Just Another Tailgate Table

Wombat

TJ Enthusiast
I put together a simple Tailgate Table the other week and as I was weighing up how to go about it my new Dog (K.A.O.S) was jumping up and annoying the shit out of me which had me thinking, dog that likes to investigate while cooking - as dogs do - might be a problem so the fold down vertion may not be right for me.

As much as K.A.O.S is fun to have around when camping, cooking is a challenge and I don't like to tie him up so I went with the fold up, I used a magnet lach to stop it rattling so you just grab it and lift it up. I'll create a little compartment underneath for utensils where the magnet is currently situated and call it done. overall cost about 15.00 US Dollars lol

It's a little high but importantly, K.A.O.S is pissed he cant steal my bacon as I can now cook in peace.

IMG_1912.JPG
IMG_1913.JPG
IMG_1914.JPG
IMG_1915.JPG

I thought about the tailgate table but decided to put a gas strut on it instead to stop it closing on a cross fall so there is no room for a table now, I also considered the amount of use I would actually get from the table compared to the tailgate staying open.
Our road cross falls mostly fall left so a lot of the time the tailgate keeps closing on you if parked in a street. I still like the table idea though and if tailgate opened right to left would have one instead of the gas strut.

Did you shelve the entire rear tub? I only did half

Should help for tall people
Actually, I'm on the short side but if I went with the lower option as my dog tries to put his front paws up on the table and it's dangerous with hot food. I've tried to train him to not jump up but he cant resist and this works well, I can cook in peace and not worry about him pushing the camp stoves off the tailgate.

Here's the offender (KAOS)
IMG_1817.JPG

I thought about the tailgate table but decided to put a gas strut on it instead to stop it closing on a cross fall
I have the ARB wheel carrier that has a lockpin.

Did you shelve the entire rear tub? I only did half
Still working on a simple draw for my fridge and I only want to do the bottom half because I have a dog crate above the tub - you can just see the soft crate in the second photo.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BeavisTJ
Actually, I'm on the short side but if I went with the lower option as my dog tries to put his front paws up on the table and it's dangerous with hot food. I've tried to train him to not jump up but he cant resist and this works well, I can cook in peace and not worry about him pushing the camp stoves off the tailgate.

Here's the offender (KAOS)
View attachment 216546

I have the ARB wheel carrier that has a lockpin.

Still working on a simple draw for my fridge and I only want to do the bottom half because I have a dog crate above the tub - you can just see the soft crate in the second photo.

He is a perfect companion for a Jeep.

Here is Bruce with me at the Jeep wreckers.

Snapchat-133696331.jpg

Reactions: Wombat