Just started my newly rebuilt engine

matkal

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Just started my newly rebuilt engine and am running it at 2500 rpm for 20 maybe minutes to break in the cam

pic001.jpg

Wow did your original motor last 300k
Yes and no. When I bought it last year the PO said it had a different engine that was "gone through" just south of 300k. Well it didn't last me 500 miles, spun the #1 rod bearing so I decided to rebuild it myself. It's been a good experience overall, learned a lot.

Nice! Any mods to this rebuilt engine or is it stock?
Thank you. Engine is stock.

That's got to be a great feeling!

It is a good feeling! Especially since it was my first time rebuilding an entire engine ( I had done top ends on dirt and street motorcycles) and there was always some nagging thought in my mind that I had screwed something up and the fact that it didn't start the first time I tried it because I forgot to seat the connector to the OPDA. I've gone way over my budget for this Jeep in my first year of ownership. Hopefully the Jeep gods will accept my gifts of blood(literally. LOL) and treasure and bless my little red TJ I affectionately call TFB (That Fu*kin Bitch).

I'm glad you got it figured out, and the good news is that it should last you 500k miles easily before you even have to think about rebuilding it again!

Reactions: matkal
Makes you feel like a new dad the first time I brought my first complete engine to life!(tho I was 12 at the time)
Congratulations to you. Even now, over 40 years later, it is still one of the best feelings to fire up a new engine!👍👍

Makes you feel like a new dad the first time I brought my first complete engine to life!(tho I was 12 at the time)
Congratulations to you. Even now, over 40 years later, it is still one of the best feelings to fire up a new engine!👍👍
IT’S ALIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!

Welp I took TFB for a bit of a shakedown cruise to get a couple qts of atf+4. Does the +4 mean plus $4? $15 for two qts. Anyway, on to my mechanic to show off TFB and check the atf level and inquire about him checking the timing and recharging the ac.
Now to put a few miles on to break in.... fuel is on E so back to town for gas and decided to head home...... Good thing. About two miles down the road (5 miles from home)everything is right with the world when I look in my mirror...... FAAAK!! A huge cloud of white smoke. Shit. By the time I find a good place to pull over, about 100yds, TFB won’t go anywhere. Yep you guessed it, blew a tranny🤣line. Shit again. Long story short, my lovely daughter and grandson came to my rescue and towed TFB home.
2AE1F3D3-DB0D-457E-9A65-975CCCE54E7F.jpeg
53563F5E-34A7-42F4-9518-4F7CB199F818.jpeg
58CAA541-88BF-43C6-9B3A-5984BFC406CA.jpeg

I now see firsthand the wisdom of spring clips on the tow hooks. The bandanas served the same purpose today. At least my daughter doesn’t drive a Ford. 😜

Yes and no. When I bought it last year the PO said it had a different engine that was "gone through" just south of 300k. Well it didn't last me 500 miles, spun the #1 rod bearing so I decided to rebuild it myself. It's been a good experience overall, learned a lot.
My 4.0 just blew at 97,000 miles, cylinder #2 piston skirt... where did you get yours rebuilt, im looking at either a (somewhat) cheap stroker/bored rebuild or just a remanufactured crate 4.0

My 4.0 just blew at 97,000 miles, cylinder #2 piston skirt... where did you get yours rebuilt, im looking at either a (somewhat) cheap stroker/bored rebuild or just a remanufactured crate 4.0
Local(ish) machine shop machined the block, had the head redone and sourced the rebuild kit, pistons and cam. I put it all together.

Well, some idiot forgot to tighten a trans line at the radiator.
The good news is I have a nice coating of trans fluid in the engine bay and underneath the whole Jeep.