JMT’s 91' XJ Build

Toximus did lol.
🤣. You have to keep me straight here on my own build! How embarrassing.

P.s. I am thinking about those Pintlers. I read your FS post and wonder if I could find a shop that would repair two of them so I have a set of five. Also reticent that they would hold up with various reports. I agree that they would look fantastic in the Argent, and I have looked for them at times on local CL (never found any). They are 17's I assume. I think my 15" disc brakes would work with them, not 100% sure though.

🤣. You have to keep me straight here on my own build! How embarrassing.

P.s. I am thinking about those Pintlers. I read your FS post and wonder if I could find a shop that would repair two of them so I have a set of five. Also reticent that they would hold up with various reports. I agree that they would look fantastic in the Argent, and I have looked for them at times on local CL (never found any). They are 17's I assume. I think my 15" disc brakes would work with them, not 100% sure though.
Yes they are 17's with JK bolt pattern. 15" disks should work; I had a 16" BMB BBK with them on. The issues with them holding up were the reason I went a different direction rather than risking one of the good ones cracking. It sucks cause they look bad ass in Argent. One of my favorite looks. They can be repaired as it is a hairline crack an inch or so long.

Edit: it would get welded then you get ut refinished.

Reactions: JMT
So true about this forum, a great group of enthusiasts. Everyone helpful and cool!

You got that right! I've tried several times to get excited about the XJ forums, MJ too, and can't. The formats are old but it's more than just that. There a lot of good guys and some great info (cruiser54 !) but this forum is miles ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
I’ve been quiet with the XJ build, but now that I’m past the critical stages of the TT on the TJ, I’m slowly getting back into the XJ. Finished the rear bumper brackets and bumper.
3F8EC5EF-B926-4399-ABE2-1CFC087F84CB.jpeg
BA18C5AE-467C-43A2-8EDD-1D50B4FDD19C.jpeg

You're going to be a Jeep master tech soon with all the work you've been doing lately. I would have never guessed you just started working on cars a few years ago. Keep up the good work.

I lost track of the other thread. Is the YJ running?

Reactions: Squatch
You're going to be a Jeep master tech soon with all the work you've been doing lately. I would have never guessed you just started working on cars a few years ago. Keep up the good work.

I lost track of the other thread. Is the YJ running?
It's running, but it stumbles under load. I replaced the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, and coil. It needed all that, but the main problem was the coil. The owner told me he thought the gas was stolen and someone put water in the tank. Now I'm going to have to drain the tank, add some alcohol to evaporate the water. Then fresh fuel and see where I am. Thanks for asking!

Reactions: Squatch and Alex01
life picking back up with the XJ. Today I worked on all the exterior accessories. They are all faded and look like crap.

Scuffed with scotch brute pads, cleaned w alcohol, sprayed with adhesion promoter, and top coated with SEM trim black. Looks a lot better. Still a long way to go, but it drives well. Big plans the next couple of weeks.

cool side note. A new guy moved in next door. He has a ‘93xj with a 4.5” lift and 33’s. He knows how to weld. I think I’ll have him weld up some Currie mini skids for my TJ.
59CB020B-225B-43A8-9F14-1F8EF4ADB6D0.jpeg
6645F065-DD29-4E78-B0CB-A54051933DD9.jpeg
906AE429-0030-48D0-A439-B50ADBCE6B37.jpeg
EE2D7B0D-91EC-44A1-A2D7-3131A045EAF2.jpeg

Just put an order in for the 3" Zone Suspension lift (coils and brand new leaf springs), some new jounces which were rotted out, rear bump stops which are non-existent, Rancho 5000X 55239 and 55245, driver and passenger door seal kit, which was very difficult to find as the Sport 2 Door version doors are different from the 4-door XJ's and MJ's. Some Kroil is also on the way as these bolts are rusty underneath. I'm sure I'll have to replace all the bolts. I'll be running 31's eventually.

Just put an order in for the 3" Zone Suspension lift (coils and brand new leaf springs), some new jounces which were rotted out, rear bump stops which are non-existent, Rancho 5000X 55239 and 55245, driver and passenger door seal kit, which was very difficult to find as the Sport 2 Door version doors are different from the 4-door XJ's and MJ's. Some Kroil is also on the way as these bolts are rusty underneath. I'm sure I'll have to replace all the bolts. I'll be running 31's eventually.
Where did you come up with the door seals? I might want to get a set while they're still available. (y)

I’m a little concerned that the rear will get too much lift because the Sport XJ is lighter than the 4-Door, but I’ll just remove a leaf to adjust. Doing a leaf lift in the rear will be a new experience for me.

For fun I put my 33 spare up beside the XJ just to see what I’d be looking at. There’s nothing that changes the look of a vehicle like wheels and tires.

6486FAC2-0270-4294-BB59-EA2C27DBA2D6.jpeg

Thank you, brother!

x's 2!

JMT - Looking back at your posts, I like how you did your headliner. I did mine a few weeks ago and like you went with an original look light grey. As others commented, the wild patterns some XJ owners go with look a bit ridiculous.

Reactions: Squatch
x's 2!

JMT - Looking back at your posts, I like how you did your headliner. I did mine a few weeks ago and like you went with an original look light grey. As others commented, the wild patterns some XJ owners go with look a bit ridiculous.
Thanks. I was wondering today who I might ask questions, as I was wandering around wrenching on this thing. I was like, hmmm...I think PCO6 has one among many. Good to see that confirmed.

The front sway bar was totally rusted, maybe 1-2mm thick. I was shocked I could get the bolts out without breaking one. Took me an hour to get all the rust off; then clean, self etch, and topcoat. Looks new, but the bushings are toast.More things to source. I’ll have $2K into this soon, but since I got the XJ for free, I guess it’s a good deal!

Reactions: Alex01
Thanks. I was wondering today who I might ask questions, as I was wandering around wrenching on this thing. I was like, hmmm...I think PCO6 has one among many. Good to see that confirmed.

The front sway bar was totally rusted, maybe 1-2mm thick. I was shocked I could get the bolts out without breaking one. Took me an hour to get all the rust off; then clean, self etch, and topcoat. Looks new, but the bushings are toast.More things to source. I’ll have $2K into this soon, but since I got the XJ for free, I guess it’s a good deal!

That's a LOT of XJ for not a lot of money! XJ prices seem to be all over the map but many agree that the good ones are definitely going up in prices. The best deals seem to be for ones that have been in the family for years, have been used as a second or third vehicle and have been well maintained. To the people I bought mine from it was just a "car".