJ. I just like all black wheels on a white canvas. Thanks so much for the heads up. That is definitely a good find. Very nice.

This XJ has no headliner. It was the first thing my daughter noticed and said she wanted fixed. So we researched, got the headliner, 3M headliner adhesive, and went to work. These can be a pain.

you’ve got to pull the headliner, then clean all the old residue off.
353F07B5-CFEE-47A8-827C-7D3BD132D336.jpeg

Then you can spray lots of adhesive on both surfaces.

It turned out nice.
E374E414-FD7A-44FC-AF90-C3374DC7C8EE.jpeg

This XJ has no headliner. It was the first thing my daughter noticed and said she wanted fixed. So we researched, got the headliner, 3M headliner adhesive, and went to work. These can be a pain.

View attachment 151752

It turned out nice.
View attachment 151753
Looks great. You two may have a new side hussle.

• Love
Reactions: JMT
That looks great!

Is the old adhesive the orange looking stuff?
No, the brown is the old adhesive and inner layer of the previous headliner cloth.

The orange is actually a fiberglass insulation. I had never pulled one of these before. If you ever do, be sure and clean it well, use plenty of the best adhesive on both sides. Use even pressure to press it on. Do not pull the fabric, just make it fit as best you can. Cut all your holes after it’s dried. It’s a bit of a pain getting it all back together. Worth it.

This looks awesome, I'm selfishly hoping for a good deal on one during this shutdown since I am looking for a 4door to cart kids around town - planning to keep it stock if I find one.

Love following what you are doing with your kids!

No, the brown is the old adhesive and inner layer of the previous headliner cloth.

The orange is actually a fiberglass insulation. I had never pulled one of these before. If you ever do, be sure and clean it well, use plenty of the best adhesive on both sides. Use even pressure to press it on. Do not pull the fabric, just make it fit as best you can. Cut all your holes after it’s dried. It’s a bit of a pain getting it all back together. Worth it.

Ah, I see. It turned out great.

If you had to guess, how much time did you spend just cleaning the old adhesive/inner layer of headliner off? I imagine a while. That's a big head liner.

Reactions: JMT and rasband
Ah, I see. It turned out great.

If you had to guess, how much time did you spend just cleaning the old adhesive/inner layer of headliner off? I imagine a while. That's a big head liner.
About 40 minutes with help from my daughter. If you can get a corner started and peel it in strips it comes off pretty easy. After that, use a steel brush to work the tougher areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: MountaineerTom

View attachment 151752

It turned out nice.
View attachment 151753
Hey that came out great. It's alot of work but definitely worth it.

Today I removed the door panels and mirrors to replace with new, stable mirrors. While I was in the door I replaced the 29 year old factory speakers with Polk DB 5.25”’s. Sounds so much better. Next weekend will be the head unit I got from @tworley.

check out this stock cone! 🤣🤣🤣
69C4D7EB-0642-456D-AC8E-9D8FDA8AD64A.jpeg

The new Polk’s
8B9F7B55-2F8F-44F9-9BE9-D1AA4FBA42E2.jpeg

Son doing the work! Likes the new sound.
EF9E71E7-A3B1-4C12-A440-AC3EB7B227D6.jpeg

New mirror painted with SEM Trim Black is so much better than stock!
CE1EEE46-65CC-42AD-980B-852B2BD6ED87.jpeg

Very happy that you’re doing this build on here, The One True Forum, as every time I get the XJ bug the rabbit hole stops short due to how awful/outdated XJ forums tend to be. I had pretty much the exact same Jeep just with the automatic back when I was in high school. With about 4.5” of lift, 32”s and stock gears it kept me out of trouble!
So true about this forum, a great group of enthusiasts. Everyone helpful and cool!

This looks awesome, I'm selfishly hoping for a good deal on one during this shutdown since I am looking for a 4door to cart kids around town - planning to keep it stock if I find one.

Love following what you are doing with your kids!
I was thinking if keeping it stock, but the suspension is shot (leafs and springs), so why not give it a little boost! I may regret some of this when I get into it and find a bunch of frozen up rusted bolts.