Johnep93's 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Johnep93

I bought this lil peach back in May. 4.0, 5 speed, Dana 30/Dana 44. I've only had it offroad once so far, and was super blown away by how capable it is with just a budget lift. Joined up to get advice on how to build it for what I want to do.

20180630_153922.jpg

20181026_174409.jpg

20180825_151244.jpg

20181019_164157.jpg

It has a 2" budget lift the po installed. The Dana 44 rear is a factory option on at least sport models and only came with 3.73 gears. I actually found the window sticker in the glove box after I bought it. Only option missing that I really wanted was rear disc brakes.

Built for overlanding and fun you say? It's been a bucket list item of mine to drive the AlCan highway, and figure the jeep is perfect for that. And if I'm driving from Alabama to Alaska I might as well meander my way around the west before returning. So I want somewhat of an overlanding rig that'll be nice to drive on the highway.

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
Great looking TJ. What size lift/tires are you planning to go with?

Reactions: Johnep93
Great looking TJ. What size lift/tires are you planning to go with?

I honestly haven't quite figured that out. I want it to be pretty competant in the rocks, but also decently nice to drive long distances I'm thinking 33" tires would be a pretty good setup, but not 100% sure

Reactions: JMT
@JMT I really don't like the looks of body lifts. I like form and function, and body lifts detract too much from the form for me. I'm a little OCD, so I will notice it.

You won't notice 1/2" body lift, that I can guarantee you, haha.

I had one before going to my 1.25" body lift and honest to goodness you can't even tell it's there. Yet it's still enough to tuck the transfer case with the Rokmen skid!

@Chris I may notice it, but one of my mentors charges 10k to paint wee lil beetles, of course you can use them as a mirror afterwards, lol. So my eye for detail has been honed to a mean edge. I may consider a 0.5" body lift if it's that insubstantial. My rear bumper uses the upper holes for the stock tire carrier for a stop for the bumper mounted tire carrier how bad would the BL affect that?

@Chris I may notice it, but one of my mentors charges 10k to paint wee lil beetles, of course you can use them as a mirror afterwards, lol. So my eye for detail has been honed to a mean edge. I may consider a 0.5" body lift if it's that insubstantial. My rear bumper uses the upper holes for the stock tire carrier for a stop for the bumper mounted tire carrier how bad would the BL affect that?

It wouldn't affect that at all. I can tell you that the 1/2" body lift wasn't even noticeable, and I'm one of those people who really hates the look of a body lift as well (though I eventually had to move to 1.25" for function over form). It's just a possibility if you ever want to explore it!

@Chris I'm still reading through the build of your current TJ did you have to go to the 1.25 on it, or was that a previous jeep?

I had to go 1.25" on it only to get more clearance for the tires. But before that (and before I went to 35s) I had the 1/2" body lift and it worked great! The photos on the first page of my build show it with the 1/2" body lift.

@Chris I'm new to wheeling, I've been running with the pan dragging volksie crowd for a while, and am trying to figure out the needs and wants, I know I really want to run the Rubicon trail, I mean I've got a friend that lives in the Lake Tahoe area, so itd be super easy for me to arrange to run it. Are 33" tires enough?

@Chris I'm new to wheeling, I've been running with the pan dragging volksie crowd for a while, and am trying to figure out the needs and wants, I know I really want to run the Rubicon trail, I mean I've got a friend that lives in the Lake Tahoe area, so itd be super easy for me to arrange to run it. Are 33" tires enough?

33" tires are plenty! My build thread is an example of what to do if you just can't control your spending habits! I started out very mild, but I got bitten by the bug... hard.

A good setup would be 33s and a tucked transfer case. That would allow you to do all but the most extremely difficult trails, which even then would be possible, you'd just have to be a really good driver!

@JMT I really don't like the looks of body lifts. I like form and function, and body lifts detract too much from the form for me. I'm a little OCD, so I will notice it.
Then just run a 4” suspension lift. Then you won’t need a body lift. You’d have a lot of other things to do. You’d need an SYE and DC to avoid driveline vibes. Adjustable track bars. Extended sway bar links. Extended break lines. Adjustable control arms all around. Etc... certainly something to be done, much in the line that Chris followedbut without the body lift

@Chris how much lift do you recommend for 33s? I've seen you give high remarks to the Currie short arm in other threads. What are your thoughts on manual locking hubs for the front axle to eliminate the unit bearings? Is it just marketing, or is there some real world advantage to having traditional wheel bearings?