Johnny Joint grease—an experiment

I serviced the joints on one arm a couple of weeks agop. I am woaiting till after a wheeling trip next week to do the others. I went and chcked for the line on the balls of the one arm I serviced. Both ends are wrong. :)

Mr. Blaine and others, it seems to me like a liquid lubricant applied on a regular basis might substitute for grease done annually. Whay say you brainy guys?

Here is the line:

IMG_4815-X3.jpg

I serviced the joints on one arm a couple of weeks agop. I am woaiting till after a wheeling trip next week to do the others. I went and chcked for the line on the balls of the one arm I serviced. Both ends are wrong. :)

Mr. Blaine and others, it seems to me like a liquid lubricant applied on a regular basis might substitute for grease done annually. Whay say you brainy guys?

Here is the line:

View attachment 279485
The issue is two fold. The races are compressed a bunch to keep the ball from doing anything except what it is supposed to. The vast majority of us don't have an issue with lube life. The problem is wheeling in clay sucks the oil out of the base used to turn it into a grease which leaves the base behind. (anecdotal speculation) If you used just the oil, the clay will dry that out as well. We are trying to find a grease that is immune to separation.

Not that I expect you to miss it but a lot of folks do. There is a long side and a short side to the ball. Done that way to have the same amount of bolt sleeve sticking out past the joint body.
You have set your expectations of me far too high. I did notice the ring, but it didn't occur to me that they would be offset in any way.

Seems that a bench top experiment exposing various types of grease to your local clay would be more efficient than repeated trial and error where each experiment requires wheeling, disassembly, and reassembly ...
So...Go ahead and do it. This is the method I'm choosing

Seems that a bench top experiment exposing various types of grease to your local clay would be more efficient than repeated trial and error where each experiment requires wheeling, disassembly, and reassembly ...

I'm putting Super Lube silicon grease with PTFE this week and will be trail testing it at Windrock. No point in greasing with something I know doesn't last.

I am curious if anyone else is getting deposits on the ball and bushing? I have not found a good way to to remove deposits that moly grease leaves behind.

I'm putting Super Lube silicon grease with PTFE this week and will be trail testing it at Windrock. No point in greasing with something I know doesn't last.
Interested in the result since I haven't found anything else that stuff is good for.
I am curious if anyone else is getting deposits on the ball and bushing? I have not found a good way to to remove deposits that moly grease leaves behind.
??

Deposits? Like something that is hard like rust, but isn't? Did that ring on my center ball come through in the picture? Yeah, I get that. It's the leftover stuff from the grease, after the oil has left the building, or so I assume.

Post your results of the super lube. I thought about that one too.

The balls of my JJ had black gunk on them. Also, the ball was rougher than I expected it to be. Someone (Mr. Blaine) wrote earlier that the balls are case hardened. That made me reluctant to attempt to smooth the surface of the ball.

The balls of my JJ had black gunk on them. Also, the ball was rougher than I expected it to be. Someone (Mr. Blaine) wrote earlier that the balls are case hardened. That made me reluctant to attempt to smooth the surface of the ball.
They are case hardened and they are not smooth as in polished smooth.

Reactions: andy29847
I wire wheel the guck off the balls. No harm, no foul.

What about a marine type grease? Something meant to protect against water intrusion in a marine/saltwater environment. I used a pretty good lucas grease on outboard steering and trim systems.
We aren't trying to keep water out, we are trying to keep the oil in the grease base. If the oil leaking out of my grease gun with marine grease is any indicator, it doesn't stay mixed with the base any better than non marine grease.