Just felt my first earthquake

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
We had a 5.7 earthquake in SLC this morning.. Boy was that unsettling. Never felt an earthquake before, I'd be happy to never feel that again.

The workshop I built myself last year is still standing though, so I'm pretty proud of that!

Hoping everything is safe for you and those around you. Never felt an earthquake myself, but I imagine it to be a pretty surreal experience.

I remember feeling my first earthquake probably 15 years ago. It was definitely a scary experience as it wasn't a weak one.

Never heard of UT getting earthquakes...how often does that happen? Glad you the garage and TJ are ok.

You know since I moved here a few years ago I've heard a lot of people say that they're common, little ones at least. According to The News 1992 was the last time they had one this strong.

Never felt an earthquake myself, but I imagine it to be a pretty surreal experience.

Yeah dude that shit was weird. The pots & pans hanging over the oven were swinging back and forth and I damn near lost a bottle of Macallan single malt from the high shelf! lol. It was like 20 seconds of not having any idea what to do because one thing your brain is very used to is the ground not moving.

You know since I moved here a few years ago I've heard a lot of people say that they're common, little ones at least. According to The News 1992 was the last time they had one this strong.

Yeah dude that shit was weird. The pots & pans hanging over the oven were swinging back and forth and I damn near lost a bottle of Macallan single malt from the high shelf! lol. It was like 20 seconds of not having any idea what to do because one thing your brain is very used to is the ground not moving.
Been through many. They always catch you by surprise and that 20 seconds doesn't seem to change. You get the first rumble, your senses try to adjust to what's happening and then it dawns on you what's happening and you start looking for the safe place.

The worst one for sensory confusion was sitting at a stop light a couple cars back. The suspension isolated the shaking but the standards the lights were on and the power poles started moving. Pushing on the brake pedal harder didn't help, at all.

Now though we find ourselves evaluating the type. Yeah, that was a sharp crack type, this one is a slow roller.

Reactions: KMET
Yep, dependent on which wave hits first. If memory serves, P waves are the sharp ones, S waves are the rollers. I experienced a pretty good one in 87 while I was working in the University post office at Humboldt State. Earth quakes are pretty common in the northern part of Cali too.

Earthquake is almost normal part of the day in the Micronesian islands where I grew up.
We kids are still playing outside while the entire ground is swinging, I am not kidding.
Riding in a small boat in the ocean at 20 ft. wave is challenging, but earthquake?

Welcome to the club! I first experienced mine when I was just a little kid. I experienced a ton after that. The earthquakes that are really weird are the ones you feel you are dizzy or about to pass out. I’m guessing it’s the S waves mentioned above. It messes with your sensory.

Welcome to the club! I first experienced mine when I was just a little kid. I experienced a ton after that. The earthquakes that are really weird are the ones you feel you are dizzy or about to pass out. I’m guessing it’s the S waves mentioned above. It messes with your sensory.

The last good one we had I was in the shower when it hit and I felt drunk. Really confusing because I had been drinking that afternoon but not enough to be seeing the walls moving. :LOL:

USGS has a great earthquake map. We even get them here from the New Madrid fault. I've experienced a 4.0 and it was enough to send vibrations through the bed.

The last good one we had I was in the shower when it hit and I felt drunk. Really confusing because I had been drinking that afternoon but not enough to be seeing the walls moving. :LOL:

Dude that was my first thought because it was in the morning when I was heading out to work "no WAY did I have that much to drink last night"

Felt my first just this last January on a cruise ship in the Georgetown Cay of the Cayman's. A 7.7--weird but I'm sure not like on land at all. The tsunami was a massive 0.4 ft :ROFLMAO:. Felt like the ship went over the top of a submarine.

I used to go spelunking--and in the area where a finger off the New Madrid fault line arc'ed around. I had only two fears while crawling thru caves. 1) was breaking a leg down there where no one could help me through crawl ways and 2) was if an earthquake would hit and cause ceiling breakdowns. Obviously i got out every time.

Been living in earthquake country for 3-1/2 years now and still have not even experienced one, even had a 3.5 here last week and never felt it.