Just Returned From Ireland

TimB54

Supporting Member
I just spent 16 days driving around Ireland. First, it is a little tricky driving on the left side, and other than the freeways, which are few, most roads are glorified bike lanes. However, once you get past fearing for your life when a semi comes in the opposite direction it is a wonderful place to visit. I drove a 6 speed diesel Skoda - essentially a jetta made in eastern Europe. What a wonderful engine - I am pissed at VW for souring diesel sales again in the US by cheating on emissions. We drove over 1500 kilometers and average close to 30 mpg. I only saw 3 jeeps. A early 2000s Grand Cherokee, a Compass and a Commander - all diesel. I was hoping to see some diesel TJs or even JKs, I guess half the vehicles there are diesel and I was envious of all the old Landrover defender diesels - especially the boxy ones with the recessed grill. I wish I had a diesel right hand TJ for the trip as I would have appreciated its small size and the fact that I would have sat higher - a lot of Irish roads feel like a race track as the foliage or walls are right on the edge of the road and usually block your view. Gas is about $1.30 a liter while diesel is about 10% less. If you have a chance to visit Ireland, you won't regret it. Great people and great drink. One last thing is that not everything is reversed on a right hand drive car. The gears are in the same place as they are on a left hand drive car so more than once I tried to start off on third or fifth gear thinking it was first - good times. I did read about several off road parks but didn't visit them. Plus there are no shortage of primitive roads in the countryside. Attache is a pic of my Irish ride

IMG_3413.JPG

Reactions: Chris
You are a better driver than me. I went to New Zealand and rented a stick. The girl pushed an auto on me but I refused. I was back in an hour to trade it for an auto. She just laughed. Guess it happens a lot with Americans. I could not keep track of clutch, shifter, signals, etc, while trying to navigate the roads. My advice? Get an auto...
[emoji16]

Lee - 2005 TJ 4.0 Auto - Las Vegas

I hear ya about losing track of the pedals. Like the gears they are in the same place as well. Unfortunately, an auto wouldn't have made the roads any wider. :). Also, they won't guaranty which automatic you are getting while they will for a manual.

Reactions: LeePTI and Chris
Those VW diesels are great engines, but just wait until all the electronic bullshit starts happening (which it will).

I am with @LeePTI, I would stick to an auto for a rental. I know if I had a stick I would be too confused with everything that worrying about driving stick would just make it that much worse.

Ireland is somewhere we want to go at some point.

Reactions: LeePTI
To be clear: Hats off to Tim. I wanted a stick... Just wasn't worthy. Lol. Plus I may have had a beer or two each night further complicating my situation.
[emoji15]

Lee - 2005 TJ 4.0 Auto - Las Vegas

We went on a cruise, we hopped off a day early and rented a car in La Havre France. We rented a Renault stick and drove to Normandie. I hand not driven stick in like 20 years. I had forgotten how much fun stick was. It put the interactive back in driving. It was why I bought a stick Jeep. We brought our own GPS. We had a blast. Just like you said, the roads are windy and narrow. We rented another car in Amsterdam, they gave me a Ford Fiesta. I returned it in the morning. What a useless car. We then drove through many countries with a six speed Volvo. Including the Autobahn. Got to drive 140mph legally. What a rush. We did make it to Ireland for a day stop during the cruise. It was beautiful. I didn't drive though. In Scotland we hired a local cabbie to drive us around. An extremely memorable trip. And being a photographer.....just wow. The visual delights. And all spent with my wonderful girlfriend, soon to be wife, who is a fearless travel companion. I'll never forget my first trip to Europe. We now go as often as we can afford too. Work stopped me this year, but I already put in for a month off next summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk