Junior—My 04 TJ 5.3 / Auto Swap Build Page

Longhorn84

TJ Enthusiast
Copying from another not to be named site. I started a swap in high school with my grandpa, 91 YJ that we rebuilt a 350 for but stalled out after the engine build. We sold the jeep and gave away the engine and I've always wanted to finish the project. My grandpa was a Jr. so I'm naming my new to me Jeep "Junior", he passed away last year after a long and successful life.

I bought my 2004 4.0 NV3550 TJ in June of 2018. I bought the 5.3L April of 2019, along with the 4L60E transmission. I'm using pretty much all Novak conversion pieces and I'm videoing along the way, I won't post videos to youtube until the swap is done and successful.

So far I've cleaned up and refreshed the junkyard engine, installed Novak engine pieces, had the transmission rebuilt with custom output shaft, cut out old motor mounts and had Novak ones welded in, test fit, then pulled drivetrain, painted engine bay, finally installed 5.3 last night and the real fun is about to begin!

I've done a ton of research and "invested" a lot of money into this swap, let me know if you have any questions!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

I want to know once it's all said and done what you're into it for cost wise (y)

I want to know once it's all said and done what you're into it for cost wise (y)
You and my wife both! I'll give cost definitely, I made a decision to go with Novak and pay for some convenience, I only have so much time and I'm not a fabricator so I chose my battles. So far, complete engine/trans was $2k, Novak stuff was $6k (I'll provide a full list). That's the bulk of the cost but there will be exhaust fabrication, I paid a guy $200 to weld in my motor mounts (which I'm assuming a lot of folks on here wouldn't need to outsource), had to buy some sensors/adapters, new fuel lines, of course I've had a lot of trips to big box stores for tools/nuts/bolts/oil/grease/degreaser/coolant/gaskets/ etc etc etc. I'd say I'll be all in for $9k for the swap and if I had to do it again I could have saved some money in a few places.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
You and my wife both! I'll give cost definitely, I made a decision to go with Novak and pay for some convenience, I only have so much time and I'm not a fabricator so I chose my battles. So far, complete engine/trans was $2k, Novak stuff was $6k (I'll provide a full list). That's the bulk of the cost but there will be exhaust fabrication, I paid a guy $200 to weld in my motor mounts (which I'm assuming a lot of folks on here wouldn't need to outsource), had to buy some sensors/adapters, new fuel lines, of course I've had a lot of trips to big box stores for tools/nuts/bolts/oil/grease/degreaser/coolant/gaskets/ etc etc etc. I'd say I'll be all in for $9k for the swap and if I had to do it again I could have saved some money in a few places.

When I priced out everything from Novak, it was about 15k for all the parts I needed to do a turn key swap on my TJ. This meant all the parts to retain the factory A/C, gauge cluster, etc., as well as a plug-and-play wiring harness, new radiator, and more.

That was also a low mileage 5.3, but a fully rebuilt 4L60E. My thought was that the engine would be fine with low miles, but there is no way I'm buying a mystery mile transmission, putting it in, and then finding out it has issues. Did that once and it turned out to be a big mistake.

Obviously it can be done cheaper, but that was turn key with all the Novak parts and shipped to me on a pallet that would basically just be ready to swap in with no guess work.

When I priced out everything from Novak, it was about 15k for all the parts I needed to do a turn key swap on my TJ. This meant all the parts to retain the factory A/C, gauge cluster, etc., as well as a plug-and-play wiring harness, new radiator, and more.

That was also a low mileage 5.3, but a fully rebuilt 4L60E. My thought was that the engine would be fine with low miles, but there is no way I'm buying a mystery mile transmission, putting it in, and then finding out it has issues. Did that once and it turned out to be a big mistake.

Obviously it can be done cheaper, but that was turn key with all the Novak parts and shipped to me on a pallet that would basically just be ready to swap in with no guess work.
Yep, same here, I got that same quote a few years back. I think going donor vehicle with a 5.3/6.0 and 4l60 is the way to go, I saw a silverado the other day for $1,500 and for sure you could part that out and make money after you removed the drivetrain, just more time and effort to sell the parts but that's probably the way to go so you can test drive and make sure everything works. I had the transmission rebuilt and upgraded since you have to take it apart to change the output shaft, I paid $700 for that so hopefully the trans will be good for a long time to come.

Reactions: Chris
As I’ve contemplated doing this I was planning on a crate engine because I didn’t want to have any issues. But I’m still contemplating between an LS and a supercharger.

Best solution is probably to get both.

As I’ve contemplated doing this I was planning on a crate engine because I didn’t want to have any issues. But I’m still contemplating between an LS and a supercharger.

Best solution is probably to get both.
Ha! My idea was put the junkyward motor in and if I wanted to swap in a beefier 6.0 crate down the line, at least I would have successfully done the swap once. I suspect my engine will put out 290 hp and a stock 4.0 puts out 190 hp so a supercharger would probably come close and be a LOT less work! This was a dream of mine and is an expensive dream, would be smarter to do this if your 4.0 blows up but if it's functional, I may also consider the turbo/supercharger for the 4.0. An LS + supercharger is a recipe for flipping over the day you take it out for a test drive and for sure would need a beefier trans & axles then I have, but it would be pretty awesome!

You did a great job on the engine, except that you installed the valve covers upside down! Ribbing aside from a crimson and cream mouth breather, you have a great looking rig and I cant wait to see more!

• Haha
Reactions: Longhorn84
Ha! My idea was put the junkyward motor in and if I wanted to swap in a beefier 6.0 crate down the line, at least I would have successfully done the swap once. I suspect my engine will put out 290 hp and a stock 4.0 puts out 190 hp so a supercharger would probably come close and be a LOT less work! This was a dream of mine and is an expensive dream, would be smarter to do this if your 4.0 blows up but if it's functional, I may also consider the turbo/supercharger for the 4.0. An LS + supercharger is a recipe for flipping over the day you take it out for a test drive and for sure would need a beefier trans & axles then I have, but it would be pretty awesome!
I put a 60 in the rear expecting to add power someday down the road.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Having thought about this a little bit more, I did want to point out that I ended up selling engine/trans for $1k and my $6k Novak quote included an SYE and tcase shifting linkage, both are not necessary for a swap (~$550 total for both). I also sold the drive shafts and will try to sell my old tcase output shaft. However, I'll also need new driveshafts. If I had to do it again and I had a lower budget, I would get a donor vehicle, part it out, buy a cheaper radiator (Novak is $600), weld in my own motor mounts (I paid $200), I might consider notching the frame vs the ac compressor relocation kits (Holley kit $550), doing the wiring mods myself (Novak cost was $729), and there a few more savers in there. Could probably pull it off for $5k if you had time and fab skills.

Currently I've been wrapping up SYE install and gas tank modification (Novak fuel regular install and return line install, also gas tank pressure sensor for Evap system). Engine is in and looking good. Painting gas tank skid plate, then gas tank is ready to go back in. Pressure line is made, need to make return line. Install tcase and new shifting linkage along with trans mount and we'll be on our way to having a finished drivetrain. Wiring is next. Novak made my harness so I'm hoping it's relatively painless but nothing ever goes as planned.

I have new currie control arms/springs for rear that I guess I should tackle while gas tank is out, I have to change pinion angle since I'm moving to SYE so I'll have to lengthen those arms (I think I bought bushings for track bar and sway bar but I can't remember as it's been over a year). Front lift install went fine (I have a youtube video of it) but I'm not necessarily looking forward doing the back. But, once the rear stuff is done I can measure for drive shafts. In the meantime, I plan to get fuel and wiring done and test fire as it sits now to check for leaks and make sure the junkyard engine runs!

3.JPG

IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

I finished the tank mods and the return line, finished the SYE along with tcase shifting linkage, and permanently mounted the transmission. Now it's order driveshafts and work on wiring, I have all new fluids on order (engine oil/trans oil/tcase oil/engine coolant/power steering fluid) so should be ready to prime and test fire soon!!!

I have gotten a lot done in 10 days. I installed the grille/condenser/radiator, installed both driveshafts, reinstalled gas tank, installed auto trans shifter/linkage, completed all the wiring with solder, reattached the fenders, filled power steering, tcase, trans, and coolant, and probably a million other little things I can't remember now.

Last on list is bleed brakes, install gas pedal, figure out brake booster to intake (my intake was plugged for hydroboost so I ordered a Novak 1/2 to 3/8 adapter to run vacuum line), and I'm ready to test drive.

Last on list will be exhaust and A/C. I am still considering going with exhaust cut outs to give me the option to be obnoxious while having a mild exhaust normally. Still need to wire up A/C but length of lines will be determined by location of high and low pressure switches which aren't installed yet.

Overall, this is a huge pain in the ass, countless hours in the garage and a lot of $$$. Time will tell if it's going to be worth it!