Jounce bumper not compressing

06lj

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I've been working on my suspension and noticed that my jounce bumper does not compress. As pictured the full weight of the front of the Jeep is resting on the jounce bumper. As I jacked up the front axle the frame was lifting off the jacks stands. I believe the bumper was a Crown replacement. The only marking on it is BASF. Does anybody have a part number for a softer one or should I just remove it all together?
20200121_125957.jpg

How much are they supposed to compress? Isn’t it’s job supposed to be to stop the uptravel? Just soft enough to soften the impact but firm enough to hold up to the pressure of flexing? They look fine to me.

Their job is to soften impacts but I didn't believe they were to act as a bump stop. I have always been under the impression they they would compress into the cup. I just finished setting my bump stops with the jounce bumper removed as is recommended. If it does not compress this would reduce my uptravel by 1 1/2 inches.

Reactions: jazngab
Their job is to soften impacts but I didn't believe they were to act as a bump stop. I have always been under the impression they they would compress into the cup. I just finished setting my bump stops with the jounce bumper removed as is recommended. If it does not compress this would reduce my uptravel by 1 1/2 inches.
My bump stops are Daystar extended stops that I cut down. They’re harder than those yellow jounce bumpstops but I like to leave my stops a little long to ensure my tires stay out of my fenders.

Full stuff. I'm sure they would compress a bit more if it was a hard stuff. This is a forklift flex.
20180115_123353.jpg

Perhaps new ones need to be softened up a bit. Go out and hit some dips and bumps with some speed. They can and will compress all the way into the cup when set up correctly. Mine will compress all the way with a forklift. This is why we always say to remove the jounces when cycling the axles.

Reactions: papasjeep
Well... it seems I have achieved in proving myself an idiot. If you will look closely as my original attached picture you will notice I did not install my bumpstop and that my shock is still in place. It is best not to work on a Jeep after a long week of overtime.🤪
All is good now.
20200121_140109.jpg

I was a little confused initially since there was no bumpstop extensions installed.