Johnny Joint Maintenance

I don't think that a JJ needs much maintenance. The fact that grease under pressure can't get out of the joint leads me to believe that whatever grease that is in the joint when it is assembled stays there. This same seal will prevent water and mud from getting into the joint when you wheel. I'm guessing that the issue is that there isn't much grease in the joint to start with. The Currie movie seems to prove this point. I guess that the Johnny Joint was developed for competition, and that regular maintenace that included disassembly using special tools is not a game changer for competive racers. In my case, I was hoping that once I put my control arms on, I wouldn't have to take them off again. Being able to add grease to a part while it is still on the vehicle would make my expectations reasonable. The blocking issue is that there is nowhere for the old grease to go when you try to pump in the new grease. Either you can't get the grease in or you blow the joint. Damn, life is hard.

Reactions: reddvltj
I don’t think I would bother, they’re easy enough to service and the pressure your grease gun may get to is pretty high so there’s a small margin of error.
So it's actually pretty easy to blow it out?
The ones that did take grease didn't require a lot of pressure but the others were immovable.

I'm tempted to keep just trying each one every time I crawl under but not going to do that if I'm going to blow them up

The ones that did take grease didn't require a lot of pressure but the others were immovable.

I'm tempted to keep just trying each one every time I crawl under but not going to do that if I'm going to blow them up
It's just about the pressure that is easy to build with a grease gun, but I think that's mostly an issue with people that may not be paying attention. If you're a few pumps in and not seeing any grease leave the joint - you know whats going on!

Probably not a good idea.
20160629_164639.jpg
20160705_101448.jpg

the socket is so tight that all it needs is a dab to be pushed every so often.. the socket material is dense and smooth the balls gonna move even dry, but then you get the squeeks.

but if your in a moist environment its gonna drag in moisture and dirt long with it then the moisture will dry and the dirt stays, then repeat 45x. this is where a lot of us fall in to the maintenance category.

Reactions: Tob
This worries me. My mechanic shot the zerks with grease. It blew out the sides. I'm thinking that there's no way to tell if it damaged anything unless I tear it apart.
If only grease came out just wipe it off and call it a day. If a poly race was extruded out from the pressure that will be obvious after wiping any excess grease away…

Reactions: ejay and jjvw
I admit it. I am enjoying keeping this thread alive. I am an attention whore in an old man's body. Today the story is that the UPS man brought my JJ tools. Wooo-weee! I might be a mechanic one day. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to getting sweaty and greasy working on my TJ this weekend. I have low expectations too. I expect I will find my JJs are in great shape and didn't need maintenance. They will probably still squeak after I finish too. Durn! Anyway, here is the $221 tools that none of my kids will recognize as valuable when they go through my stuff in a few years.

IMG_4700-X3.jpg

These tools won't be the only ones that will go in the unknown bin. I am a life time motorcyclist, and I have all kinds of MC tools that will probably not be thought of as valuable either. Which leads me to a confession and a story if you have the time.

I tend to get in a rush when I am on a project. If the project runs long, my stuff gets laid out in a variety of places, and that often causes me to make bad decisions when I can't find something. For instance, one time I needed a wrench. A quick search did not turn up the wrench I was looking for, so I grabbed the vice grips. If you have ever used vice grips, at least the old style ones from Craftsman, then you know they can bite. Mine drew blood. Here is my story:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/fucking-vice-grips.1004095/

I admit it. I am enjoying keeping this thread alive. I am an attention whore in an old man's body. Today the story is that the UPS man brought my JJ tools. Wooo-weee! I might be a mechanic one day. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to getting sweaty and greasy working on my TJ this weekend. I have low expectations too. I expect I will find my JJs are in great shape and didn't need maintenance. They will probably still squeak after I finish too. Durn! Anyway, here is the $221 tools that none of my kids will recognize as valuable when they go through my stuff in a few years.

View attachment 276130

These tools won't be the only ones that will go in the unknown bin. I am a life time motorcyclist, and I have all kinds of MC tools that will probably not be thought of as valuable either. Which leads me to a confession and a story if you have the time.

I tend to get in a rush when I am on a project. If the project runs long, my stuff gets laid out in a variety of places, and that often causes me to make bad decisions when I can't find something. For instance, one time I needed a wrench. A quick search did not turn up the wrench I was looking for, so I grabbed the vice grips. If you have ever used vice grips, at least the old style ones from Craftsman, then you know they can bite. Mine drew blood. Here is my story:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/fucking-vice-grips.1004095/
You should see some of the stuff I inherited from my grandfather. He was a field engineer by trade but ran an appliance and VW repair business on the side. Some of the tools he made by hand were mind boggling.