Kanati Mud Hog or Patagonia tires?

I sell all brands and don't have a vested interest in any particular brand.

That said...which one between your two mentioned?

N
E
I
T
H
E
R

The Patagonia MT is possibly the worst MT ever made.
The center bead is bad enough but then you add a crown profile to it as well...
Absolutely positively a terrible design. I honestly believe there was a meeting in the back of a short bus with crayons and they came up with those Patagonia thing ma jings.

Kunati is a complete copy cat of other brands made in Indonesia. The Mud Hog is a copy of the Original Goodyear MTR...
The Trail Hog is a copy of Duratracs.
Perhaps not identical but damn close enough it's really obvious what they're trying to do.
We've sold retread tires with an MTR direct copy recapped in the United States I'd recommend before these tires.

One thing I can tell you with off road tires...
Reputation means a lot.
Mickey Thompson...
Goodyear
Super Swamper
BFGoodrich

They wear better, perform better and honestly at the end of the day you don't save shit. Cheaper up front but being dissatisfied is worth what?

Perhaps you don't care and maybe your Jeep sees 2k miles per year and an occasional mud puddle but if it's any driving of normal mileage and real off roading I'd seriously consider one of the above brands I mentioned. You aren't just paying for a name...and they are worth far more than that 40-50 bucks per tire savings today in about 18-24 months. Mark my words.

It's your money though...

I briefly looked at the KAnati. But figured there was a reason they were half the price of a good tire.

Ended up with a Maxxis Razr. Not the most expensive. So far I really like them. Time will tell.
one thing about tires is people change out a worn out set to new tread, so naturally they perform better than the bald set. That does not make them a better tire. Neither does only getting 10k miles out of a set.

I was on the pat bus for a while seems to be good reviews and what not, but stumbled upon a set of Maxxis Rzr for a good deal brand new so went that route instead.

Reactions: Gollywomper
I was on the pat bus for a while seems to be good reviews and what not, but stumbled upon a set of Maxxis Rzr for a good deal brand new so went that route instead.
I only have a couple snow trips on my rzrs. But so far I really like them. Heavy but I like them. They will get better when I get some sidewall flex to them. New tires are stiff for
Off-road.

I only have a couple snow trips on my rzrs. But so far I really like them. Heavy but I like them. They will get better when I get some sidewall flex to them. New tires are stiff for
Off-road.

same boat mine prob have like 200 miles tops on them so far and still a little firm, I was very happy they are not that loud at all.

I have no experience with either, but from everything you'll read (almost everything) on this forum, Patagonia tires are complete shit. Arguably one of the shittiest tires you can buy.

Like I said, I have never run them myself, but read around on here and you'll see that if you actually plan on wheeling, you want a much better tire.

I'd pony up the money and buy a better tire such as a Goodyear MT/R, KM3, etc. My Nitto TrailGrapplers have been good to me, but they are also heavy as hell compared to an MT/R.
I've never heard of it until just now, but it is entirely possible that Kanati Mud Hog is a better tire than the Patagonia. The Mud Hog tread pattern looks like a copy of the original MTR which makes it automatically better in that respect.
yes and their trail Hog is a copy of a Duratracs. But with 3 ply walls. What drew me to these tires is they all have 3 ply sidea.

Cooper Evolution is 2 ply. Not really trying to save money. Just wanting a aggressive 295 that isn’t super heavy.

What ever is your motivation towards cheaper tires, remember that this is once in 5 years investment.
If you can not figure out how to make up 100$ per tire difference in 5 years, something needs to be revamped in your life.
I’ve had MT/R and currently KO2s.so I wanted something different. Aggressive, but trying to watch weight, not about $

Both the tires have a lot of great reviews on Amazon, FB groups etc..

I sell all brands and don't have a vested interest in any particular brand.

That said...which one between your two mentioned?

N
E
I
T
H
E
R

The Patagonia MT is possibly the worst MT ever made.
The center bead is bad enough but then you add a crown profile to it as well...
Absolutely positively a terrible design. I honestly believe there was a meeting in the back of a short bus with crayons and they came up with those Patagonia thing ma jings.

Kunati is a complete copy cat of other brands made in Indonesia. The Mud Hog is a copy of the Original Goodyear MTR...
The Trail Hog is a copy of Duratracs.
Perhaps not identical but damn close enough it's really obvious what they're trying to do.
We've sold retread tires with an MTR direct copy recapped in the United States I'd recommend before these tires.

One thing I can tell you with off road tires...
Reputation means a lot.
Mickey Thompson...
Goodyear
Super Swamper
BFGoodrich

They wear better, perform better and honestly at the end of the day you don't save shit. Cheaper up front but being dissatisfied is worth what?

Perhaps you don't care and maybe your Jeep sees 2k miles per year and an occasional mud puddle but if it's any driving of normal mileage and real off roading I'd seriously consider one of the above brands I mentioned. You aren't just paying for a name...and they are worth far more than that 40-50 bucks per tire savings today in about 18-24 months. Mark my words.

It's your money though...
Thanks for this. I liked the idea of the Kanati being a copy. Their Trail Hog looks like a Duratrac, but says it has a 3 ply side.

I currently have KO2s on a JK yes they wear well. But traction sucks. Watched a review comparing PAT MT vs Goodyear MT and the Pat had better traction. It gets confusing

Also have Falken AT3. They’re better but wish they were better in mud

Wear for me is not on the top of the list. I don’t put a lot of miles. Tires will rot on me before I wear them out! This Jeep gets garaged for 5-6 months a year anyhow.

Last edited:
I have Pats on my Tundra and will never buy them, the recommended street PSI (for longer life) on a slick day sucks!!! I've seen Pat's that are cupped from dropping the PSI for more traction on road. I would never put them on my Jeep as my tundra was the experiment. Previously to the Pats I had Cooper STT Pro and they are great tires but loud on the highway, they last for awhile too.I have Nitto Trail Grapplers on my TJ and love them but they are heavy as shit. When my Pat's are done I will be going back to Cooper or looking at BF Goodrich and Nittos.

Reactions: Jeff Allan
I’ve had MT/R and currently KO2s.so I wanted something different. Aggressive, but trying to watch weight, not about $

Both the tires have a lot of great reviews on Amazon, FB groups etc..
I've road driven and wheeled the Patagonias for past 3 years. For the price they did pretty good, i got them for $220/tire when they first came out. I have not had a "good" tire to compare against. The Patagonia is a fine road tire with aggressive looks. I have made obstacles that others haven't and plenty of times haven't made obstacles others have. They really suffer on steep wet rock. If its flat wet rock they do okay, if its steep dry rock ok, steep wet rock.... no bueno. They are quieter than my Baja Bosses on the road. They wore really even for me on road driving with regular rotations. If i was doing it again, just based on the work it takes to switch tires on beadlocks i wouldn't skimp on tires. The MTR is actually lighter than the Patagonia, FWIW.

O
Thanks for this. I liked the idea of the Kanati being a copy. Their Trail Hog looks like a Duratrac, but says it has a 3 ply side.

I currently have KO2s on a JK yes they wear well. But traction sucks. Watched a review comparing PAT MT vs Goodyear MT and the Pat had better traction. It gets confusing

Also have Falken AT3. They’re better but wish they were better in mud

Wear for me is not on the top of the list. I don’t put a lot of miles. Tires will rot on me before I wear them out! This Jeep gets garaged for 5-6 months a year anyhow.
I didn't specify KO2....

Just BFG the brand.

All terrains (any) are marginally better than All seasons. Yes I'm serious. Show me someone that says I got stuck with those all season tires but wait until Johnny comes with his all terrains and we'll get right through. 🙄
If you're stuck with all seasons you're in trouble with All terrains. It's just that simple.
Allow me to explain.....the AS/AT tires suck in mud and deep snow. I'm talking real mud. Not a mud puddle with hard bottom. Hell slick tires could propel through that.
Real mud and real snow (more than a coating) the AS/AT are bad. Really bad. They clog with mud just looking at the hole.

That said the "mud tire" equally sucks on the hard packed snow/ice and they're not as pavement friendly as the AS/AT.

Back to your Kanati. You keep talking about 3 ply, 3 ply, 3 ply oh my....
It's a 3 ply sidewall that weighs 60 pounds.
We can look at brand X and it's a 3 ply @ 70 pounds. Yet has equal to or even less lug than the Mud Hog. So where is the 10 pounds coming from?
I'll tell you where. The material.
Just because a mfg says 3 ply it doesn't mean much if the material is shit.

I see you keep referencing mud...I'll let you in on the obvious..🤣.. notice how every mfg now has a "mud tire"?
LOL...they're all the god damn same thing. Look at them. I sell them every damn day.
We'll use the Mickey Thompson MTZ and bfg MT as the base....
Look at how many tires now called "mud tire" that are eerily similar to those tires.
Kenda Klever, Maxxis buckshot, maxxis razr, Toyo MT, Hankook MT, cooper, blah blah blah. Add in a whole slew of off the radar brands and you've got "mud tires" out the ass with all the same basic damn tread pattern.

It's absolutely amazing how people will fall on the sword for "their brand" yet get no commission whatsoever other than self preservation of their own purchase. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

If someone says the kenda klever is amazing well shit sheriff then the mickey mtz is amazing too. If the Toyo MT is great well so is the Hankook MT.

Back to you...
You keep saying mud....

I'll give you two tires that are the best in mud that aren't a bogger.
Both radials and the size difference to what you seek is negligible.
Super Swamper SSR
model# SSR-85R
33 x12.50x17
The actual size is
33.4 and 11.9 cross section. 70 lbs.

Your mud hog is 33.5 x 11.8 cross section.

The second one...
Swamper TRXUS MT
RXM-13R
Actual is
33.2 height 12.3 cross section (1/2 inch wider than mud hog) NEGLIGIBLE

If you want a real mud tire with decent street behavior...those are it.

Remember..
Super swamper with the Three Stage Lug design set the bar on mud tires.
The set the bar and that design is still king of the hill.
It's top notch quality as well.

If price isn't of concern the above is my recommendation for your specified size and need for a real "mud tire"

Good luck

Reactions: Chris
Ply can get confusing too. Many manufacturers use thicker wire and less plies to achieve more strength and less complexity while still allowing the sidewall to flex. Some use thinner wire and more plies as marketing wank. Depends a lot of the load carrying capacity needed as well.

Buy a trusted brand, made in the USA if possible. (BFG, Nitto, Cooper, Mickey etc.).

O

I didn't specify KO2....

Just BFG the brand.

All terrains (any) are marginally better than All seasons. Yes I'm serious. Show me someone that says I got stuck with those all season tires but wait until Johnny comes with his all terrains and we'll get right through. 🙄
If you're stuck with all seasons you're in trouble with All terrains. It's just that simple.
Allow me to explain.....the AS/AT tires suck in mud and deep snow. I'm talking real mud. Not a mud puddle with hard bottom. Hell slick tires could propel through that.
Real mud and real snow (more than a coating) the AS/AT are bad. Really bad. They clog with mud just looking at the hole.

That said the "mud tire" equally sucks on the hard packed snow/ice and they're not as pavement friendly as the AS/AT.

We can look at brand X and it's a 3 ply @ 70 pounds. Yet has equal to or even less lug than the Mud Hog. So where is the 10 pounds coming from?

I see you keep referencing mud...I'll let you in on the obvious..🤣.. notice how every mfg now has a "mud tire"?
LOL...they're all the god damn same thing. Look at them. I sell them every damn day.
Look at how many tires now called "mud tire" that are eerily similar to those tires.
Kenda Klever, Maxxis buckshot, maxxis razr, Toyo MT, Hankook MT, cooper, blah blah blah. Add in a whole slew of off the radar brands and you've got "mud tires" out the ass with all the same basic damn tread pattern.

It's absolutely amazing how people will fall on the sword for "their brand" yet get no commission whatsoever other than self preservation of their own purchase. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

If someone says the kenda klever is amazing well shit sheriff then the mickey mtz is amazing too. If the Toyo MT is great well so is the H
I brought up KO2s and Goodyear MTs because that's what I've used. Higher end, quality tires. You brought up some good points, tho' I'm not looking for the ultimate or "real" mud tire. I really am interested in the hybrid types as well. Just want a nice aggressive look and something that has better traction than what I've had, and works well in a variety of terrains. so I may give the Kanati's a try. While they copy the Goodyear,... Read a guy did an update on an old post says he got 92K out of a set! Cheap enough to give 'em a try.Thanks!

Last edited:
I brought up KO2s and Goodyear MTs because that's what I've used. Higher end, quality tires. You brought up some good points, tho' I'm not looking for the ultimate or "real" mud tire. I really am interested in the hybrid types as well. Just want a nice aggressive look and something that has better traction than what I've had, and works well in a variety of terrains. so I may give the Kanati's a try. While they copy the Goodyear,... Read a guy did an update on an old post says he got 92K out of a set! Cheap enough to give 'em a try.Thanks!
But there aren't really any hybrids.
They're a "mud tire" and the on road characteristics are that of a mud tire.
Not quiet. Sucky on hard packed snow and ice. If you don't rotate religiously they wear like shit. Hi spots slapping the pavement makes an ungodly annoying sound. A new mud tire or properly worn mud tire is actually a pleasant hum.
A badly worn MT sounds like shit. Perhaps paper cuts are more pleasant.

Off road is where the separation happens.

I didn't suggest boggers as that is an extreme and the ultimate mud tire.

That said you appear to want a "mud tire" and I'm telling you there are much better options than patagnoshititsjunk and the Kanati mud hog.

You asked for opinions of two tires and my opinion is neither of those.

You can do much better but it's your bread.

The Patagonia does fine for me, on a mostly trailered Jeep that sees mostly dry dirt and rock. And I've ran all the tires. :) They suck on anything wet, but are very quiet. Don't last long on the road either. Look like a copy of the old Kelly Safari. Duratrac would be a better option in that style of tire.

I have them on my JK, but only because my buddy races on them and is a dealer (King of the Hammer take-offs). They are an import tire, and are priced and perform as such.

My favorite is Nitto Terra Grappler for the PNW.

PXL_20210403_182137957.jpg

O

I didn't specify KO2....

Just BFG the brand.

If someone says the kenda klever is amazing well shit sheriff then the mickey mtz is amazing too. If the Toyo MT is great well so is the Hankook MT.

Back to you...
You keep saying mud....

I'll give you two tires that are the best in mud that aren't a bogger.
Both radials and the size difference to what you seek is negligible.
Super Swamper SSR
model# SSR-85R
33 x12.50x17
The actual size is
33.4 and 11.9 cross section. 70 lbs.

Your mud hog is 33.5 x 11.8 cross section.

The second one...
Swamper TRXUS MT
RXM-13R
Actual is
33.2 height 12.3 cross section (1/2 inch wider than mud hog) NEGLIGIBLE

If you want a real mud tire with decent street behavior...those are it.

Remember..
Super swamper with the Three Stage Lug design set the bar on mud tires.
The set the bar and that design is still king of the hill.
It's top notch quality as well.

If price isn't of concern the above is my recommendation for your specified size and need for a real "mud tire"

Good luck
I was in the tire industry for years and agree with everything you say.

One of my favorite tires was always the SSR, but disagree with the TRXUS MT being a good tire.

I think it was one of the worst mud tires I ever had on my FJ40 and my 01 tj.

They wore so damn fast, barely got 25k out of them. They also weren't that great in the mud. They would tend to clog up easily. I attibute that to the tread block being a little to tight.

SSR's I would constantly get 40k out of them, but they took a ton of weight, and never liked staying balanced.

The plain jane Swamper TSL bias or radial was a great mud tire, except with the lack of siping which made for fun driving in the rain.

I would still be running Swampers but Interco is kinda out of touch with their pricing. They are usually around $100.00 more per tire than their competitors ( BFG, GY,MT).

Currently running M/T Baja MTZ-P3. I went through several sets before I got 4 that would not take a TON of weight and would Roadforce within spec.

They seem ok, but man they are loud A/F on the highway. They have about 15k on them and show minimal wear.