JP's Week to Wheelin Dec 10-14

Yeah, that was cringe-worthy. When I was a machinist, I was taught to oil the tap, then by hand, turn - back off to break the chip - turn - back off, etc. For a long thread, remove the tap when it is filled with chips, blow out the hole and tap, and repeat. But I didn't have to rebuild a Jeep in a week........ :)
Use a 2 flute high chip clearance tap. ;)

Why is it not the right way to use a tap? If you have a moderate amount of skill with a good drill driver, you have a very good increase in the chances of getting the tap started straight, you are only limited by your drills power level as to what and how deep you can tap and it is certainly a whole bunch faster. If you are worried, get a set of tap sockets so you and pull off and stop the tap from being turned if you feel like you are getting in trouble. I've been tapping with a drill forever and it is fast, clean, accurate, and did I mention it was fast? Not to mention, taps are used with power tapping heads all the time so I'm not quite sure what the hang-up is?

Using power tools to run a tap in by hand works, but doesn't make it the correct way. I was a union machinist who apprenticed in the trade, and was just commenting based on what I was taught by journeymen in the field. We all take shortcuts in our everyday work - I change home light switches without cutting the power for instance - but I would never tell someone that's the right way to do it because I've done it that way for years and it's faster. Factories that run taps with power tools do so in machines that solidly fix the tap and work to guarantee alignment, not guys with handheld drills. They also have flowing lubricant to remove chips.

Using power tools to run a tap in by hand works, but doesn't make it the correct way. I was a union machinist who apprenticed in the trade, and was just commenting based on what I was taught by journeymen in the field. We all take shortcuts in our everyday work - I change home light switches without cutting the power for instance - but I would never tell someone that's the right way to do it because I've done it that way for years and it's faster. Factories that run taps with power tools do so in machines that solidly fix the tap and work to guarantee alignment, not guys with handheld drills. They also have flowing lubricant to remove chips.
I guarantee you that even an amateur can start a tap straighter with a drill than they can by hand. Far easier and it if works and works well, is it really wrong?

Why is it not the right way to use a tap? If you have a moderate amount of skill with a good drill driver, you have a very good increase in the chances of getting the tap started straight, you are only limited by your drill's power level as to what and how deep you can tap and it is certainly a whole bunch faster. If you are worried, get a set of tap sockets so you and pull off and stop the tap from being turned if you feel like you are getting in trouble. I've been tapping with a drill forever and it is fast, clean, accurate, and did I mention it was fast? Not to mention, taps are used with power tapping heads all the time so I'm not quite sure what the hang-up is?

Thanks for your input. Obviously me and rubiconmike just tap by hand.

I know machine shops tap with power. Are they usually “freehanding” it? I’m no machinist but interested.

No one said they were worried about tapping here. But mrplaine, If you watched the video, did you notice what type of tap he was using? Do they make different taps for power and taps to hand use? Just curious.

As usual, your personal experience is more valid than actual professional training in a skilled area. thanks for the insight.
Not always, but in this case, sure. It is pretty much like the difference between the pad and rotor swap that Jeep owners do instead of an actual brake job someone like me does.

Yep, it's like everything else we do, there are professional correct ways to do things in other environments like cutting steel. Pros, commercial, and manufacturing use water jet, laser, shear, high definition plasma, lathes, mills and saws all oriented around that environment. Are we wrong because we have to use grinders with cut-off discs, torches, hand held plasmas, abrasive and cold saws? Nope, it is just a different way of accomplishing the same task on a different scale. Just because there is a way to do something deemed correct by a specific group of folks does not make another equally effective method incorrect, it just makes it different.

Yep, it's like everything else we do, there are professional correct ways to do things in other environments like cutting steel. Pros, commercial, and manufacturing use water jet, laser, shear, high definition plasma, lathes, mills and saws all oriented around that environment. Are we wrong because we have to use grinders with cut-off discs, torches, hand held plasmas, abrasive and cold saws? Nope, it is just a different way of accomplishing the same task on a different scale. Just because there is a way to do something deemed correct by a specific group of folks does not make another equally effective method incorrect, it just makes it different.

We talking about plasmas or saws?
I can’t imagine a machinist using hand taps in a drill press everyday.

View attachment 66425
http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-vehicles/1811-week-to-wheeling-coming-dec-10-14/

Copy and Pasted from the link above.

"It’s coming this December. Not a Christmas eggnog coma or an early New Year’s hangover. We’re talking about another edition of Week to Wheeling, in which we take a boring, ordinary, completely stock vehicle and throw insults, wrenches, and high-quality parts at it until it’s an off-road killing machine. What’s the catch? We only have a week to do it, and there’s no wiggle room because at the end of each build day we upload a photo gallery and video of the day’s work.

Last year we did a fancy-pantsy 2007 JK Wrangler for Jp magazine, but this year the torch has been passed to Petersen’s 4-Wheel & Off-Road. We’re keeping it old-school and gritty with a 21-year-old 1997 Wrangler TJ. We love TJs because they’re light and nimble, and still enjoy a huge amount of aftermarket support. Best of all, they’re an affordable platform on which to start an off-road buildup.
View attachment 66426

As this is being written, the Wrangler waits in the wings and parts are starting to flow into our shop. Come December 10, we’ll hoist the TJ up on the lift, roll cameras, and the 4-Wheel & Off-Road crew will begin the transformation by gutting the undercarriage in anticipation of a top-quality MetalCloak long-arm suspension. Be sure to check back here at fourwheeler.com each day beginning Monday, December 10, to see the video wrap-up of the day’s work, with new update stories and videos each following day until Friday, December 14, deadline!"
Do you know of any videos where they actually wheel this jeep? I’ve been trying to find some but I can’t come up with anything