Johnny Joints in wet muddy areas?

Crasse

Hey guys I just have a quick question about the Johnny Joint design. I recently installed all 8 Johnny Joint control arms on my 06 Wrangler. I live in a real wet and muddy place. Even while I am just driving down the road and using it as my daily driver I will run over puddles and even mud at times. So my question is should I be greasing the joints more often than every oil change? Or would every oil change still be an ok timeline to add grease?

I would take them apart once every year for grease. The zerks will not do anything besides potentially damage the joint. Do not use the zerks. They need to be taken apart to be greased.

I would take them apart once every year for grease. The zerks will not do anything besides potentially damage the joint. Do not use the zerks. They need to be taken apart to be greased.
I don't think you are thinking right. They put the zerk so you don't take it apart just for lube.

I don't think you are thinking right. They put the zero so you don't take it apart just for lube.

You haven’t tried to lube a Johnny joint then. They will typically not take grease through the zerk. They should be taken apart to be greased. You can actually damage the joint by forcing grease into the zerk.

I should also mention that other aftermarket joints require the same amount of maintenance. You can see in the description of this metalcloak video that they recommend disassembly and grease once a year (though they have another conflicting video elsewhere). In wet and muddy areas, taking the JJ’s apart for grease once a year should be sufficient in my opinion. If you live somewhere drier or your Jeep doesn’t see many miles, you could probably get away with every 2 or even 3 years. My joints are coming apart soon after a year and a half. They have seen about 6,000 miles, some mud, and a trail or two of rocks. I’m in no rush to get them apart for now.

8C7210E0-8580-4794-A8B0-AD8206362D27.jpeg