K&N cold air intake and passing California smog test

gregorystevens

Hi guys

I bought a TJ from another state and brought it to my home state of California. The guy that I bought it from had installed a K&N cold intake kit.

I googled this and came upon something that scared me, apparently, in California it is illegal to possess or sell these? But some sources are telling me depends on the model number, some models are legal in California? but the problem is, the one installed in my TJ doesn't have a model number. I looked it all over with a flash light, couldn't find any numbers (or letter). also, in google images I see that these usually have a K&N written on them in color, I think red and orange color. The one in mine is just a raised embossed part, the hose that connects the filter to my jeep just has a raised part and the raised part says K&N. maybe I got a fake?

anybody know if these are legal in California? if not, how much would it cost to replace the filter with the original one and who's the right mechanic to do it?

Hi, I actually came upon that website in my search, which states this part is not legal in California.
but I wasn't sure if that's really my model number. that must be my model number if K&N has never made any other cold intake kits for TJ. but I don't know if that's the case.
On the website that says not for use in CA, if you expand the "detailed info" it has the CARB number...its legal for use in CA.

If he doesn't have the model number as stated in his first post I don't think that will help much. His best bet would be to ask a smog tech.
He may never see his family again if he does that.

• Haha
Reactions: Scout734
I live in Commiefornia as well and have the windstar intake for my highline fenders. I've found that if you take it to an old chinese man who doesn't give a shit you'll pass.

Reactions: Fishtaco
Unless it has a C.A.R.B. approval number on it or C.A.R.B. letter stating that model number is approved it will not pass smog.
thanks, I don't have either one.

On the website that says not for use in CA, if you expand the "detailed info" it has the CARB number...its legal for use in CA.
the impression that I am getting is that not only does the model of the filter matter, the model of the car matters too. it says this part is not legal on the TJ. so maybe it's legal on a dodge for example, but not on a TJ, and that's why it has a CARB number.

Here is the form to request a replacement CARB sticker from K&N. https://www.knfilters.com/media/pdf/EODecalForm.pdf
wouldn't the person who installed this need to have registered his filter on that site for this form to work? this guy didn't seem like the type who would bother to register it.

if you have a friend with a tj with stock air box, borrow it...smog jeep...return it and have two more years to figure it out...
the guy that i bought the TJ from actually gave me the original black box, but not the tube. sorry I dont know the part names. by box I mean that black plastic part that bolts down to the jeep and it looks like a big black box and the air filter is inside it. I have that. but I dont have anything else, I dont have any tubes or hoses. I dont have any friends.

I live in Commiefornia as well and have the windstar intake for my highline fenders. I've found that if you take it to an old chinese man who doesn't give a shit you'll pass.
I also know a smog guy who will give me a hard time at first but then if I say come on man he will probably pass it. But I am just concerned about the legal side, because if I sell this jeep and the buyer finds out there is an illegal part in there he might get me in trouble with DMV, I don't want to mess with governmental stuff.

thanks guy, I understand that I may sound like a nut job / crazy / paranoid and you're not the first to tell me this.

Reactions: 02GreenTJ
You'd seriously be better off replacing that known dirt and dust passer with OE air intake box with a good high quality paper element air filter like from AC-Delco. And you'd get the same performance. Seriously.

The below is one of many ISO lab certified tests that show just how dirt and crap passes through a K&N.

Note the bolded text under the chart...
K&N Chart with Text~2.JPG

thanks guy, I understand that I may sound like a nut job / crazy / paranoid and you're not the first to tell me this.
You are making this way too complicated. You have three choices:
  1. use the form provided and try to get an EO sticker
  2. buy a used OEM intake system and sell or trash the K&N
  3. burn the Jeep to the ground and walk away

• Haha
Reactions: Fishtaco
You'd seriously be better off replacing that known dirt and dust passer with OE air intake box with a good high quality paper element air filter like from AC-Delco. And you'd get the same performance. Seriously.

The below is one of many ISO lab certified tests that show just how dirt and crap passes through a K&N.

Note the bolded text under the chart...
View attachment 239215
This is exactly why I just hunted a stick air box down for my rig. I managed to find a guy selling 2, he wouldn’t part with just one so now I will have a back up 🤪

And there you all are slagging off Australian rules that are actually genuine "Road Safety" concerns lol You Californicators should have voted for Trump lol
China aint Smoggin Nutting eva! Just let ya breeze take it out and bring it back in again like every other costal state in the world. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Dunkut88TJ