Kanati Mud Hog or Patagonia tires?

Jeff Allan

TJ Enthusiast
'04 Rubi, 5 speed. Been in hibernating over winter, avoiding the salt. Can't wait to get my build going... After a lot of research, I'm liking either the Patagonia MT or Kanati Mud Hog. The Moab rims don't have enough BS so I'm going with 17" rims and 295/70/17 tires (33.5"). I like the metric sizes, they're not as wide, saves a bit on weight, and I prefer the look. Right now I have 285s on with 2" spacers for lift. Will a 3" BDS lift be a good choice? Or a 2" and a 1" body lift better option?

As for gears, right now, the thing is super peppy and no problem doing 90 +mph on the highway. A few people I talked with run this size and say it works pretty well with 4.10 stock gears. I don't do any hardcore stuff. muddy/dirt trails, gravel, snow, and want to get to the dunes one of these days.

I'd like to go to a 35", every since I saw the Tomb Raider movie! ha.. but then it seems I need to do a lot more stuff for 35"s and probably would need to regear, so I'm trying to find the biggest tire that'll still work decent with my stock gears.

trying to plan this out before I start spending.

Last edited:
I have no experience with either, but from everything you'll read (almost everything) on this forum, Patagonia tires are complete shit. Arguably one of the shittiest tires you can buy.

Like I said, I have never run them myself, but read around on here and you'll see that if you actually plan on wheeling, you want a much better tire.

I'd pony up the money and buy a better tire such as a Goodyear MT/R, KM3, etc. My Nitto TrailGrapplers have been good to me, but they are also heavy as hell compared to an MT/R.

Reactions: ARawls88
Take a look at the Cooper Evolution MT. They're just a few bucks more than the Patagonias, and have better reviews. I have no idea about the Kanatis, but don't know anybody who is running them.

Reactions: IrishWake and Chris
'04 Rubi, 5 speed. Been in hibernating over winter, avoiding the salt. Can't wait to get my build going... After a lot of research, I'm liking either the Patagonia MT or Kanati Mud Hog. The Moab rims don't have enough BS so I'm going with 17" rims and 295/70/17 tires (33.5"). I like the metric sizes, they're not as wide, saves a bit on weight, and I prefer the look. Right now I have 285s on with 2" spacers for lift. Will a 3" BDS lift be a good choice? Or a 2" and a 1" body lift better option?

As for gears, right now, the thing is super peppy and no problem doing 90 +mph on the highway. A few people I talked with run this size and say it works pretty well with 4.10 stock gears. I don't do any hardcore stuff. muddy/dirt trails, gravel, snow, and want to get to the dunes one of these days.

I'd like to go to a 35", every since I saw the Tomb Raider movie! ha.. but then it seems I need to do a lot more stuff for 35"s and probably would need to regear, so I'm trying to find the biggest tire that'll still work decent with my stock gears.

trying to plan this out before I start spending.
You need 5” of lift for 35’s and with that transmission I’d get 5.13 gears.

Biggest tire I would run is what you’re running now.

Reactions: Jeff Allan
Having seen a good quality build be castrated by Patagonias, avoid them at all costs.
I've never heard of it until just now, but it is entirely possible that Kanati Mud Hog is a better tire than the Patagonia. The Mud Hog tread pattern looks like a copy of the original MTR which makes it automatically better in that respect.

Reactions: rasband
What ever is your motivation towards cheaper tires, remember that this is once in 5 years investment.
If you can not figure out how to make up 100$ per tire difference in 5 years, something needs to be revamped in your life.

Tires are like headlamps, windshield wipers, seats, seat covers etc., subjective.

I have pats on my jeep and love em! A friend of mine has kanati on his JKUR, maybe a couple of thousand miles and he's noticing them getting louder.

He's looking to sell his mud hogs and get some pats

Tires are like headlamps, windshield wipers, seats, seat covers etc., subjective.

I’d pretty strongly disagree, they either grip or they don’t and they either have a good tread life or they don’t. Granted I’ve never run Patagonia’s myself, but I’ve witnessed on multiple occasions a good driver in a good rig have a hell of a time on multiple occasions AND have terrible treadlife. Now they may perform better elsewhere, but that’s not subjectivity - it’s geography.

I've not noticed any of my friends in LJs without Pats conquering feats that I may've failed.

As for mileage, I have a set with 40k on em and have no reason to believe they won't go another 20k, prob won't be much left of em @60k though. I do however rotate them every 2-4k mi, and do a 5 tire rotation.

I think they're great tires, others don't like em.

There's always gonna be an exception!

Last edited:
I've not noticed any of my friends in LJs without Pats conquering feats that I may've failed.

As for mileage, I have a set with 40k on em and have no reason to believe they won't go another 20k, prob won't be much left of em @60k though. I do however rotate them every 2-4k mi, and do a 5 tire rotation.

I think they're great tires, others don't like em.
This may speak toward my uneasiness toward them - seems like performance and quality is all over the map. But I don’t have a dog in this fight, time will tell on my new-ish MTR/Ks.

Patagonias are a garbage tire in every context outside of a tire fire. Anyone who thinks otherwise would be happy with any tire.

• Haha
Reactions: SvtLdr and rasband
Imho, the higher the price becomes on the Pats the more it will negate purchasing them.

I run Patagonia's and love em. Never had a problem and they run quiet on the road. I know several others who have them and love em as well.

Patagonia's are fine tires. Anyone who thinks otherwise usually just can't drive offroad and needs something to blame. 😉
200.gif

I've got Pats on both Jeeps... 3.5 years on the JKU and 25,000 miles. Perfect wear and not a single issue. Still 14/32's on them. The 35's on the LJ are too new to really comment on. But nobody has left me behind because I didn't have traction. Will it happen? Who knows... Balance well, tow my trailer well, ride nice.... We have dozens of users on another forum and a very small number of disappointed users. But make no mistake, you like or you don't like, there is NO middle ground.