Just got my re-geared Jeep back!

Re-geared my Jeep to 5.13's riding on 33's on 17" wheels with a 4cyl.
Runs great, just like it did back on the little tiny 15" wheels it originally came with.
Nice to have 5th back with some pedal left for acceleration too.
Great up-grade.

Proper gearing is fantastic.

I think of it as a catch-up grade- Because you’re bringing everything back up to where it was.

you have a very unique TJ And have done a really good job of making it that way without making it something weird or messed up

Proper gearing is fantastic.

I think of it as a catch-up grade- Because you’re bringing everything back up to where it was.

you have a very unique TJ And have done a really good job of making it that way without making it something weird or messed up

Lol, thanks Andy.
The end goal is to have a functional, very mild camping Jeep our son and his wife can go camping with after I give it to them.
Runs like stock again, love it.

Reactions: AndyG
Look out!!! ;)
snail Jeep fast.gif

Re-geared my Jeep to 5.13's riding on 33's on 17" wheels with a 4cyl.
Runs great, just like it did back on the little tiny 15" wheels it originally came with.
Nice to have 5th back with some pedal left for acceleration too.
Great up-grade.

Awesome! Spread the word - regear those four-cylinder TJ's! Too many folks put 33" or 35" tires on their 2.5 TJ's without regearing, and then complain about the lack of acceleration and not being able to use 5th gear.

I put 4.88 gears in my four-cylinder TJ with 33" tires. Sometimes I wonder if I should have just stepped it up a little bit more to 5.13. But I'm not complaining.

Jeeping off road.jpg

Awesome! Spread the word - regear those four-cylinder TJ's! Too many folks put 33" or 35" tires on their 2.5 TJ's without regearing, and then complain about the lack of acceleration and not being able to use 5th gear.

I put 4.88 gears in my four-cylinder TJ with 33" tires. Sometimes I wonder if I should have just stepped it up a little bit more to 5.13. But I'm not complaining.

View attachment 356215

4.88 or 5.13's was the big debate and was heavily advised to go 5.13 and glad I did.

I've been riding stock gears and 33's on my little 4 cyl for the last 20+ years. I finally have some money to throw at the jeep and gears are on the list. Glad to hear you're digging the 5.13's. Did you add super 35 and/or locker?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I've been riding stock gears and 33's on my little 4 cyl for the last 20+ years. I finally have some money to throw at the jeep and gears are on the list. Glad to hear you're digging the 5.13's. Did you add super 35 and/or locker?

No lockers, no need because the Jeep never leaves the pavement.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
No lockers, no need because the Jeep never leaves the pavement.

I managed to get stuck on the road shoulder when i stopped to take a pic of sunset over the beach.
Flat surface, mix of gravel, shells and hard sand, right next to a parked Prius. I dug myself in all the way down to dif covers without moving an inch, kinda like in that pic above. A Jeeper that pulled over to save me had a very confuzeld look on his face, especially after observing Prius simply driving away.

Congrats on the reagear, i feel your joy. Hope that dreaded post regear vibrations don't effect you

I managed to get stuck on the road shoulder when i stopped to take a pic of sunset over the beach.
Flat surface, mix of gravel, shells and hard sand, right next to a parked Prius. I dug myself in all the way down to dif covers without moving an inch, kinda like in that pic above. A Jeeper that pulled over to save me had a very confuzeld look on his face, especially after observing Prius simply driving away.

Congrats on the reagear, i feel your joy. Hope that dreaded post regear vibrations don't effect you

I'm only getting it up to about 55mph until she's broken in, but zero vibrations so far. Fingers crossed.

I made some charts and graphs. You might want to copy this and save it somewhere.
Percentages were rounded, and tires are not always exactly as tall as advertised.

TIre size calculator: https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Tire Size Differences (in percentages)

28”​
31”​
32”​
33”​
34”​
35”​
28”​
.11​
.14​
.18​
.21​
.25​
31”​
.03​
.06​
.10​
.13​
32”​
.03​
.06​
.09​
33”​
.03​
.06​
34”​
.03​

Left hand column is your starting tire size

Upper row is your desired tire size

Numbers underneath represent the change in tire size as a percentage (i.e.: going from a 28” tire size to a 33” tire size represents a .18 or an 18% increase).

Formula is: (larger tire height minus smaller tire height) / smaller tire height = % change. i.e. (33" - 28") divided by 28" = .1785 (or 18%)

Gear Ratio Differences (in percentages)

3.07​
3.55​
3.73​
4.10​
4.56​
4.88​
5.13​
5.38​
3.07​
.16​
.21​
.34​
.49​
.59​
.67​
.75​
3.55​
.05​
.15​
.28​
.37​
.46​
.52​
3.73​
.10​
.22​
.31​
.36​
.44​
4.10​
.13​
.19​
.25​
.31​
4.56​
.07​
.13​
.18​
4.88​
.05​
.10​
5.13​
.05​

Left hand column is your starting gear ratio

Upper row is your desired gear ratio

Numbers underneath represent the change in gear ratio as a percentage (i.e.: going from a 4.10 gear ratio to a 4.88 gear ratio represents a .19 or a 19% increase).

Formula is: (new lower gear ratio minus original gear ratio) / original gear ratio = % change. i.e. (4.88 minus 4.10) divided by 4.10 = .1902 (or 19%)
How to use this information....

So for example… let’s say you have a four-cylinder Jeep TJ with stock 4.10 gears. You have factory 28” tall tires, and you want to go to 33” tires.

Looking at the tire size differences chart, going across from 28" to 33" would represent an 18% increase in tire size.

Looking at the gear ratio differences chart, starting with 4.10 and going across, a 4.88 gear ratio would put you at a .19 (19%) increase to essentially compensate for the increase in tire size.

However, going to a 5.13 (.25 or 25% increase over stock 4.10 gears) would only be about another 5% increase over the 4.88 gear ratio, and would help compensate for the additional weight and rolling resistance of the larger tires.

If you come out between two different gear ratios, you're probably better off picking the higher gear ratio (i.e.: if have to choose between 4.56 and 4.88, go with 4.88) to help compensate for the larger tire's added weight, increased rolling resistance, etc.

If you have a six-cylinder TJ, the factory gears may be 3.07 or 3.73. The factory gears in the TJ Rubicon are 4.10 with 31" tires. If you have a non-Rubicon TJ and are wanting to increase your tire size, you may want to consider using 4.10 gears and 31" tires as your baseline even if you've got 3.07 gears and 28" tires on your Jeep.

Last edited: