Johnny Joint Maintenance

Stupid fucks like you piss me off beyond sensible limits. You are putting questions in there that were not ever there.

I explained. John invented the JJ. Then when its success was noted, others started knocking it off with cheaper versions. In order to compete against bullshit copies that are not as good, not the same and whole only value is a lower price point, John deleted the greaseable bolts as standard in order to reduce the selling price. In self defense, they added a grease fitting because the omission of same would cause far more bullshit than one that isn't exactly as useful as it should be. Like it or not, believe it or not, that is the way it happened and your insistence on being a little shit won't change that.
Ohh you cranky old bitch, that time of the month for you huh? Go take another sniff of that magic brake dust of yours and take a chill.

At the risk of being ridiculed....A johnny Joint will accept grease from a grease gun. What the JJ is missing is a place for the old grease to go (think u-joint). Lucky me, my control arms have zerks on both the JJ housing and the bolt. I removed the zerk from the bolt and was able to pump grease through the joint with little effort. Only thing is, I used the grease that was already in my grease gun. Now I need to get some of that super duper stuff and do it again. Note at the end of my little film clip, I make a cameo appearence. The look on my face is one of amazement. It is not just a run of the mill dumb look.

So the JJ use to come with the greaseable bolt but no zerk in the housing. So would the greaseable bolt be able to grease the joint as was asked earlier in the thread?

So the JJ use to come with the greaseable bolt but no zerk in the housing. So would the greaseable bolt be able to grease the joint as was asked earlier in the thread?
The updated version that does not come with greaseeable bolt does not have a hole in the ball and this will not work.

Reactions: Wildman
The eurphoria of my discovery was short lived. I was able to grease the frame side of the 2 front lower control arms. When I went to grease the axle side, I found that there was no zerk on the JJ, just on the bolt. Fuck a bunch of engineering and marketing weenies. They should pay for the maintenance tools. :)

Reactions: Farmergreg
I know the tools are expensive, but considering all my suspension is all johnny joints except the front track bar's axle side, they might be a worthwhile investment. They were creaking within several months of install, although I didn't add any grease to them before installing.
Mine were creaking surprisingly early too, however hearing other member's accounts of not servicing them for years it seems likely that they just weren't greased well from production. Now I always recommend folks grease them right away since it's a little bit time consuming pulling an arm at a time. Time will tell when I need to service them again and if that advice is worthwhile.

I have 20 JJs on my rig, so it was easy to stomach buying the tool and they get extra use when local guys borrow them to get stuff done.

The updated version that does not come with greaseeable bolt does not have a hole in the ball and this will not work.

Didn't realize that the ball on the new joints weren't drilled. Was looking at the RJ web site yesterday and the balls in the parts area were drilled.

I'll disassemble them and grease them before I bolt everything together for the final time.

Didn't realize that the ball on the new joints weren't drilled. Was looking at the RJ web site yesterday and the balls in the parts area were drilled.

I'll disassemble them and grease them before I bolt everything together for the final time.
RJ sells them both ways. Drilled and undrilled.

Reactions: Wildman
Does anybody have any video of the tool in use? I just had RockJock JJs put in and honestly don't even know if I need both the 2" and the 2.5" tool. If I can just make my own I'd be a happy camper.

Does anybody have any video of the tool in use? I just had RockJock JJs put in and honestly don't even know if I need both the 2" and the 2.5" tool. If I can just make my own I'd be a happy camper.
You can just make your own, it's pretty much just some all thread (or a long bolt), a cup that the housing can rest against, and a socket that is big enough to go around the bolt hole and rest on the washer on the snapring side. It will be missing some of the things that help, but they are just niceties and not required.

Reactions: ejay
In all honesty, hearing stories of folks needing to lube the joint a few months after install is a little discouraging. I purchased the appropriate Redline synthetic lube. I'm happy that it will be a forever rebuildable control arm. But I really really hate to remove those upper rear control arms completely so full removal to lube is a depressing thought especially if I've got to do it soon after install. Oh well. No going back now.

In all honesty, hearing stories of folks needing to lube the joint a few months after install is a little discouraging. I purchased the appropriate Redline synthetic lube. I'm happy that it will be a forever rebuildable control arm. But I really really hate to remove those upper rear control arms completely so full removal to lube is a depressing thought especially if I've got to do it soon after install. Oh well. No going back now.
It's the price you pay to play. From the sounds of it you won't need to do it that frequently. As Blaine said 5 years for him.

Reactions: ejay