Kayak mounting options

Hey everyone, my gf and i plan on buying a couple of kayaks. we have an 05 wrangler with soft top and stock bumpers. What are our options to mount two kayaks to the top of our wrangler? thanks in advance.

c94d509a5b56ff8b3c45d02ed9b4ede3.jpg
2140c9b6d7873d8f52bea02ee14320f7.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nice! In Montana if you don't have a roof rack something is seriously wrong. Jeep looks good there!

As atrizzy said. I only transported one kayak, but I lowered the soft top and tied it directly to the roll bars. Another option is something like this: surfboard soft rack. I have a single one for my surfboard and it works great. I strap one as close to the windshield as I can possible get it and the other across the roll bar.

I installed a sturdy & tall lightbar a few weeks ago. I put the lights under the bar so I can put my kayak on top of it. I need to design something for the back. Until then, I'll put foam between the roll bar and my yak in order to protect my soft top.

20170302_071224.jpg

20170302_070439.jpg

Lights installed under the bar so kayaks can sit on top.
20170302_070523.jpg

Reactions: PCO6
(Off topic)

@Chris, that's the Optic Armor windshield I told you about. There's no trim on the outside because it's designed to not use it. I just reused the inner trim.

Nice setup and good looking jeep all round! :thumbsup: What rack is that and if you don't mind ... lift, tire size & type of flares too?

I currently trailer my kayaks and although it works and they're easy to loan and unload I'm thinking of a set up like yours ... so I can trailer more stuff! (lol)

picture.php?albumid=4455&pictureid=63921.jpg

Reactions: JP13
(Off topic)

@Chris, that's the Optic Armor windshield I told you about. There's no trim on the outside because it's designed to not use it. I just reused the inner trim.

That's really impressive! It looks almost OE until you really pay attention!

Reactions: JP13
I use a the base rack without the basket, similar to the light bar approach. I attached some scrap wood to the bars directly to get me through last year so I could slide the kayak on the wood instead of the bars. This year I plan to do similar, but use that white PVC "trim wood" and paint it black to match the rack, then mount my old cross bars to the wood so I can use my kayak rollers again. If I get it done in March I'll post an update!

jeep_swing.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Hey everyone, my gf and i plan on buying a couple of kayaks. we have an 05 wrangler with soft top and stock bumpers. What are our options to mount two kayaks to the top of our wrangler? thanks in advance.
I have a 2004 LJ with soft top. I built a trailer for the kayaks and just tow them. However, since I don't need to always take both kayaks and sometimes want to go on soft beaches that the trailer wheels don't handle well, I am looking for a roof mount option that still allows for easy sundrider option. Want to use my windshield light bar as the front cross support. See pics of silver Jeep.
Curious if anyone has an option for a rear cross bar like the one sharpwrax makes in the USA (black Jeep pic) Sharpwrax is in Australia and the shipping cost make it hard to justify a purchase. Any help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0634.JPG

Nice soft-top options, but what about with a hard-top? Brother and I are contemplating kayaks.