Just a little bit of introverted insurance—a modified come along?

ballpark

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I love my TJ.

Here is how I use my TJ:
  • Daily Driver. I drive it every day. I drive it in a Michigan winter but wash it a lot. I have the top off as much as possible in the summer.
  • Being a mechanical engineer I find things to fix on my TJ and could not be more happy working on my jeep in the garage.
  • Helping someone stuck in snow, occasional off roading. I would like to enjoy trails but there is no where to go where i live.
  • I have with me at all times, a 20ft kinetic rope, 20ft recovery strap, shackles, hitch pin, front tow hooks, tools, soft shackle.
With respect to off-roading:
  • I have open diffs, a 2 inch lift, and 31's. Not any different than stock.
  • I don't like clubs (because of bad experiences with the whole tread lightly thing)
  • In 2 years, I have had the jeep on trails 3 times. In SW Michigan, I have to drive 45 min just to find basic two tracks. There is little around me.
  • I am not a fan of mud. I go through it to get through it. I don't seek it. Point being, I am conservative.

I like to off road alone or with my family. I know this can be a really bad idea, but for us, its about fun destinations rather than the journey.

A winch:
I love the safety factor of having a winch. I hate the idea of buying a $500 + piece of equipment on my front bumper, to be destroyed in a matter of years by Michigan salt, and being lucky to be used a few times a year. I feel like I would be throwing away money.

The king of come-alongs:
Wyeth Scott- love the synthetic. Love the quality. Hesitant about the physical size, and the cost is the same a a winch. Also the 35ft, which is a good start. The 2 ton version, is the same size as the 3 ton, so its cheaper, but still takes up valuable trunk space.

The $50 4 ton come-along.
So, not really the 4 ton, but if you use it as a 2 ton with out the snatch block.... 12ft of working length is a decent start?? A tight steel cable in your face, is not enjoyable. I get nervous when that line gets really taught.

Scenarios:
  • Drive too far into mud. Can't back out. Using traction boards and a shovel to help start the recovery.
  • Ground an axle or frame causing 1 wheel off the ground, and the opposite wheel, not enough traction. (yes lockers would solve this)
  • Slide off a snowy trail into the ditch.

So, here is my idea.
I think 2 tons will be the help needed, it most situations, to recover my jeep.
  • I would like to buy a $50 come along and equip it with 50 ft of 1/4 synthetic rope.
  • Synthetic rope 1/4" has about a 7000 breaking strength.
  • I understand that I can only spool say 12 feet and I would have to manage the remaining rope.
  • I would make sure to modify / check the come along for anything that would cut the rope.
  • I think wrap a recovery strap around my anchor (tree). Depending on how many wraps around the tree, would give me the ability to remove slack in the come along.
  • Attach the come along to the recover strap and the long lead would then go to the jeep. This keeps me away from the mud and the moving jeep.
Ultimately for say $100, I have something that is better than nothing, if I bring it with me.

So... any thoughts?

I would love it if I could use the winch as a traction winch. Tension on the back end of the rope, say 6 wraps to achieve the necessary friction and unlimited pull length.... but I don't see it being done...

Reactions: TJ Starting
I would like to enjoy trails but there is no where to go where i live.
What?
I've only been to Michigan once, but I thought it was a great Jeep destination. Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Drummond Island, and tons of forest service roads. Not exactly sure what you're looking for, but two track sounds perfect for a mostly stock jeep. Can't imagine not being able to find places to offroad.
Around me, all the offroad parks are at least 2 hours away. And no such thing as public land to legally wheel on.

As far as winches go, I've been wheeling for 30 years without one. I would, however, recommend at least one locker.

What?
I've only been to Michigan once, but I thought it was a great Jeep destination. Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Drummond Island, and tons of forest service roads. Not exactly sure what you're looking for, but two track sounds perfect for a mostly stock jeep. Can't imagine not being able to find places to offroad.
Around me, all the offroad parks are at least 2 hours away. And no such thing as public land to legally wheel on.

As far as winches go, I've been wheeling for 30 years without one. I would, however, recommend at least one locker.

Good points... thank you.

Yankee Springs is 45 min, Silver Lake is 2 hours, and then Drummond and the UP are 4-5 ish hours. There is an off road park about 1.5 hours south of me.

It does sound like I am making this a lot harder than it needs to be.

A winch:
I love the safety factor of having a winch. I hate the idea of buying a $500 + piece of equipment on my front bumper, to be destroyed in a matter of years by Michigan salt, and being lucky to be used a few times a year. I feel like I would be throwing away money
Have you considered a winch mounted on a receiver cradle? Big, clunky, homely but you Cn leave it home or strapped down inside so no rust.

Reactions: IPerkWVU
I used to use come-a-longs when I was a kid. They did get me out of jambs and they are nice for pulling dents or bending fenders off of tires etc, but I have used them to get unstuck many times, even on full sized rigs. How I wasn't killed by one I will never know. I actually never had one break. I had vehicles so stuck that I couldn't crank on it anymore, so we used pipes to stick on the handle to get more leverage. I was way too dangerous with it for many years.

That is a little me, when I get stuck or in a situation I Macgyver shit to work just to get off the side of the mountain or whatever it takes. As I got older and more fiscally responsible, I decided to get a winch. It is much more controlled, and you can stay way clear of it.

In your case, if you are helping people out of snow, you are kind of responsible at that point. That means if you are pulling a car off of the side of the road, and your strap or come-a-long breaks, and they hit a tree, you are responsible or liable for damage. At least that was the case where I live, and I am not in Michigan, but I assume it is the same.

I, like you, like to help people, but I let them know up front that I will help, and I am not a recovery service, so I can't be held liable for damages, and I make them agree before I help, but in all honesty. I know I am liable, so I try and use quality tools, and hope to shit they don't sue me for trying to help.

My vote is for what everybody else is saying, if you are going to help people, or even want to help yourself if you goof up in the snow, the winch is the way to go. Personally I only have experience with Warn winches, and I have never been let down. I use mine all of the time, but maybe you can get a cheaper winch? My friend has a Ramsey, and it is every bit as good as mine, but it reels in slower than molasses. So if you don't mind the wait you could go cheaper. You could even give up frills like synthetic rope and go cable. I know people are going to disagree, but I have never had a synthetic rope on my winches, and I have always had a winch on my 4x4's and they have always been cables. So that is a way to save money.

One more way to save money is I bought my winch from https://www.4wd.com on black Friday. It was on sale for $450 with a 50 dollar rebate. The rebate took forever to get, but I finally got it. Look for deals around black Friday. Also Northridge 4x4 usually has online coupons, and pretty good sales.

And, one last thing to suggest you to get a winch, you are an electrical engineer; Look for a cheap used one on craigslist or offer up and rebuild it. I bet you can pick one up pretty cheap, and you can rebuild it in the garage before you put it on.

I love my TJ.

Here is how I use my TJ:
  • Daily Driver. I drive it every day. I drive it in a Michigan winter but wash it a lot. I have the top off as much as possible in the summer.
  • Being a mechanical engineer I find things to fix on my TJ and could not be more happy working on my jeep in the garage.
  • Helping someone stuck in snow, occasional off roading. I would like to enjoy trails but there is no where to go where i live.
  • I have with me at all times, a 20ft kinetic rope, 20ft recovery strap, shackles, hitch pin, front tow hooks, tools, soft shackle.
With respect to off-roading:
  • I have open diffs, a 2 inch lift, and 31's. Not any different than stock.
  • I don't like clubs (because of bad experiences with the whole tread lightly thing)
  • In 2 years, I have had the jeep on trails 3 times. In SW Michigan, I have to drive 45 min just to find basic two tracks. There is little around me.
  • I am not a fan of mud. I go through it to get through it. I don't seek it. Point being, I am conservative.

I like to off road alone or with my family. I know this can be a really bad idea, but for us, its about fun destinations rather than the journey.

A winch:
I love the safety factor of having a winch. I hate the idea of buying a $500 + piece of equipment on my front bumper, to be destroyed in a matter of years by Michigan salt, and being lucky to be used a few times a year. I feel like I would be throwing away money.

The king of come-alongs:
Wyeth Scott- love the synthetic. Love the quality. Hesitant about the physical size, and the cost is the same a a winch. Also the 35ft, which is a good start. The 2 ton version, is the same size as the 3 ton, so its cheaper, but still takes up valuable trunk space.

The $50 4 ton come-along.
So, not really the 4 ton, but if you use it as a 2 ton with out the snatch block.... 12ft of working length is a decent start?? A tight steel cable in your face, is not enjoyable. I get nervous when that line gets really taught.

Scenarios:
  • Drive too far into mud. Can't back out. Using traction boards and a shovel to help start the recovery.
  • Ground an axle or frame causing 1 wheel off the ground, and the opposite wheel, not enough traction. (yes lockers would solve this)
  • Slide off a snowy trail into the ditch.

So, here is my idea.
I think 2 tons will be the help needed, it most situations, to recover my jeep.
  • I would like to buy a $50 come along and equip it with 50 ft of 1/4 synthetic rope.
  • Synthetic rope 1/4" has about a 7000 breaking strength.
  • I understand that I can only spool say 12 feet and I would have to manage the remaining rope.
  • I would make sure to modify / check the come along for anything that would cut the rope.
  • I think wrap a recovery strap around my anchor (tree). Depending on how many wraps around the tree, would give me the ability to remove slack in the come along.
  • Attach the come along to the recover strap and the long lead would then go to the jeep. This keeps me away from the mud and the moving jeep.
Ultimately for say $100, I have something that is better than nothing, if I bring it with me.

So... any thoughts?

I would love it if I could use the winch as a traction winch. Tension on the back end of the rope, say 6 wraps to achieve the necessary friction and unlimited pull length.... but I don't see it being done...
crap buy a xrc9500 for a little over $200 an let it rot,,,,,,mine works fine 3 or for times a year for pulling someone else ha.....2 yr old an still looks new...

I wouldn't do the synthetic come-along thing, seems like a bad idea inline with the load and bunching up the synthetic line. You'd be standing right inline with the load, no thanks.

I would do a waterproof XRC with steel line and a hawse fairlead similar to what @rubicube suggested. Treat the line with open gear lube new and every season and you'll be fine for years.

I might just get a good shovel.

Reactions: rubicube
Appreciate all the input. I just went for a 10 mile run thinking the power puller would be easily transferable to any vehicle I am in. Came back to some quality posts. Money is only an issue because I don't like to spend it. I also like to spend it where it will be used.

I will take care of whatever I purchase, because that is what i do.

I think I will wait for the XRC9500 to go on sale and pick one up. I like the raised winch plate because the fair lead sits back a few more inches and strap it on my stock bumper.

@_ac I think Michigan is the same way. I still stop and at least see if they want help... but its on me for sure.

@pragrey - do you mean roller fairlead? Or one of the cast steel hawse versions?

@Apparition- In college I was in plenty of bad / long situations with my YJ. Pretty much shovels and built roads from sticks and such for hours and hours... I know enough to at least try to avoid that these days. Back than, I went for it every time. :)

But thank you all. I really enjoy this vehicle.

Just an old Warn/Mopar steel hawse like this, no rollers to corrode or wear out and affordable. I have a roller sitting in the garage, just don't want to deal with all the extra parts. The hawse is low maintenance and compact. Perfect if you have to spray it off all the time, no parts to corrode.

15886342869790.jpg

Appreciate all the input. I just went for a 10 mile run thinking the power puller would be easily transferable to any vehicle I am in. Came back to some quality posts. Money is only an issue because I don't like to spend it. I also like to spend it where it will be used.

I will take care of whatever I purchase, because that is what i do.

I think I will wait for the XRC9500 to go on sale and pick one up. I like the raised winch plate because the fair lead sits back a few more inches and strap it on my stock bumper.

@_ac I think Michigan is the same way. I still stop and at least see if they want help... but its on me for sure.

@pragrey - do you mean roller fairlead? Or one of the cast steel hawse versions?

@Apparition- In college I was in plenty of bad / long situations with my YJ. Pretty much shovels and built roads from sticks and such for hours and hours... I know enough to at least try to avoid that these days. Back than, I went for it every time. :)

But thank you all. I really enjoy this vehicle.
Glad you are considering buying a winch.

As a fellow mechanical engineer I’ve come to realize there’s a reason why the saying “right tool for the job” exists. I say that as someone who has bent a hi-lift jack using it as a winch.

Just an old Warn/Mopar steel hawse like this, no rollers to corrode or wear out and affordable. I have a roller sitting in the garage, just don't want to deal with all the extra parts. The hawse is low maintenance and compact. Perfect if you have to spray it off all the time, no parts to corrode.

View attachment 158659

I really like this. Really simplifies the look and those rollers always seem to be corroded.

i actually used to carry a few liability forms in my old truck for people i found on the side of the road who were stuck in ditches, mud, etc.
only once did i have someone who wasnt okay with signing it, i shrugged and told him he should call a tow truck company then.
basically stating, i will help pull your vehicle out but i am in no way responsible for any damages done prior, during, or after the vehicle has been recovered.
never did damage anyones car, always tried to be as careful as i could be. accidents do happen.

Reactions: Apparition
This has me a bit stumped. Found this Minnesota knock off brand called MotoAlliance. The winch had the look of the M8000 as well as the Superwinch LP8500.

So, looking at budget winches... (please keep that in mind) the MotoAlliance looks spot on identical to the Superwinch LP8500. Sounds like the Superwinch is a slow winch but has been around for some time?

Amazon Link to MotoAlliance 8500lb winch.

The knockoff version is $250 and the Superwinch is between $399 and $540

Beside warranty... which I don't expect any... is this the same?

The LP8500 is a slow winch, but they work well. I did many hard pulls, and many back to back pulls in the winter and never had an issue with the one I had. The only reason I don't have it now is because I picked up an M8274.

Last edited:
Reactions: ballpark
For a budget winch you might look into the Smittybilt XRC 9.5K Gen2. It is under $300 and waterproof. The performance is better than the Superwinch and it wont rust out in two days. They sell tons of them at 4wheelparts and there aren't too many horror stories floating around. Obviously it's not a Warn but It's still a decent winch. If you want a step up the Milemarker SEC8 ES or "element sealed" winch is a good option. That's under $400. I personally wouldn't consider a used winch that isn't waterproof. It'll take more work to keep it clean and running.

For a budget winch might look into the Smittybilt XRC 9.5K Gen2. It is under $300 and waterproof. The performance is better than the Superwinch and it wont rust out in two days. They sell tons of them at 4wheelparts and there aren't too many horror stories floating around. Obviously it's not a Warn but It's still a decent winch. If you want a step up the Milemarker SEC8 ES or "element sealed" winch is a good option. That's under $400. I personally wouldn't consider a used winch that isn't waterproof. It'll take more work to keep it clean and running.

I think the XRC is at the top of my list. Price went from $300 to $250 in a few hours today on Amazon.