Just picked up a 99 2.5. Should I DD it?

Jeepaholic

TJ Enthusiast
I picked up a 99 wrangler se with 100k miles, 5 speed no a/c. Fern green? Got it cheap was going to clean it up and sell it, but thinking about using it for my daily. Anyone know if factory a/c can be added? Gets real hot in summer traffic here!
20171015_165138.jpg

Reactions: StG58
Gets damn hot! Really though, I rarely used mine. As long as I was moving, the open air, even hot, wasn't a killer. The fwy is another story as it gets too hot for long runs.

Clean looking SE. Should be a decent DD if kept stock.

Reactions: StG58
Reactions: Rob5589
Anyone know if factory a/c can be added?

Yes and without too much difficulty.
You will need the following year specific items and then an AC shop to evacuate the system and charge it correctly.
HVAC box or add the evaporator coil to your existing one.
HVAC control panel in dash
compressor
Receiver dryer
AC condenser in front of radiator
AC pressure switches
AC lines

Cooling system overhaul because the AC adds heat burden which will reveal any deficiency in the cooling system. I converted a 97 a couple of months ago and warned the owner that this may be the case. He ignored the warning and instead of testing the system on the way home, waited until he was on wheeling trip where he would have really like the AC to work without overheating.

Where is the best place to buy new rancho’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01963XI50/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I picked up a 99 wrangler se with 100k miles, 5 speed no a/c. Fern green? Got it cheap was going to clean it up and sell it, but thinking about using it for my daily. Anyone know if factory a/c can be added? Gets real hot in summer traffic here!

I wouldn't be afraid to daily it, but I would definitely want AC for the commute!

"I just picked up a 99 2.5. Should I DD it?" Emphatically, yes. I might even have a complete, perfectly functioning A/C setup out of a 99 2.5 for you to install, but it will be a bit of time before you can have it. My SE came with air, but it's useless here on the wet side. Let me think on it a bit, I'd have to change my build schedule slightly to remove mine.

Yes and without too much difficulty.
You will need the following year specific items and then an AC shop to evacuate the system and charge it correctly.
HVAC box or add the evaporator coil to your existing one.
HVAC control panel in dash
compressor
Receiver dryer
AC condenser in front of radiator
AC pressure switches
AC lines

Cooling system overhaul because the AC adds heat burden which will reveal any deficiency in the cooling system. I converted a 97 a couple of months ago and warned the owner that this may be the case. He ignored the warning and instead of testing the system on the way home, waited until he was on wheeling trip where he would have really like the AC to work without overheating.
Thank you, that doesn't sound too hard. I will definitely go through the cooling, I didn't even drive my LJ until I replaced the entire cooling system and replaced all gaskets, seals, timing chain, etc. Anything serviceable I will replace. I usually do that on newly aquired vehicles that have unknown service history.

"I just picked up a 99 2.5. Should I DD it?" Emphatically, yes. I might even have a complete, perfectly functioning A/C setup out of a 99 2.5 for you to install, but it will be a bit of time before you can have it. My SE came with air, but it's useless here on the wet side. Let me think on it a bit, I'd have to change my build schedule slightly to remove mine.
Thank you for the offer, if I decide it needs a/c, I will let you know, probably won't be for awhile since the heat is over for a while

I daily drive mine, gas mileage isn't too good even though it's only a 4 banger. When it's hot I put down the windows and pop the rear hatch get a decent air flow and it's not unbearable. If you're going on a bumpy road though put a bungee on it to keep it from bouncing on the struts.
2014-09-19 11.59.14.jpg